Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArmaghPaddy

Peileadoir...this isn't really an issue for social media as I believe there are issues there that I am not really privy to, however, suffice to say, the lad in question warranted his place within the team and has been a consistent performer throughout.

ArmaghPaddy

Milltown Row...completely agree with you! The post was filled on 27/28th January, with no one beating the door down looking to give a hand. We have tried our best under the circumstances and those within and close to the Squad are fully aware of that and appreciate what we have tried to do. There are many little things that need addressed and a long term approach to the county minor team would, I agree, be an excellent first step!

DuffleKing

Quote from: Peileadoir on May 01, 2018, 09:35:09 AM
Never mind over trained, I have it on good authority that one of the starting full forward line on the team v Fermanagh has not played ANY football for his club in 18 months and only plays hurling. His club did not put his name forward for trials as he told them he was only playing hurling this year and yet somehow he was selected for the minor county team. The club did not even know he was on the panel until last week. Bizarre! Great communication from the management. Would a kid in Tyrone who doesnt play football for his club and who doesnt go to a school that plays football even be considered for county selection? Not a chance! Not a bit of wonder we only scored 8 points!

Actually these are the exact circumstances under which Peter Canavan played minor football for Tyrone. There was a dispute in the parish and for a number of years many players played only schools and county football while hurling for their club.

Sweeper 123

what baffles me is how come none of the U16 winning team from the year before never made the squad - some fantastic players on that team and certainly deserving of a start.

Sweeper 123

oops - that would explain it - no longer baffled

Belfast GAA man

ArmaghPaddy fair play to you and the work you have put in.

Would you not have been better going to the county board with your plans and asking them to get agreement from the clubs? Perhaps getting the clubs to vote on a proposal as regards access to players? Going to individual coaches I think you were always going to mixed response with no agreement in place.... from previous posts it seems you may have only had less than half the clubs represented at your meeting

ArmaghPaddy

100% Belfast GAA man...it was one of a number of things that I learned from this experience! It has been a massive learning curve for me and I will defo take that from the season.

old timers

Quote from: ArmaghPaddy on May 02, 2018, 12:45:30 PM
100% Belfast GAA man...it was one of a number of things that I learned from this experience! It has been a massive learning curve for me and I will defo take that from the season.

What I learned over the years is that you dont always get the "best" footballers/hurlers to even go to the trials or take part in any way. This has been said many times on this board.  Alot of young ones, especially at that age, have their own minds and views on what the County is or is not and find a reason not to go.  The kids that show up are the ones to focus on.  You will have learned many things taking a ANY team, club or county but if you have helped at least one or two, to better themselves as a player and more importantly as a "team player" then it is worth it. 

ArmaghPaddy

Thanks Old Timers...hopefully I have 🤞. You're right about Players not attending or making themselves available. I believe the county needs to market themselves better and, perhaps, go above and beyond what other counties are doing in order to attract the top players. It's an honour/privilege to play for Dubs/Tyrone/Kerry etc, but that isn't the case here yet, I believe. That being the case, we need to be more proactive in making it an attractive proposition...unfortunately, that'll take money! 🙈

Milltown Row2

Or if they fed them  ::)! Seems to be one reason why (well a couple posters here believe)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Spike

Quote from: ArmaghPaddy on May 03, 2018, 09:57:44 AM
Thanks Old Timers...hopefully I have 🤞. You're right about Players not attending or making themselves available. I believe the county needs to market themselves better and, perhaps, go above and beyond what other counties are doing in order to attract the top players. It's an honour/privilege to play for Dubs/Tyrone/Kerry etc, but that isn't the case here yet, I believe. That being the case, we need to be more proactive in making it an attractive proposition...unfortunately, that'll take money! 🙈

You're quite right, the county needs to go above and beyond with its marketing drive. The fact is it doesn't really feel like an honour to play for Antrim, and some clubs are very detached from the whole setup. Its nice to have experienced intercounty competition but its certainly not the be all and end all like it is in tyrone etc. 

darrenNGA

St Endas in Division 1 and playing intermediate championship??

Christmas Lights

Can anyone stop the Cargin juggernaut?  Relentless stuff.  I actually cant see them losing a game this year in league or championship under this new management.  The real test though is will they be able to mount an Ulster challenge this time around.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 03, 2018, 12:45:24 PM
Can anyone stop the Cargin juggernaut?  Relentless stuff.  I actually cant see them losing a game this year in league or championship under this new management.  The real test though is will they be able to mount an Ulster challenge this time around.

Aging team, won't have it for Ulster, should win Antrim though..Favourites
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Pjoe

Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 03, 2018, 12:45:24 PM

Have you seen them this year? I've watched them a couple of times - I wouldn't describe them as a juggernaut - more like a mini with dirty petrol in the tank!

Watched them play St Teresa's on Sunday - one of the poorest games I've seen at any level for some time.  St Teresa's had the game for the taking - missed a penalty and then pressed the self-destruct button with 3 men sent of.