Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: AFS on August 22, 2009, 06:19:51 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on August 22, 2009, 05:36:56 PM
Quote from: AFS on August 22, 2009, 05:01:52 PM
Wayne Rooney averaging a goal a game so far, that wouldn't be too far off Ronaldo standard  ;)

So if Rooney's goals are replacing Ronaldos, who is replacing Rooneys?  ;)

Michael Owen  :P
Ok. So Rooney's goals replace Ronaldo's, and Owen's goals replace Rooneys, how will United do when refs actually apply the laws of the game and give mssrs Rooney, Vidic etc the red cards they are currently escaping?  ;)
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

magpie seanie

Just as rumours of United's demise were overstated midweek, I'm sure there will be an over reaction to this win today. Problems still remain but I think its fair to say United will not be far away when the league trophy is handed out, all things being equal. Very tough game next week but Vidic back this week was a major plus. Evra needs to be told where to direct his headers - was at the same shit once or twice today as cost United at Burnley. We got a small insight into Fergies brilliance as a manager today. Immediately te 3rd goal hit the net his first thought was "get Owen on - an ideal time for him to score". And so it happened and experienced and all as Owen is, you could see the relief on his face. The Owen deal was a no brainer even though United do need one more big player.

This Ronaldo argument is a bit funny but here's my take. Ronaldo "only" got 18 or 19 league goals last season his number of assists were not astronomical and his workrate (especially defensively) was crap. He is now gone so how will United make up for this? Rooney should get a couple more, already has 3. Owen will get close to what Rooney got last year. Berbatov will score around the same again and eveything else in the goals department should be similar. In terms of assists I think Valencia will get a pile. He has two already from 2 starts. He will make up for Ronaldo in this department PLUS he works back. So you can argue statistically that United will make up for his absence alright. However, what will perhaps be the biggestproblem is the effect Ronaldo had on opposition defences. He invariably tied up two or more players due to his threat. Valencia is very quick but not the same threat. The defence will need to be as mean as last year and if that'sthe case then maybe the unprecendented 4 in a row is on.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 23, 2009, 12:13:10 AM
Just as rumours of United's demise were overstated midweek, I'm sure there will be an over reaction to this win today. Problems still remain but I think its fair to say United will not be far away when the league trophy is handed out, all things being equal. Very tough game next week but Vidic back this week was a major plus. Evra needs to be told where to direct his headers - was at the same shit once or twice today as cost United at Burnley. We got a small insight into Fergies brilliance as a manager today. Immediately te 3rd goal hit the net his first thought was "get Owen on - an ideal time for him to score". And so it happened and experienced and all as Owen is, you could see the relief on his face. The Owen deal was a no brainer even though United do need one more big player.

This Ronaldo argument is a bit funny but here's my take. Ronaldo "only" got 18 or 19 league goals last season his number of assists were not astronomical and his workrate (especially defensively) was crap. He is now gone so how will United make up for this? Rooney should get a couple more, already has 3. Owen will get close to what Rooney got last year. Berbatov will score around the same again and eveything else in the goals department should be similar. In terms of assists I think Valencia will get a pile. He has two already from 2 starts. He will make up for Ronaldo in this department PLUS he works back. So you can argue statistically that United will make up for his absence alright. However, what will perhaps be the biggestproblem is the effect Ronaldo had on opposition defences. He invariably tied up two or more players due to his threat. Valencia is very quick but not the same threat. The defence will need to be as mean as last year and if that'sthe case then maybe the unprecendented 4 in a row is on.

Chelsea will win the league, United will do well to finish third and city will be there at the death will tell us all that the big four is gone, Arse in fifth and the pool in sixth will signal the end of big four dominance.

I seriously doubt that fergie will ever take over from pools league wins but he does not have to, he closed the gap from eleven to zero and he is the worlds best in my eyes. Rafa is shite compared to him.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gorm agus bui

Quote from: Minder on August 23, 2009, 12:56:55 AM
The oracle has spoken
And you like all scouser supporters  need to take that finger out of your hole

AFS

Quote from: stew on August 23, 2009, 01:33:48 AM

Chelsea will win the league, United will do well to finish third and city will be there at the death will tell us all that the big four is gone, Arse in fifth and the pool in sixth will signal the end of big four dominance.

I seriously doubt that fergie will ever take over from pools league wins but he does not have to, he closed the gap from eleven to zero and he is the worlds best in my eyes. Rafa is shite compared to him.

