Kerry v Throne AIQF - Saturday July 1st

Started by Ciarrai_thuaidh, June 26, 2023, 07:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

The bastid who's making you read it needs shot.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

An Watcher

BennyHarp

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on July 08, 2023, 09:43:03 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 07, 2023, 11:25:24 PM
I don't understand the Kerry mentality here. How does playing a game 7 days later weaken your chances of playing your best game?

Unfortunately the mentality among some Kerry GAA people is that prominent defeats have to be demeaned in some way or other. Easy enough to pull up plenty examples involving just Tyrone. Spillane's puke football jibe in 2003 which was seized upon, the county chairman the following year with the nauseating comments about Kerry saving football, the narrative pushed by some throughout that decade that it was a system or fitness that saw Tyrone win and that Kerry were the better footballers. And Covid in 2021, surely the strangest one yet given an extra week shouldn't have affected Kerry and Tyrone were still weakened. Kerry bounced back to win All Irelands on these occasions but that wasn't enough for some, they still had to try and talk down and cheapen the defeats suffered previously. Not a good look. But still a better one than using a global pandemic in which millions died for the cheapest of laughs.

There were Kerry folk in this era who stood above this - I remember Ger O'Keefe for example speaking with such class in 2005. Others in the county would do well to follow his example.

Good post.

Remember when they tried to claim Stephen O'Neill tried to poison them in 2019? Some of them aren't even gracious winners.
That was never a square ball!!

trueblue1234

Surely we sound as bad now as sore losers giving the complaining some posters do on here. There's times you would be cringing reading it. Reality is fans don't like losing. Tyrone, Kerry, Dublin it doesn't matter, some people just like an auld whinge to cheer them up after a loss.
Kerry has fans every bit as whingy as anyone else. But so do Tyrone.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 08, 2023, 12:12:12 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 08, 2023, 11:37:51 AM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on July 08, 2023, 09:43:03 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 07, 2023, 11:25:24 PM
I don't understand the Kerry mentality here. How does playing a game 7 days later weaken your chances of playing your best game?

Unfortunately the mentality among some Kerry GAA people is that prominent defeats have to be demeaned in some way or other. Easy enough to pull up plenty examples involving just Tyrone. Spillane's puke football jibe in 2003 which was seized upon, the county chairman the following year with the nauseating comments about Kerry saving football, the narrative pushed by some throughout that decade that it was a system or fitness that saw Tyrone win and that Kerry were the better footballers. And Covid in 2021, surely the strangest one yet given an extra week shouldn't have affected Kerry and Tyrone were still weakened. Kerry bounced back to win All Irelands on these occasions but that wasn't enough for some, they still had to try and talk down and cheapen the defeats suffered previously. Not a good look. But still a better one than using a global pandemic in which millions died for the cheapest of laughs.

There were Kerry folk in this era who stood above this - I remember Ger O'Keefe for example speaking with such class in 2005. Others in the county would do well to follow his example.

+1

+2.

But the attempts  to demean Tyrone success and Ulster football were not , are not confined to Kerry .

Some people do seem to think, mainly among their own ranks, they are the saviours of football and any football they play is the way that football should be played but when anyone else does it then it's things like "puke football".

ClubScene13

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/2023/07/11/news/derry_on_a_different_level_to_tyrone_says_kerry_boss_jack_o_connor_ahead_of_semi-final_showdown-3424905/

"We're approaching it in a very serious way in the sense that we're expecting a huge battle here, because all the evidence would point to the fact that Derry are better than Tyrone," O'Connor said.

"They've proved that by winning Ulster the last couple of years. They've also beaten Tyrone pretty comprehensively the last two times they met them.

"They're on another level to Tyrone; therefore, we're expecting a huge battle.

Jack with his usual par for the course swipe at Tyrone. Bitter bitter man. These comments, whether they are true or false, and perhaps they are a correct assessment, are hardly standard discourse from a county manager. How often do you see the previous opponent actually named out loud as being of a weaker standard, would the standard cliche'd "were going up a gear now" not have sufficed. I nearly hope Derry bate them.

