HOW WOULD YOU VOTE IN A BORDER POLL?

Started by RedHand88, March 20, 2021, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you back unity if a border poll was held tomorrow?

Yes (Northerner)
No (Northerner)
Yes (Southener)
No (Southener)

yellowcard

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 24, 2021, 09:01:43 PM
17.3% of Dublin is foreign national. Does this make Dublin less Irish?

In a unified Ireland the foreign nationals will actually outnumber the Unionists so I guess that means Ireland will be Irish, British and everything else.

GiveItToTheShooters

;D ;D ;D wonder how that list is coming on

trueblue1234

Quote from: clonadmad on March 24, 2021, 07:59:54 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 24, 2021, 04:28:52 PM
So according to this poll, a quarter of GAA people in the south would not vote for a united Ireland.

What the heck is going on?

Perhaps some of the quarter could list 5 clear reasons why not.

Give Angelo a chance

Another 6 months and he will have it close to half
Only an idiot would base a decision like this based on the musings of an on- line WUM. Unless you wanted an excuse to vote that way anyway....

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

sid waddell

Quote from: Snapchap on March 24, 2021, 08:46:53 PM
So Seafoid reckons the six counties aren't as Irish as the 26 and that we could consider re-partition (cos it worked so well the last time?).

The mind boggles.
Another good example here of a Northern poster not engaging with what another poster actually said and creating a warm bath of fake offence to wallow in

Sooooo comforting

armaghniac

Quote from: yellowcard on March 24, 2021, 09:42:36 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 24, 2021, 09:01:43 PM
17.3% of Dublin is foreign national. Does this make Dublin less Irish?

In a unified Ireland the foreign nationals will actually outnumber the Unionists so I guess that means Ireland will be Irish, British and everything else.

Irlandia będzie polska
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Lar Naparka

Quote from: yellowcard on March 24, 2021, 09:36:28 PM
So none of the 7 northerners who would vote to stay under British rule are prepared to come forward to explain their thinking. I think there was either some dodgy voting going on or maybe they're just too afraid to admit it.
I don't know very many Catholics in the North but I know enough t feel that a sizeable rump would feel uncomfortable stepping into the unknown, giving the inevitable backlash that willl inevitably follow.
I'm thinking mainly of the Malone Road types; those who have a grand wee comfortable lifestyle and don't want to jeopardise it in any way. I'm not blaming, if that's the word, anyone on that particular road- it's just the social class they belong.
I wonder if the Nationalists on the board are being a bit too confident in assuming that demographics and a bit of patience is all that it will take to let everything slip into place.
For instance, could all pro-UI posters honestly claim that every (Catholic) voter they know will be 100% sure to vote for the end of partition?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ardtole

There is a signifigant amount of catholics with cushy civil service jobs, how they are rewarded or compensated for expected redundancies will be more telling.

There is going to be money thrown at this, whatever has happened in the last few weeks, the change in attitude, particulary from the politicians in the south has been dramatic.

Milltown Row2

You mean BT9 ners like Brolly?

Tbh the numbers are not that high that would make a significant difference, I said earlier that the ones on benefits and social housing they'd be harder to convince, those with money will always find a way.

It's not like those top civil service jobs will disappear, the lower paid CS jobs will go first.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardtole

I agree totally mr2, thats why when sammy from sandy row or billy from ballymena are in the privacy of the voting booth, the 200 euro a week dole money that the south pays, compared to the 50 or 60 in the north could be hugely signifigant.

Wouldnt suprise me if the same lads were out throwing petrol bombs for a few days after what they voted for passed either.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ardtole on March 25, 2021, 07:39:39 AM
I agree totally mr2, thats why when sammy from sandy row or billy from ballymena are in the privacy of the voting booth, the 200 euro a week dole money that the south pays, compared to the 50 or 60 in the north could be hugely signifigant.

Wouldnt suprise me if the same lads were out throwing petrol bombs for a few days after what they voted for passed either.

I would say the South would have to review their payments schemes, how much does a standard dole merchant get in the south?

Free rent and social payments?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardtole

200 a week approx, rent covered, and a medical card. With the huge cost of rent in the private sector it actually is a detterent for some to return to work.

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 25, 2021, 07:27:38 AM

Tbh the numbers are not that high that would make a significant difference, I said earlier that the ones on benefits and social housing they'd be harder to convince, those with money will always find a way.

It's not like those top civil service jobs will disappear, the lower paid CS jobs will go first.

In Brollys defence he's a BT6er

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 25, 2021, 07:55:41 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 25, 2021, 07:27:38 AM

In Brollys defence he's a BT6er

Sorry mlord! I'd have had him there based on his involvement with St Brigids

Maroon Manc

Its probably been discussed earlier but is the huge budget deficit in the North going to be an issue?

johnnycool

Quote from: michaelg on March 24, 2021, 07:54:52 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on March 24, 2021, 05:30:18 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 24, 2021, 05:12:37 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 24, 2021, 05:01:09 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 24, 2021, 04:49:33 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 24, 2021, 04:28:52 PM
So according to this poll, a quarter of GAA people in the south would not vote for a united Ireland.

What the heck is going on?

Perhaps some of the quarter could list 5 clear reasons why not.

Maybe even more surprising is the fact that 7 GAA people in the north voted to stay under British rule.

I would honestly love to know the rationale behind this if anyone wants to confess!?
You'd wonder how they can look themselves in the mirror.
EvilG and Michael are probably 2 of them or are they not allowed to vote being.....
Angelo, Armagh18 and Shooters are likely 3 being of the  of the hate "freestaters(sic)" camp.
The other 2 are having the craic.
Nope, not me (though I assume I would be permitted to vote, if I chose)
Nor me!

You two lads still hold the Unionist veto so no matter how the rest of us vote your votes override all that.

Unless one voted for a UI then we're proper fĂșcked.   ;D