McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Auk its the same oul chestnut, county managers want to eat their cake and then still have it. Its a first world problem and Bonner is behaving like a child. I'm sure the same boy will decimate the Donegal club schedule given half a chance to suit his own agenda too.

At the end of the day you either want to go out and play a game of football or you don't. Bonner wants a round trip on expenses to watch the Sigerson lads but doesn't want to put on the fleece and wellies for the lesser knowns to represent their county.

Theres a finite amount of football to be played and whatever his epitaph he's downed tools on 1 possibly 2 days out managing Donegal, which seems odd because I'd guess he applied for the job and articulated his desire to manage the Donegal footballers, now hes presiding over a conceded game when he has the pick of hundreds of players, eejit.

Angelo

Quote from: J70 on January 10, 2020, 02:37:29 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 10, 2020, 01:59:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 10, 2020, 01:50:43 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 10, 2020, 01:35:09 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 10, 2020, 01:21:00 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 10, 2020, 12:26:05 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 10, 2020, 12:22:00 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 10, 2020, 12:09:00 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 10, 2020, 12:04:56 PM
One would presume Bonner thought long and hard about which players he wanted to include in the McKenna Cup with a view to their potential as proper squad members. Naturally a lot of those lads are also going to be on college teams. Are you suggesting that he alter those plans and include non-college players he is less interested in on the off-chance that he might have a semi-final fixture to fulfill? It's a meaningless pre-season tournament, not the World Cup.

The exact same as most counties but Donegal seem to be the only one unwilling to fulfill a fixture. He's made a big scene of throwing his toys out of the pram, if it's not the World Cup then why has he shown such overt displays of petulance?

Evidently not the same as most counties as the other semi-finalists can field teams the same day as the Sigerson.

And what petulance and big scenes are you talking about? We know some of you Tyrone boys dislike Bonner, but you're being a wee bit over-sensitive here. He withdrew from a tournament no one cares about as it didn't work for his squad plans. It's not the end of the world. At worst, Monaghan will go into the final a bit more refreshed than the other finalist.

Evidently they can field because they planned without unavailable players and Donegal planned on playing with unavailable players.

He made a big scene of pulling out from a tournament and bizarrely stood behind player welfare as a reason for it when he wanted to add an extra midweek game into the mix for those players involved.

Clearly Donegal didn't give much, if any, consideration to making the semi. Not disputing that at all. I just don't see the problem with that. Its a pre-season tournament for looking at potential players. not a competition worth taking seriously on its own merits.

The player welfare comments from the county board press comment ARE a bit puzzling, although MAYBE a couple of days might have helped the flu victims recover. It would be nice if the Donegal county board is starting to see the light in that respect though.

But how exactly is pulling out of the tournament making a big scene on Bonner's part? What would you have had them do? Just say nothing and not show up on the night?

He had been bleating for the past week about it then withdrew his team. It's an embarrassment and when you consider it's a county with Donegal's pick and quality that has taken this decision it is even moreso. It has shown the competition enormous disrespect and I think the Ulster Council should suspend Donegal from taking part next year.

As a Donegal man, I'm not in the slightest bit embarrassed. Why should I be embarrassed because the demands of the Sigerson and the McKenna Cups were at odds in terms of the development plans for the Donegal squad for this season? A county team is not Liverpool FC, able to call on a full-time professional youth team to fullfil a fixture in the event of a scheduling conflict.
And the competition is not a person or entity owed respect. Its a pre-season kick-about for the county teams, nothing more. Some take it seriously some years, some never take it seriously. If the Ulster Council want to punish Donegal by barring them next year, I doubt if many will lose sleep over it.

You should be, it's embarrassing. If the Ulster Council punish Donegal and they certainly should, then Bonner will be the first man bleating about not having a warm up competition next year to look at players, assuming he is still in the job.

Every other county has the same issues as Donegal, they're still fulfilling their fixtures, this was something Donegal were aware of before they entered competition, the fixture list was set in stone. They should not have entered the competition if they felt this was going to be an issue.

It's not a scheduling conflict, the McKenna Cup has always had university involvement and those universities have generally had first choice on the county players. He then threw his toys out of the pram when he didn't get his way and gave a contradictory excuse as his reason. The guy is a grade A idiot and he has history too.

Tyrone boys have history too. The rest of us have moved on. Maybe youse should do the same and stop overreacting to Bonner every time he opens his mouth.