Who's gonna finish 4th then?

full back

Good result after a first hafl which looked a bit like thr Burnley game

Rooney looking sharp - long may it continue

Rodallega (sp) made a fool of himself after the incident with Vidic. Whoever said Vidic deserved a red is talking shite.
Although dive of the day goes to Valencia who made a complete fool of himself going down clutching his face.
If he wants to replace Ronaldo, fair & well, but he would be as well playing like him as well as diving like him :-[

Gooners at home next Saturday
Tough tough game, but I would expect a win if Utd are to challenge for honours this season

At the minute I still think we are missing a creative midfielder & really hopr Fergie signs someone before the window closes

At the moment Chelsea look the best team in the PL

DuffleKing

Fair enough assessment.

i stil think there's apossibility ribery could be signed, despite ergies talk of no more signings.

"when a player of this quality comes on the market, etc..."

brokencrossbar1

I would agree that there is more being amde of the Ronaldo leaving than should be.  The reality is that when teams have a stand out player the team mates always look to that player to pull them out of a hole.  Either consciously or unconsciously they will drop their own input by say 5-10% as they know they can afford it as their "star" is doing the business.  This happens in all sports.  As a result when the "star" leaves or gets injured it, IMHO, seems like the teams is missing their match winning ability.  That may be the case to a certain extent, but I also think that mentally they are unaware of the requirements to pull a game out of trouble.  If a team can get over this they will actually become a better team.  the best contemporary example of this is tyrone in my opinion who are a better team now without Canavan than with him as the other players have matured and taken responsibility and have a stronger team ethic.

Come May the top 4 will be the same as last year, the order may be different though with a different Red team on top and they will not be in London ;D

Hound

Quote from: full back on August 23, 2009, 08:35:19 AM
At the moment Chelsea look the best team in the PL
Well Chelsea were blessed in their first game so I'd say Spurs and Arsenal have been the best, then Chelsea, then City, then United and Pool. But its early days  ;)    ;D

Thought United were pretty dreadful up until they scored. Up until the goal, United were as bad as Wigan and a goal could have come from either side. But Rooney was a class apart, and no surprise that he created and scored the vital goal. At 2-0 they started to play alright, but it was easy then - but a nice boost to the confidence before the big game next weekend.

I think they'll try to outmuscle Arsenal (I can't see him play both Valencia and Nani) and will edge it by the odd goal and that will really get their season up and running.

full back

Reports from the last few days that Anderson had fell out with Fergie & is on his way out.
TBH, it wouldnt really bother me

Meanwhile that great bastion of information 'The Sun' reckons Robben is on his way to Utd :'(
Please Fergie, dont sign him, just dont sign him

AFS

Quote from: full back on August 26, 2009, 12:29:42 PM
Reports from the last few days that Anderson had fell out with Fergie & is on his way out.

Meanwhile that great bastion of information 'The Sun' reckons Robben is on his way to Utd :'(

Any real sources on that, seen it in the BBC gossip column but apparently it was from the Daily Mail or the like so didn't pay much heed.

If it were true I'd be quite annoyed. Anderson is a very expensive long term investment, if he were to be shifted now he wouldn't demand half the £18 million that was paid for him. It would be a lot of money down the drain. Maybe Fergie is just giving him a bit of tough love by leaving him on the sidelines for a bit. Party time might be over now his best mate, by all accounts, has fecked off to Madrid and its time to put the head down and fulfil his potential. There is definitely a long standing fitness problem somewhere in there too, he hasn't played a full 90 minutes in a competitive fixture for United in nearly a year, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was holding back his development.

118cmal

Quote from: AFS on August 26, 2009, 04:34:21 PM
Quote from: full back on August 26, 2009, 12:29:42 PM

Any real sources on that, seen it in the BBC gossip column but apparently it was from the Daily Mail or the like so didn't pay much heed.

If it were true I'd be quite annoyed. Anderson is a very expensive long term investment, if he were to be shifted now he wouldn't demand half the £18 million that was paid for him. It would be a lot of money down the drain. Maybe Fergie is just giving him a bit of tough love by leaving him on the sidelines for a bit. Party time might be over now his best mate, by all accounts, has fecked off to Madrid and its time to put the head down and fulfil his potential. There is definitely a long standing fitness problem somewhere in there too, he hasn't played a full 90 minutes in a competitive fixture for United in nearly a year, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was holding back his development.

To be honest I think this may be his biggest problem.  I know he goes out at least twice a week, and drinks champagne every night he's out.  No-one else at the club goes out nearly as often and a few more nights in would do him no harm.

AFS

Champions League

Ideal draw:
Rangers
Olympiakos
Debrecen

Nightmare draw:
Real Madrid/ Inter Milan
Fiorentina/ Atletico Madrid
Rubin Kazan/ Wolfsburg

Think we're due a tough group  :-\

qub la la la

CSKA Moscow, Besiktas, Wolfsburg. Tough enough draw.

Arsenal have a fairly handy one and they should come through that. Chelsea and Liverpool have an equally tough draw as United imo.