Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpower

Never seen N McAuley playing full forward before, excellent hurler, good option at full back or wing half but not sure if he's a full forward, otherwise strong looking team.
What happens next????

podge

Quite a lot of young blood in the team that I don;t know much about.  still be convinced about N McAuley, J McKeague and P Shiels.  they havn;t proven themselves enough for me but I am all for giving them a chance.  can;t argue with S delargy in at corner back- one of c'dalls most consistent performers last year.  Can someone tell me if B Herron can hurl?  having payed against LD a fair few times and i can;lt say I have ever been impressed?  Ciaran and Michael are worth their place IMO but Michael could do with being brought down a peg or two, serious attitidue.  Others I would like to see get a chance- young hippy (too young??), randal mc donnel, mc manus.

I think the panel and team in general show that we have good back but lacking in real quality forwards (bar p richmond).  we need a few like greg o kane and ally elliot but they jsut arn;t there.

milltown row

This team is obviously showing at training and challenge games. Plenty of height and fitness. All players are competent stick men, baring Brendan Herron maybe. But he brings athleticism, when Brendan and Mc Cambridge played as wing backs during Dinny's first year they played well. Once Mc Cambridge comes back and others join the panel it will get better. Competitions for places will only bring this team on.

Who is missing from the panel that could bring it on? Nipper Quinn is in good form, and Aidan Delargy has been one of the better players from last season

aontroim

1. DD Quinn (Na Seamróga Loch gCaol)
2. Barney McAuley (Na Seamróga Loch gCaol)
3. James McKeague (Cú Chulainn Dun Lathai)
4. Sean Delargy (Ruairí Og Bun Abhann Dalla)
5. Ciarán Herron (Lamh Dheárg)
6. Johnny Campbell (Na Seamróga Loch gCaol)
7. Malachy Molloy (Cú Chulainn Dun Lathai)
8. Karl McKeegan (Ruairí Og Bun Abhann Dalla) - Captain
9. Brendan Herron (Lamh Dheárg)
10. Karl Stewart (Naomh Gall)
11. Liam Watson (Na Seamróga Loch gCaol)
12. Micheál Herron (Lamh Dheárg)
13. Patrick Richmond (Cú Chulainn Dun Lathai)
14. Neal McAuley (Mhic Uillín Baile an Chaistil)
15. Paul Shields (Cú Chulainn Dun Lathai)

16. Chris O'Connell (Na Seamróga Loch gCaol)
17. Sean Burke (Naomh Gall)
18. Barry McFall (Naomh Eoin)
19. Brian McFall (Naomh Eoin)
20. Aidan Delargy (Ruairí Og Bun Abhann Dalla)
21. Martin Scullion (Na Seamróga Loch gCaol)
22. Michael Magill (Tir na nÓg)
23. Aaron Graffin (Ruairí Og Bun Abhann Dalla)
24. Colm Duffin (Tir na nÓg)

Joey Scullion out at the minute with broken finger (just had it wired up recently).  AD included in the panel - good to see.

imtommygunn

Great to see AD on the panel. The three best players for getting scores in club hurling I'd say would be himself, Paddy Richmond and Liam Watson. Haven't seen enough of Stewart but have seen from reports he can rack up the scores.

Is Declan McKillop to come onto the panel? Based , not on Sunday's but the antrim/ulster ones, on his performances he should merit a place. Is Conor Cunning on the panel?

Poor young O'Connell -- sub to DD in club and county!

The St Galls lad Burke - wasn't he minor last year? What kind of hurler is he? I don't think he made the minor tem last year but perhaps that's because he was concentrating on football?

milltown row

Sean Burke is not your most skillful hurler but has a serious engine and will walk through brick walls, very fit, strong for a young lad and from our perspective good to see the lad getting serious training and games. midfield would be his position.

karl Stewart is top notch, very brave skillful strong hurler who gets stuck in

imtommygunn

What's OGrady like as a hurler?

Have heard good reports about him - would he not be worth a try?

milltown row

Ciaran O'Grady is an excellent hurlers currently playing for queens (is that game today or yesterday against DCU, Ryan Cup, he would make their football team) our most consistent hurler along with Karl Stewart. Big engine very committed to hurling.  Great hands strong in the tackle and a box to box man. Good attitude as well. He would be a big asset to Antrim hurling, don't think he ever got the call though

imtommygunn

Queens got spanked by DCU unfortunately. 4-10 to 1-6 I think it was.

milltown row

With the league proposals handed back to the county yesterday does anybody have any idea if their clubs have entered a reserve hurling team? With no reserve hurling until July does this seem fair on the seconds.

Our club in their thick wisdom have pulled our reserve team and entered us into a South Antrim league. A league that we fought (literally) to get of. We entered the all county with our seconds and progressed every year wining leagues and the junior championship along the way, until we got to Division 2 were we were competing, the seconds were getting proper games and everyone was happy............until they brought back reserve hurling and low and behold 7 games was the max. Now our club will drop us five divisions to play in the Beer Belly league, football club or what.

So there unrest in the club.

bad result for Queens, we had 3 players on the panel

imtommygunn

What's the rule on reserve teams entering the UHL? I assume that wouldn't be allowed?

North antrim leagues are good for reserves - seems like south antrim aren't though. Is it not allowed for reserve teams to enter the antrim leagues at all?

They still do in the football.

Sounds a shambles but then given hurling fixtures no surprise.

With no reserve games it'll tear clubs apart. No breeding ground for young boys.

milltown row

we wanted in the first year to enter our reserves in the lower league of the Ulster hurling, not allowed.

the problem with belfast teams seconds is everybody will be clumped together, st agnes, st Teresa's, mc dee's. no offence to these teams but we would beat their first teams with our seconds. not competitive, the teams that will be strong if they have entered wil be St Johns and Rossa. two hard games for the reserves seems unfair. no development there. management was not consulted on the dropping of teams. madness

Syd The Sailor

Good to get such an objective opinion of the St Galls players, you would think they are headed for Croke Park on St Patricks day instead of Ballyhale & Loughrea. Karl Stewart for one has never done it for the county and has had numerous chances.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

milltown row

Syd have you a problem with Naomh Gall? we were ther last year in the football final, and the talent is in the club to do well in the hurling, thats the problem with being sucessfull at one code.

Syd The Sailor

Dont have any problem with St Galls, football will always take precedence in your club so to talk about how you would do potentially is a moot point.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"