Trevor Brennan does a Cantona!

Started by GalwayBayBoy, January 21, 2007, 08:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

QuoteSomeone rang into the radio and said the chanting went on for 10-15 minutes.  Excuse me for not writing down his  name and address.

How can they have chanted for 15 minutes when Brennan was only out for 3 or 4 minutes and was then dragged back to the changing room.

QuoteBtw why is sammy's "I've just spoken to a lad" ok??
Not on it's own, but when he was actually there and his account matches the accounts of others who were there, then it adds to the evidence. The only evidence for the alledged sectarian/mother abuse is some callers to an RTE phone-in, who weren't at the match.

pintsofguinness

QuoteHow can they have chanted for 15 minutes when Brennan was only out for 3 or 4 minutes and was then dragged back to the changing room.
Ask the person who rang into the radio!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Evil Genius

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 22, 2007, 07:17:13 PM
Someone rang into the radio and said the chanting went on for 10-15 minutes.  Excuse me for not writing down his  name and address.

Btw why is sammy's "I've just spoken to a lad" ok??

So it's your "Someone" who "rang into the radio and said the chanting went on for 10-15 minutes" against a named journalist, who provided an eye-witness account on the website of one of the world's best known and authoritative newsrooms?

Pathetic.

Btw, if you wish to challenge SammyG on his post, why don't you, er, challenge Sammy? I made no reference to it (in fact, I hadn't even read it, since I was posting at the time!)...
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

pintsofguinness

QuoteSo it's your "Someone" who "rang into the radio and said the chanting went on for 10-15 minutes" against a named journalist, who provided an eye-witness account on the website of one of the world's best known and authoritative newsrooms?
:D  :D  :D
The BBC has never told a lie  :D  :D  :D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Evil Genius

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 22, 2007, 07:36:06 PM
QuoteSo it's your "Someone" who "rang into the radio and said the chanting went on for 10-15 minutes" against a named journalist, who provided an eye-witness account on the website of one of the world's best known and authoritative newsrooms?
:D  :D  :D
The BBC has never told a lie  :D  :D  :D

I'm sure it has, just as do callers to phone-in radio stations, or even posters on websites.

However, what cause would Fowler have to make it up? After all, "TB lays into Bigoted Hooligan after Prolonged Abuse" makes just as good a headline. Or must Fowler inevitably be biased, as well?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Donagh

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 22, 2007, 07:21:28 PM
Quote from: Donagh on January 22, 2007, 07:01:08 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on January 22, 2007, 06:51:19 PM
You are claiming that his mother was insulted and he was subjected to sectarian abuse (both?), for a full 15 minutes. Where is your source for this? And by "source", I don't mean something beginning with "I heard...", or "it's on a website...", try being specifi, you know, names, web addresses, newspapers etc.

I had already posted the source for this earlier. The allegations were made by callers to Liveline this afternoon. It can be downloaded from the RTE website.

So we're supposed to take your recall, of a radio phone-in programme, no doubt fuelled by the  usual bunch of tossers who make up most of those audiences, as a "source"?

Why don't you download it and post it here, so that we can all judge it? After all, it's your source.

Go fcuk yourself. You asked for the source and I told you where it was.

Josey Whales

Toulouse Rugby also issued a statement on Monday, defending Brennan and claiming that he acted in response to "repeated provocation" by Ulster supporters.

The French club claimed that fans had made repeated references to the forward's mother and added that "such supporters have no place in any sporting arena and even less so in rugby".

The statement also alleged that Brennan had been "sprinkled with beer" before punching the Ulster fan and described the former Irish international as "a generous player who always respects his opponents and their supporters".

They described Brennan's actions as "inexcusable but humanly understandable" and said they would ask the ERC to launch an investigation into the behaviour of some of the Ulster supporters.

I suppose they are liars too and all Ulster rugby fans are as pure as snow. Two very differing accounts which suggests to me we'll never find out.

Josey Whales

The below is another alleged version of the events that transpired. Just posting it to prove ther eis more thna one account out there. This appeared on the Ulster rugby website- could be taking the piss but so could many of the ulster fans.

I had the unfortunate experience of witnessing the ugly scenes at the Ulster game in Toulouse with my own eyes. I have to say that after reading the posts here there seems to be a lot of bulls**tters, firstly Brennan is not arrested, secondly the guys jaw is not broken, thirdly the Ulster fans behaved in a most obnoxious manner that I have never EVER scene at a match. It was very acidic comments that were full of vitrolic anger for some reason (considering Brennan played host for the weekend in his bar this seems bizarre).

The fella who got punched sang at Brennan 'Your mother is a whore' repeatedly, now I dont know about you but that is pretty appaling and some of the Ulster fans should have told him to shut up and did say at the top of my voice 'God is this a Rugby game or a football game', I didnt want to intervene because firstly I am not an Ulster fan and secondly it would have been a pain in the ar$e to get over to where he was sitting.

