Alan Brogans Tweet

Started by Baile Brigín 2, February 07, 2019, 09:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

The GAA's fault that there's no money in Athletics?
You're "Gah bad" mindset fairly scraping the barrel now.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 07, 2019, 02:41:30 PM

The 9m the GPA got for players came directly from tbe olympics fund. I can understand their annoyance

shark

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 07, 2019, 02:32:07 PM
Quote from: shark on February 07, 2019, 02:22:30 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 07, 2019, 02:15:11 PM
Quote from: shark on February 07, 2019, 02:10:06 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 07, 2019, 11:10:54 AM
Quote from: Hound on February 07, 2019, 10:19:18 AMBrogan's tweet was funny in that it shows how sensitive the LOI mob are!
It certainly has. I've no particular ill-feeling towards the LOI (have gone to watch the Rovers the odd time) but there is a sizeable element of their support who utterly despise the GAA and love to remind you of that at every opportunity, and there's plenty of them to be found in the Showgrounds every other Saturday. Brogan might have been tone deaf as regards the concerns of the rest of us but he certainly snared that mob with that tweet.

Hard to know between them and some of the hardline athletics types who is more embittered towards the GAA though.

A small minority in my experience. Jerry Kiernan is not a representative sample. Maybe it's a Kerry thing - JJ Hanrahan has thrown out anti-GAA comments in the past too.
Kiernan is obviously one, but I also had a colleague of Kiernan's closer to home in mind in that regard, has a column in one of the local papers which is purportedly about athletics but regularly throws in cheap shots at the GAA whenever he can.

Sad really. Athletics is badly underfunded in this country. And the majority of our top athletics have to live off a shoestring budget if they want to go full-time. But it isn't the GAAs fault.
It literally is. Dont patronise.

I am not patronising anybody. I have been involved in athletics since I was a kid. The view that it is the GAAs fault that the sport(s) are not funded adequately is small minded. If the GAA disappeared tomorrow the Government would not magically start funding athletics.

shark

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 07, 2019, 02:43:01 PM

The 9m the GPA got for players came directly from tbe olympics fund. I can understand their annoyance

A handy way for the Government to spin their underinvestment in athletics. Athletics Ireland should be looking for a portion of the Dept of Health budget. Properly invested it would save money in the long term.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: shark on February 07, 2019, 02:47:26 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 07, 2019, 02:32:07 PM
Quote from: shark on February 07, 2019, 02:22:30 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 07, 2019, 02:15:11 PM
Quote from: shark on February 07, 2019, 02:10:06 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 07, 2019, 11:10:54 AM
Quote from: Hound on February 07, 2019, 10:19:18 AMBrogan's tweet was funny in that it shows how sensitive the LOI mob are!
It certainly has. I've no particular ill-feeling towards the LOI (have gone to watch the Rovers the odd time) but there is a sizeable element of their support who utterly despise the GAA and love to remind you of that at every opportunity, and there's plenty of them to be found in the Showgrounds every other Saturday. Brogan might have been tone deaf as regards the concerns of the rest of us but he certainly snared that mob with that tweet.

Hard to know between them and some of the hardline athletics types who is more embittered towards the GAA though.

A small minority in my experience. Jerry Kiernan is not a representative sample. Maybe it's a Kerry thing - JJ Hanrahan has thrown out anti-GAA comments in the past too.
Kiernan is obviously one, but I also had a colleague of Kiernan's closer to home in mind in that regard, has a column in one of the local papers which is purportedly about athletics but regularly throws in cheap shots at the GAA whenever he can.

Sad really. Athletics is badly underfunded in this country. And the majority of our top athletics have to live off a shoestring budget if they want to go full-time. But it isn't the GAAs fault.
It literally is. Dont patronise.

I am not patronising anybody. I have been involved in athletics since I was a kid. The view that it is the GAAs fault that the sport(s) are not funded adequately is small minded. If the GAA disappeared tomorrow the Government would not magically start funding athletics.

Of course not. But they would get 3m a year back

manfromdelmonte

Lucky for them the national GAA stadium is in the county
They've had to fund very little capital investment in Dublin

greatpoint

Alan did a lot of crying that day and doesn't seem to have been able to stop since.

tonto1888

Quote from: tippabu on February 07, 2019, 01:49:49 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 07, 2019, 10:34:03 AM
The campaign against the Donegal Motion has begun.

As I see it it's a shite motion. Am I correct in saying that they only want Dublin to not be allowed nominate Croke park as their home venue? Let's call it what it is, Croke park is Dublins home venue and they should play their home game there. What should be happening is scrapping the "Croke park round" and changing it to "neutral venue". If Galway were drawn to play Kerry they shouldn't be dragged up to Croke park, a game like that should be in limerick. Kerry Dublin as a neutral round should be in thurles not Dublin. Croke park may well suit best for alot of the games but venues should be true neutral ones that is fairest on supporters travelling to games

This is a great idea

Main Street

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 07, 2019, 02:43:01 PM

More bull.
Sport Ireland total funding to the GPA for 3 years,  2017 - 2019 is <Eur7m.  This average  annual funding of Eur 2.3m did not come out of the Olympic fund.

Main Street

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 07, 2019, 07:18:06 PM

As I see it it's a shite motion. Am I correct in saying that they only want Dublin to not be allowed nominate Croke park as their home venue? Let's call it what it is, Croke park is Dublins home venue and they should play their home game there. What should be happening is scrapping the "Croke park round" and changing it to "neutral venue". If Galway were drawn to play Kerry they shouldn't be dragged up to Croke park, a game like that should be in limerick. Kerry Dublin as a neutral round should be in thurles not Dublin. Croke park may well suit best for alot of the games but venues should be true neutral ones that is fairest on supporters travelling to games

This is a great idea
What about if it's Kerry v Mayo?  still Limerick?

manfromdelmonte

Soccer isn't a threat to the GAA at adult level in terms of attendances
The biggest obstacle is actually the GAA themselves!

Farrandeelin

I agree with the Donegal motion actually. The Croke Park round of quarterfinals should exist for the provincial winners to play in. I think counties have earned their fair shot of playing in CP then.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

I think the motion is to have Dublin only play one game in Dublin instead of two in the group stage. I also think counties that reach the last eight want to be "rewarded" with at least one game in Croke Park.

Should be a motion in place to move the All Ireland semi final back by one week. Playing them the week after the quarter final group stage is not right.

magpie seanie

Dublin should have their own 20000-30000 capacity ground to cater for their games. I think most Dublin gaels would prefer this. I hope the Donegal motion succeeds.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 08, 2019, 09:55:34 AM
Dublin should have their own 20000-30000 capacity ground to cater for their games. I think most Dublin gaels would prefer this. I hope the Donegal motion succeeds.

I really doubt it. Where are we looking at? Rathcoole? Crokers location is half the crowd.

And there is no money for stadia until Franks bag o shyte is cleaned up.