Derryman forever

Quote from: ClubScene13 on July 11, 2023, 11:43:57 AM
https://www.irishnews.com/sport/2023/07/11/news/derry_on_a_different_level_to_tyrone_says_kerry_boss_jack_o_connor_ahead_of_semi-final_showdown-3424905/

"We're approaching it in a very serious way in the sense that we're expecting a huge battle here, because all the evidence would point to the fact that Derry are better than Tyrone," O'Connor said.

"They've proved that by winning Ulster the last couple of years. They've also beaten Tyrone pretty comprehensively the last two times they met them.

Jack with his usual par for the course swipe at Tyrone. Bitter bitter man. These comments, whether they are true or false, and perhaps they are a correct assessment, are hardly standard discourse from a county manager. How often do you see the previous opponent actually named out loud as being of a weaker standard, would the standard cliche'd "were going up a gear now" not have sufficed. I nearly hope Derry bate them.

Nearly?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 11, 2023, 11:46:42 AM
That 6 year spell in the noughties has had a serious lasting impact. Before then and since then Kerry have easily had the upper hand but Tyrone continue to live rent free in their heads.
It's odd.

Teams will always use something for motivation, and if this is it then its seems to be working....

Teams can get comfortable after winning games handy so he's just throwing in some comments, seems to have caught a few bites
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ClubScene13

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 11, 2023, 12:07:06 PM

Nearly?9

A true coin flip my man! I live near the border with yous boys, if I was from up the west it might have been Derry all day without pause   ;D

Derryman forever

Quote from: ClubScene13 on July 11, 2023, 12:20:17 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 11, 2023, 12:07:06 PM

Nearly?9

A true coin flip my man! I live near the border with yous boys, if I was from up the west it might have been Derry all day without pause   ;D

Ach! Go on go on, you know you want to.

RedHand88

I hope Derry hammer them into the ground. If anything it might help them find a new county to be bitter over and help them get over a Tyrone obsession that is going 20 years strong now.

Seamus

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 11, 2023, 12:41:32 PM

I hope Derry hammer them into the ground. If anything it might help them find a new county to be bitter over and help them get over a Tyrone obsession that is going 20 years strong now.

Kerry people have zero obsession with Tyrone but most Tyrone supporters want to believe that they do. What Jack said is 100% on the money, no bitterness involved whatsoever. In fact no matter what he says bad losers and bad winners will find a angle to attack him. That goes for any Kerry person in sports media, they are either cute hoors or arrogant. It is easy to know who is bitter, your two sentences are full of it.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

BuzzCagney

Quote from: Seamus on July 12, 2023, 12:02:54 AM

Kerry people have zero obsession with Tyrone but most Tyrone supporters want to believe that they do. What Jack said is 100% on the money, no bitterness involved whatsoever. In fact no matter what he says bad losers and bad winners will find a angle to attack him. That goes for any Kerry person in sports media, they are either cute hoors or arrogant. It is easy to know who is bitter, your two sentences are full of it.

+1

onefineday

Bollox, I know a lot of Kerry people and there's no question but they've got a fear/respect for Tyrone that's unmatched.
I'd take it as a compliment.

Seamus

Quote from: onefineday on July 12, 2023, 01:17:27 AM

Bollox, I know a lot of Kerry people and there's no question but they've got a fear/respect for Tyrone that's unmatched.
I'd take it as a compliment.

Fear and respect for Tyrone, what has that to do with obsession and bitterness, seems to be the opposite to me? Kerry respect all opposition, fear has no place in sport. Fear of what, fear of losing?  Keep fear out of our lives please, the main reason that the world is in the state it is in. We got plenty of that for the last three and a half years.  Are you fearful of Kerry on Sunday?

The agony and ecstasy is all part of sport, the agony makes the ecstasy greater. If Kerry were winning all the time I would give up following the sport. Win or lose, shake the opponents hand and move on. It is just sport at the end of the day, far greater fish to fry.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".