Anyway I do not excuse Brennans behaviour in fact I condem it but the way the fans acted was appailing and I think Ulster rugby must hang its head in shame once again especially since the London Irish game where it is common knowledge racist remarks were made.

With regards to the Alfie situation, I am not sure but I heard that bigotted remarks were aimed at him and that he had told a few people he would never et anyone get away with what was said (what was said I do not know to be honest).

Anyway I thought I would give the real version oof what happened, it is a shame because I always enjoyed a game up in Ravenhill but I will think twice about coming over for a game now,

Many thanks for reading this,

Over the Bar

That account sounds a bit more plausible.   To think that a player would do anything other than laugh at a dickhead shouting "Your bar is rubbish" is difficult to believe and for Santa to claim this is all he did to warrant the thumping is preposterous.  Get real people!

slow corner back

This all appears to be a bit bizarre, what was Thomas at to say nothing of Brennan. I have to say what really amazes me is Brennan was only warming up, he beats the head off a fan and then is quite happily introduced into the game as a substitute by the toulouse management. Why did the cops at the ground not arrest or at least question Brennan after a very public assault and what were the match officials and toulouse management doing by letting him onto the field of play to assault someone else. I do not know how PROFESSIONAL!!!!! rugby works but I am sure that if this happened in a GAA match Noel Thompson et all would have a field day about the organisation, security etc etc.

Hardy

As regards Brennan being arrested by les flics, that lad on BBC NI sport announced with some exasperation this evening that when he contacted Toulouse police to ask when they'd be locking Trevor up, they replied to the effect that this was a private matter between two people and they didn't know what all the fuss was about!.

mick999

This might be why The french police don't care ...
From Trevor's diary for the erc ...

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/32_6210.php

On Tuesday I set off to work, came round the corner and came to a police checkpoint. Thankfully I had my mobile phone on speaker when talking to a friend and I also had my seatbelt on, something I've been caught for a few times. I knew that the first policeman recognised me as he told me to pull my jeep in.

I pulled down my window and about five police came over and got me out of the jeep. "What's the problem lads?"

"Ah nothing. Everything's okay. We just want to know what happened on Saturday?"

"I wish I knew," I tell them, and everybody else who has been asking me for the last few days.

They asked me: "Did you think you got that try?"

"Well, I think so," I say.

There was no anger or animosity, just pure shock everywhere. No-one can believe it, understand it, or explain it.

"We just stopped you to let you down that all the police in Toulouse are behind you and we hope you go on and win the Bouclier." They had been stopping every second car but now everybody else was being let through. The other drivers must have been delighted.

Declan

Brennan regrets altercation

Johnny Watterson and Gerry Thornley

RUGBY: Former Irish international and current Toulouse secondrow Trevor Brennan issued a statement last night saying that he regretted the altercation with an Ulster fan that occurred during his side's final Heineken European Cup pool game against Ulster on Sunday.

Brennan, who stepped over the divide that separates the pitch from the team supporters and became involved in a physical dispute, now faces a lengthy ban if he is found to have assaulted the spectator.

The incident has led to the European Rugby Cup (ERC) launching an official investigation into the controversy at Stade Ernest Wallon.

Brennan said that some Ulster fans were being abusive and that beer was thrown at him, but that there was no sectarian element involved prior to the altercation.

The former Leinster player also said that he had the highest regard for Ulster supporters.

"After the problem that occurred during the match that we played against Ulster on Sunday, I would like to give my version of events.

"For this match I was a substitute. Just after half-time, my coach Guy Noves asked me to warm up, which I started to do behind the try line of Ulster," says Brennan.

"Almost as soon, I saw and heard a group of Ulster supporters, arms up, singing 'Brennan your mother is a whore lalalala'. At this stage, I approached this group, who threw beer at me. Some supporters told me not to pay attention to what they were saying. One said: 'I'm sure your mother is not like that'.

"I regret this incident happened, I didn't initiate or provoke it, it was the last thing I would have wished for. I've always respected and I have always been respected by supporters from all teams that I've played against. I've played many times against Ulster before and I've never had any problems with supporters. I would like all supporters to understand my reaction.

"I have the highest regard for all supporters, they are the life blood behind every sport. I met numerous Ulster supporters in the days leading to the match and they were an absolute pleasure to be around.

"I love playing rugby, I love playing for Toulouse and I love the fans. But what I love more, is my family and my mother."

The 33-year-old, capped 13 times for Ireland, said that he felt it was important to give his version of events after it had been suggested in newspapers and on radio discussions that his actions had been prompted by chants and shouts regarding his pub in Toulouse, De Danu.

Brennan has now been advised by club officials in Toulouse not to add any further comment pending the ERC investigation into the incident.

Ulster Rugby also issued a statement calling the whole episode "a disgrace" and claimed that the Toulouse secondrow "physically assaulted a member of the Ulster travelling support".

The statement went on to say that it "condemns Brennan for his actions which have tarnished the game of rugby football".

