McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Has an entire county of men to pick from but chooses not to give lads a chance to wear the jersey but concede the game, thats childish.
If clubs took the same stance re county players availability where would we be?
Taking himself a wee bit too seriously by the looks of it.

Angelo

Quote from: tiempo on January 10, 2020, 10:23:55 AM
Has an entire county of men to pick from but chooses not to give lads a chance to wear the jersey but concede the game, thats childish.
If clubs took the same stance re county players availability where would we be?
Taking himself a wee bit too seriously by the looks of it.

Absolutely.

Every county is in the same boat as Donegal here, some counties with much smaller picks such as Monagahan too.

It's Declan Bonner throwing his toys out of the pram and not for the first time.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

J70

Quote from: Angelo on January 10, 2020, 09:04:40 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 09, 2020, 11:50:10 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 09, 2020, 10:37:37 PM
Donegal would have been aware of this from the outset. It's not a whole difference to the other 3 semi finalists who will be down a host of panelists. They should be able to field a team.

Who would play?

They're down 13 to the Sigerson and a few more out injured. U-20s are playing Roscommon.

The request to postpone till Tuesday was turned down (talk about an insane schedule). Down apparently also requested such a postponement.

Its a mickey mouse competition. Not much option left.

And Donegal should have been aware of that. I'm sure there are other lads in the county not currently involved with the seniors, colleges or u20s who would not have minded a chance to impress.

Tyrone, Down and Monaghan are all in similar situations. I don't have the exact numbers but I'd imagine Tyrone will also have 10+ involved in Sigerson action.

I've no issue with requesting a postponement but Down haven't pulled out as a result of not getting their own way. There is no reason why a county with Donegal's pick shouldn't be able to field a team.

You're suggesting they just try to draft in a bunch of club players for a one-off game at the weekend with a couple days notice??

What's the point? What's to be gained from that? It sounds like the shit we'd have been at ourselves in basement level junior soccer back in the day when you'd be scrambling to try to find lads to play as ringers.

If other teams are in the same boat, they should withdraw also. It's time for the GAA to start addressing the crazy demands on these young lads.

Angelo

Quote from: J70 on January 10, 2020, 10:36:55 AM
Donegal would have been aware of this from the outset. It's not a whole difference to the other 3 semi finalists who will be down a host of panelists. They should be able to field a team.

Who would play?

They're down 13 to the Sigerson and a few more out injured. U-20s are playing Roscommon.

The request to postpone till Tuesday was turned down (talk about an insane schedule). Down apparently also requested such a postponement.

And Donegal should have been aware of that. I'm sure there are other lads in the county not currently involved with the seniors, colleges or u20s who would not have minded a chance to impress.

Tyrone, Down and Monaghan are all in similar situations. I don't have the exact numbers but I'd imagine Tyrone will also have 10+ involved in Sigerson action.

I've no issue with requesting a postponement but Down haven't pulled out as a result of not getting their own way. There is no reason why a county with Donegal's pick shouldn't be able to field a team.

You're suggesting they just try to draft in a bunch of club players for a one-off game at the weekend with a couple days notice??

What's the point? What's to be gained from that? It sounds like the shit we'd have been at ourselves in basement level junior soccer back in the day when you'd be scrambling to try to find lads to play as ringers.

If other teams are in the same boat, they should withdraw also. It's time for the GAA to start addressing the crazy demands on these young lads.

No, I'm suggesting he assemble a squad that will be available for the McKenna Cup. How many players are Galway, Mayo, Down and Tyrone without this weekend? How many players would Monaghan have been down? Why have none of these teams conceded their games?

What's to be gained from it is that other players get an opportunity. It's complete petulance from Declan Bonner, it's embarrassing.

It's utterly embarrassing for a county of Donegal's size not to be able to field a team.

bannside

Again I totally disagree. These teams are 2 weeks out from the NFL which matters a good bit more than this pre season run around. Managers are more interested in getting settled teams on the pitch and getting off to a good start, not putting out a skeleton squad to fulfil a fixture in a competition that is already struggling for credibility in an already vastly congested fixture list. Put yourself in Bonnars shoes for a minute here.....does he need this hassle if (a) fixtures people cant sort their mess out, (b) the Ulster council wont accede to a straightforward enough request to put the game back a few days or worst of all (c) Murphys throwing his weight about playing power games and dictating to the manager and the Donegal board. I'd say Bonnar really dosent need this at all at this stage. He would be trying to please far too many others at the expense of his own agenda which is to hit the ground running in Div 1 in a few weeks.

tiempo

Quote from: J70 on January 10, 2020, 10:36:55 AM

Who would play?

He should use the resources at his disposal. Instead he's decided to down tools.

MayoBuck

Whatever about the other Ulster sides, the Donegal situation isn't comparable to Mayo and Galway who haven't played a game this year. Donegal just played mid week and probably don't want to flog those players again and risk injury.

This weekend is potentially the only competitive game for Mayo and Galway before the league so almost all non Sigerson players will want to be involved.

bannside

So managers next year should assemble a squad for the Mc Kenna Cup first couple of games and then when they qualify for the semi finals gather up a lot of B grade players who normally wouldnr be near the set up to make up for the ones who wont be available because of fixture balls ups.