Of course it's a scheduling conflict exacerbated by the flu and injuries. Other years are irrelevant. Bonner filled out his squad this year in such a way that it turned out to be a problem the way things unfolded. If Monaghan had scored their last minute penalty, this wouldn't have come up as Donegal would be out. The idea that Bonner should unnecessarily call players he doesn't want into the squad and waste their and his own time, just in case Donegal made the semi-final of the McKenna Cup, a warm-up tournament in January, is laughable.

So we're agreed that it's poor planning from Bonner and he has a brass neck to be trying to deflect blame elsewhere.

The idea that Bonner should choose a squad that can fulfill the fixtures of a competition that they entered in is a reasonable one, for whatever reason he seem flabbergasted that his poor planning has led to this situation.

How can he not see this situation? Donegal should definitely get sanctions over this, if a club side fail to fulfill a fixture, they normally get hit with a fine or a penalty - for a county team it's unforgivable - particularly one with Donegal's pick and quality.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tiempo

Bonner is swinging the lead. He could take a look at any amount of 22-32 year olds who would be fit and raring for even a single game for the county, imagine they played rightly and won, they might even have a final to look forward to. Maybe he should hand the reigns to someone else for this one, or even permanently if he isn't up to the job.

Art Mc Crory’s Sofa

Poor stuff from Donegal. It's a pretty meaningless pre season friendly tournament designed to give players a run out before the league. Surely it's not that hard for the reigning Ulster Chsmps to field 15 players plus 3 or 4 subs for a semi final.

greatpoint

I for one think Declan Bonner should issue a statement to address the concerns of Tyrone supporters.

J70

Quote from: greatpoint on January 10, 2020, 03:11:28 PM
I for one think Declan Bonner should issue a statement to address the concerns of Tyrone supporters.

Going to be a white-hot atmosphere in Ballybofey in May with all this Bonner resentment!  ;D

Aaron Boone

Quote from: J70 on January 10, 2020, 03:42:26 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on January 10, 2020, 03:11:28 PM

Going to be a white-hot atmosphere in Ballybofey in May with all this Bonner resentment!  ;D

That's if the Ulster Council allow Donegal to compete after this week's shenanigans.

manfromdelmonte

A simple solution would be for the GAA to stop 3rd level players from being on county panels until the 3rd level competition is over

bannside

Aa Donegal have pulled out should The Ulster Council not ask the next best placed runner up to take their place??

tonto1888

Quote from: bannside on January 10, 2020, 04:36:17 PM
Aa Donegal have pulled out should The Ulster Council not ask the next best placed runner up to take their place??

Would it be a bit late now with the game on Sunday

bannside

True tbf. Theres some rare boys on here trying to pin this on Bonnar, that's the biggest laugh of all!

The facts are simple if anyone wants to think about it. Bonnar becomes aware that Murphy has dual commitments, and the matter is referred by both Murphy and Bonnar to their county board to deal with the matter. (Quite sensible thing to do I'd say). Murphy then digs heels in and puts his highly paid Sigerson role first. The board go cap in hand to Ulster to see if a resolution can be found by putting the fixture back a couple of days. Ulster Council show zero empathy for the situation. Now......please tell me....what has Bonnar done this time to annoy these Tyrone men on here?? Or put it another way. What would they have done in his shoes?

tyrone08

Quote from: bannside on January 10, 2020, 06:51:19 PM
True tbf. Theres some rare boys on here trying to pin this on Bonnar, that's the biggest laugh of all!

The facts are simple if anyone wants to think about it. Bonnar becomes aware that Murphy has dual commitments, and the matter is referred by both Murphy and Bonnar to their county board to deal with the matter. (Quite sensible thing to do I'd say). Murphy then digs heels in and puts his highly paid Sigerson role first. The board go cap in hand to Ulster to see if a resolution can be found by putting the fixture back a couple of days. Ulster Council show zero empathy for the situation. Now......please tell me....what has Bonnar done this time to annoy these Tyrone men on here?? Or put it another way. What would they have done in his shoes?

2 options really. Plan ahead or tell Michael Murphy that I am the boss not you.

It's ridiculous that he entered the competition knowing that this was going to be an issue. It shows either a lack of planning on his part or a lack of spine if bonnar is referring decisions like this to the board.

I don't care really either way but it dies look bad on Donegal as a whole for pulling out now

Main Street

The real truth is that Donegal chickened out of yet another duel with Monaghan in such a short timespan.

trailer

Donegal and especially Bonner are expert whingers.

imtommygunn

Quote from: trailer on January 11, 2020, 09:09:07 AM
Donegal and especially Bonner are expert whingers.

I love irony ;D