In what was the second and most robustly worded of their statements since Sunday evening, Ulster confirmed that they will lodge an official report with the ERC today regarding what they refer to as "an unacceptable off-field incident".

"The disgraceful incident occurred when Brennan, who was warming up in front of a section of the Ulster travelling support, which included women and young families, left the playing enclosure, climbed over the pitch hoarding and physically assaulted a member of the Ulster travelling support, Patrick Bamford, aged 25, an accountant originally from Belfast, now living in London," said the statement.

"Following the final whistle Mr Bamford was examined by the Ulster team doctor and Ulster Rugby has since been in contact with Mr Bamford, who has received medical treatment upon his return to London.

"While Ulster Rugby's immediate concern was for the well-being of Mr Bamford, it would now urge the tournament organisers, the ERC, and Stade Toulousain, to take immediate action to resolve this matter and Ulster Rugby condemns Brennan for his actions which have tarnished the game of rugby football.

"Ulster Rugby is entirely confident that the dialogue directed at Brennan was never of a sectarian nature and will be furnishing witness statements to that effect."

The ERC's Disciplinary Officer, Roger O'Connor, has contacted both clubs asking them to supply full details of the incident and has also requested reports from the match officials and broadcasters at the game.

A decision on any misconduct complaints to be brought against players or the clubs involved will be made following this investigation.

Other reports, including that on the BBC website from BBC Northern Ireland journalist Julian Fowler, also claims that there was little provocation from the Ulster fans prior to the fracas.

Fowler says that the man assaulted made a statement to the French police before leaving to fly back to his home in London.

The eyewitness account from the journalist said that a number of Ulster fans had made disparaging comments about the Irishman's premises.

"A number of the Ulster supporters started to chant, 'Your pub's a load of rubbish'. Rubbish wasn't exactly the word they used but it wasn't that much more offensive that that," he said on the BBC website.

"He (Brennan) turned towards the crowd and climbed over a barrier and walked up the steps towards the eighth row where this fan was sitting. There was a sustained, repeated attack and I saw at least half a dozen, if not more, punches. The supporter was just a young fellow with a group of friends and I wouldn't have said that he was in any way drunk or aggressive."

The BBC reporter added that the incident had left the supporter's face bloodied and swollen.

"I also spoke to him at the airport six hours after the incident and he said that he was still in a state of shock. He didn't know why he had been singled out. He watched Brennan come towards him and he actually thought he was going to shake his hand.

"The fan told me that he had made a statement to (French) police after the game but he wasn't sure last night what if any action he was going to take because he was still in a state of shock."

The statement from the Toulouse club said that the club found Brennan's reaction unacceptable but also understandable.

"We're very sorry for the incident that took place during the match, but we've got to say that the staff didn't know about it and was informed of it at the end of the game," said Toulouse.

"It is the first time ever that such an incident has taken place in our stadium. Trevor Brennan is a very generous player, who has always been respected by his opponents and supporters.

"It needed a provocation to make him react in such a way, which is not acceptable but humanly understandable. There are words and behaviour that can hurt people deeply and we ask anyone to take that into account so that such an incident should not happen again in a sport that the virtues of friendship and conviviality are essential.

"Everyone will have to take their responsibilities. There are rules in the ERC regulations and we ask the ERC to conduct their inquiry, especially on the behaviour of a small minority of Ulster supporters. We shall be very careful that the rules of the ERC are implemented with understanding and equity for everybody."

In other recent incidents involving rugby players, Welsh centre Gavin Henson received a 10-week ban for elbowing Alejandro Moreno last December and breaking his nose, while in November South Africa's Jon Smit got a six-week ban for striking France skipper Jerome Thion.

French captain Fabien Pelous was also banned for nine weeks for elbowing Australia's Brendan Cannon, while Munster's Alan Quinlan recently received a six-week ban for a stamping incident.

Ireland's most notorious incident involved former Munster and Irish prop Peter Clohessy, who was banned for 26 weeks in 1996 for stamping on Frenchman Olivier Roumat in Pari

Dinny Breen

Quote"Almost as soon, I saw and heard a group of Ulster supporters, arms up, singing 'Brennan your mother is a whore lalalala'. At this stage, I approached this group, who threw beer at me. Some supporters told me not to pay attention to what they were saying. One said: 'I'm sure your mother is not like that'.

Understandable Trevors reaction, at least he knows he crossed the line. Would like to see sanctions imposed on those Ulster supporters chanting such vile. Reading the Leinster, Munster and Gwlad (Welsh Rugby) boards it looks like Ulster supporters are getting quite a bad rep, probably a minority but it seems to be growing.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I was driving up to Dublin this morning, careful on the M7 lads!, and Ger Gilroy gave the Ulster fans an awful doing on Newstalk's morning show at about 7 am. He basically said they were the worst supporters for abuse he'd ever sat in with.

Now, having said that he *is* a Leinster nancy boy ( ;D Dinny), but even so ....