Do you really not see how ridiculous this is?  You want to devalue the competition even further?? That's what's totally embarrassing here if you ask me!

J70 I'm with you on this.

bannside

Tell Murphy to work away with Letterkenny if that's where his preferences lie. Money talks.

tiempo

Quote from: bannside on January 10, 2020, 10:54:52 AM
So managers next year should assemble a squad for the Mc Kenna Cup first couple of games and then when they qualify for the semi finals gather up a lot of B grade players who normally wouldnr be near the set up to make up for the ones who wont be available because of fixture balls ups.

Do you really not see how ridiculous this is?  You want to devalue the competition even further?? That's what's totally embarrassing here if you ask me!

He should use the resources at his disposal which is an entire county of fit and able men.

The same manager played the U21s in the competition 2 years ago, plenty of those lads would be 23 now, not on Sigerson teams, not on U20 duty, there are lads in the county who would love the chance to pull on the jersey even if only once.

J70

Other players WERE getting an opportunity.

Here is the Donegal line-up from the Derry game the other night:

Michael Lynch; Caolan Ward (1-1), Brendan McCole, Conor Morrison; Jeaic Mac Ceallbhuí, Conor O'Donnell, Paul Brennan; Caolan McGonagle, Michael Langan (0-3, 1 '45'); Eoin McHugh, Ethan O'Donnell (0-1), Daire Ó Baoill (0-1); Peadar Mogan (0-2, 1f), Michael Carroll, Eoghan McGettigan. Subs: Ciaran Thompson for Carroll (46 mins), Daniel Clarke for McGettigan (48 mins) Andrew McClean (0-1) for E.O'Donnell (53 mins), Ciaran Diver (0-1) for E.McHugh (58 mins), Aaron Deeney for Ward (60 mins).

Likely first choice players for the summer in that team are Langan, Thompson and maybe O'Baoill. If Carroll is truly back, he might be pushing. McCole might be there if Neil McGee is in decline, but its less than a year since Mickey Newman took him to the cleaners in Croke Park. The rest are either cover (Brennan, McConagle, Ward, McHugh) or just breaking into the senior picture.

Angelo

Quote from: J70 on January 10, 2020, 11:02:39 AM

Michael Lynch; Caolan Ward (1-1), Brendan McCole, Conor Morrison; Jeaic Mac Ceallbhuí, Conor O'Donnell, Paul Brennan; Caolan McGonagle, Michael Langan (0-3, 1 '45'); Eoin McHugh, Ethan O'Donnell (0-1), Daire Ó Baoill (0-1); Peadar Mogan (0-2, 1f), Michael Carroll, Eoghan McGettigan. Subs: Ciaran Thompson for Carroll (46 mins), Daniel Clarke for McGettigan (48 mins) Andrew McClean (0-1) for E.O'Donnell (53 mins), Ciaran Diver (0-1) for E.McHugh (58 mins), Aaron Deeney for Ward (60 mins).

Likely first choice players for the summer in that team are Langan, Thompson and maybe O'Baoill. If Carroll is truly back, he might be pushing. McCole might be there if Neil McGee is in decline, but its less than a year since Mickey Newman took him to the cleaners in Croke Park. The rest are either cover (Brennan, McConagle, Ward, McHugh) or just breaking into the senior picture.

So why can't they field a team?

Angelo

This is nothing new with the McKenna Cup. University sides have always drained players away from the county teams, UUJ have consitently had a starting XV of Ulster county players in the McKenna Cup. Teams use the McKenna Cup to try new players out, they will be blended in with experienced or established players with that. Why did Bonner not assemble a squad that could fulfill the competition?

Declan Bonner would have known of the players involved in Sigerson Cup action, he would have known of the chances of players being unavailable for the semi final. He should have planned for that as there are plenty of good footballers in Donegal who would have loved the opportunity to play for the county but did not get that chance.

Instead he has gone and thrown his toys out of the pram. It's embarrassing.

J70

Quote from: Angelo on January 10, 2020, 11:09:58 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 10, 2020, 11:02:39 AM

So why can't they field a team?

Presumably the rest of the squad isn't back, fit and ready yet to go yet, same as every other year in the McKenna Cup.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on January 10, 2020, 11:15:58 AM

This is nothing new with the McKenna Cup. University sides have always drained players away from the county teams, UUJ have consitently had a starting XV of Ulster county players in the McKenna Cup. Teams use the McKenna Cup to try new players out, they will be blended in with experienced or established players with that. Why did Bonner not assemble a squad that could fulfill the competition?

Declan Bonner would have known of the players involved in Sigerson Cup action, he would have known of the chances of players being unavailable for the semi final. He should have planned for that as there are plenty of good footballers in Donegal who would have loved the opportunity to play for the county but did not get that chance.

Instead he has gone and thrown his toys out of the pram. It's embarrassing.

Not particularly, 2 points v Mayo in 2 weeks time there'll never be a word of this again.