Author Topic: Getting TV3 or RTE on freeview in North?  (Read 4292 times)

ziggysego

• View Profile
    • My Way Access
Re: Getting TV3 or RTE on freeview in North?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 05:59:49 PM »
Anytime I rescan,  the RTEs etc get moved to a different number on the EPG. Annoying,  but run through all your blank channels.
Testing Accessibility

Gaffer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 08:04:13 PM »
Can anyone help me? I used to get Rte & tg4 on freeview. I recently done a rescan and the channels have disappeared. Don't know why this has happened.

Sometimes after a rescan they appear under a different channel number.

Just a matter of going up through the numbers until you find them.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

johnneycool

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 11:05:08 AM »
Can anyone help me? I used to get Rte & tg4 on freeview. I recently done a rescan and the channels have disappeared. Don't know why this has happened.

Not necessarily,
     I've noticed my signal from Clermont Carn in Louth is definitely weaker over the last week or so, I'm getting a bit of pixelation on the signal and my parents set top box its dropping off altogether.

There does seem to have been a drop in signal power or something happened.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 11:48:56 AM »

Not necessarily,
     I've noticed my signal from Clermont Carn in Louth is definitely weaker over the last week or so, I'm getting a bit of pixelation on the signal and my parents set top box its dropping off altogether.

There does seem to have been a drop in signal power or something happened.

There is a possibility of more interference from somewhere else.

Unfortunately they are going to rearrange the frequencies in the future, to free up band for mobile, and Clermont Carn will be moving frequency. The consequence of this is that aerials optimised for Clermont may no longer be optimal. Not a problem in South Armagh, but maybe a problem in West Belfast.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hereiam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 12:15:21 PM »
i have been told that the 4G network is messing a lot with the freeview signal.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2021, 09:29:30 AM »
Looking to upgrade a couple of TVs. Obviously want RTÉ and TG4 installed without using Saorview box. I hear that some TVs will have RTÉ on it and others won’t. It just depends. Should I source the TVs from down south, go into a local dealer in the north and make sure it has RTÉ or can I buy online and it still be there?

Or is it just a matter of searching and installing onto any TV?
Any advice greatly appreciated

Nanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2021, 10:02:18 AM »
Looking to upgrade a couple of TVs. Obviously want RTÉ and TG4 installed without using Saorview box. I hear that some TVs will have RTÉ on it and others won’t. It just depends. Should I source the TVs from down south, go into a local dealer in the north and make sure it has RTÉ or can I buy online and it still be there?

I know if you go to argos online you can search saorview and it will bring up a list of tv's that have it preinstalled. Just check to make sure it says it on the additional features tab as well when you click into a tv

An Watcher

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2021, 10:22:54 AM »
Never fully understood why I get RTE, Virgin etc in my kitchen and none of the champions league games etc are blocked.  We have sky in the living room and the big games are blocked on RTE.  I always assumed it was due to the RTE aerial from many moons ago but always thought I would lose it eventually.  Still going stringb though

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2021, 12:10:23 PM »

DId you have Saorview before or are you getting these stations from the NI transmitters? It doesn't make that much difference now anyhow, 10 years ago there were a lot of cheap TVs with restricted capability, this is much less common now.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2021, 01:12:45 PM »

DId you have Saorview before or are you getting these stations from the NI transmitters? It doesn't make that much difference now anyhow, 10 years ago there were a lot of cheap TVs with restricted capability, this is much less common now.

Last TV I bought I just got it local. It had the Irish channels on it without a saorview box or having to do anything else. I was told Sony TVs are more inclined to have them preinstalled but don’t know if there’s much truth in that.

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2021, 01:52:22 PM »
I think I've gone over this before, but I'll do it again if I haven't...

* RTÉ1, RTÉ2 and TG4 (in standard definition) are broadcast from several transmitter sites across the north, known as the RNI_1 multiplex. If you can pick up an RNI_1 signal, your TV or set-top box needs to be a "Freeview HD" badged receiver - if it isn't badged as such, check to see that it has a DVB-T2 tuner (a DVB-T tuner will not do) - ask whoever is selling you the device if it has a DVB-T2 tuner or is "Freeview HD" badged, and if they can't answer that for you go somewhere else. Tuning them in, TG4 is on the EPG at channel 52, RTÉ1 on 53 and RTÉ2 on 54.

* The best way to get the southern channels via terrestrial reception is from a transmitter in the Republic - however, transmitter frequency changes last year may have made some aerial setups redundant and require either a small equipment change at the aerials (involving a new diplexer/combiner) to a new overall aerial setup. If you're lucky enough that the frequency change didn't affect your reception, then you can pick up RTÉ1 & RTÉ2 in HD alongside additional RTÉ channels, TG4 and the three Virgin Media Channels (all in SD). Ideally a "Freeview HD" badged receiver should be used to watch these services, though some ordinary "Freeview" badged receivers can also view them. When tuning them in, the channels on the EPG should appear in the 800 range, depending on your receiver you may be able to change this. If you can receiver the channels in the 800s range but get audio only & no picture, then your receiver isn't compatible.

* RTÉ1, RTÉ2 and TG4 are also available to Sky and Virgin Media subscribers in NI.

* As a final option, there is Saorsat satellite service which carries the same TV lineup as the Saorview platform minus the Virgin Media channels. Reception for this requires a different dish from that used for Sky, as well as a special LNB (the bit that is attached to the end of the arm at the bottom of the dish that the cable(s) are connected to.

* The only platform that northern viewers can be certain that they will not get programming blackouts is Saorview - the RNI_1 and Sky services have programming that are subject to blackouts, while Saorsat has had a few programming blackouts in the past (mostly related to European soccer) but not on the same scale. Don't have Virgin Media, so can't comment on how often blackouts affect it. Blackouts normally affect programming on RTÉ1 & RTE2, it's very rare to see any blackouts on TG4 (haven't noticed any in years myself).

* Why these blackouts? It's due to programme rights holders enforcing territorial limits on broadcasters - with subscription services like Sky & Virgin that are addressed per subscriber, as well as all the RNI_1 multiplex transmitters being based in NI, any programming that RTÉ only has rights to show in the Republic of Ireland are liable to blackout to northern viewers - however as all Saorview transmitters are based in the Republic, these are regarded as domestic or home broadcasts where "overspill" into NI is largely regarded as incidental, so don't be blacked out, otherwise viewers in the Republic would also be affected.

* Finally, receivers - as mentioned above, if you're in NI then any "Freeview HD" officially badged receiver should be enough provided you can receive a signal with your terrestrial aerial setup - pretty much any TV from 32 inches up these days (except maybe some dirt-cheap supermarket brands) will be "Freeview HD" certified, as will most smaller screen tellys. But always check. Also it should go without saying, but any "Saorview" branded receiver should do the trick too.
"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2021, 05:52:05 PM »
Sky News is launching on Saorview this Tuesday coming...

https://www.saorview.ie/en/news/article/sky-news-is-coming-to-saorview

...those with Saorview/DVB-T(2) receivers that are set to Ireland as their country (i.e. Channel 1 is RTÉ1), the channel number on the remote is 23 - for Nordies or those with Freeview that are set by default to the UK (channel 1 is BBC1 NI) that can't receive Sky News already on channel number 233 but can receive the Virgin Media channels, it'll likely appear somewhere in the 800's - it's replacing the Saorview preview/barker channel.
"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"