Player Opt outs for 2020 season

Started by rodney trotter, November 15, 2019, 07:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 17, 2019, 09:21:06 PM
It was said the Semi finals and Final would be on TV,tbc Its an incentive for Counties to reach a Semi Final. Wicklow and Leitrim proposed the idea of second tier, so it was probaly that Counties would get some TV coverage too.

Because they weren't aiming for much  coverage in the Qualifiers.
No Horan said that hopefully they would be on, and sure there was the "text" from McBennett that the Congress delegates were told about in case too many were unwilling to believe the Croke Park propaganda.

oliverkelly

Quote from: Rossfan on November 16, 2019, 02:10:41 PM
Darren O'Malley
Colm Lavin
Colin Compton
Fintan Cregg possibly retiring.
May be 1 or 2 others.

Diarmuid Murtagh

magpie seanie

This TV coverage thing is really a red herring. Most of the counties that wiull be impacted by tier 2 get 60 second tops for their qualifier games unless they're "lucky" enough to draw one of the big guns whereupon their hammering will be shown in greater detail. RTE GAA coverage and the TV rights deal are awful. They need fixing and I'm hopeful that that will happen.

Unlike hurling, every team starts off in the same competition. If you're in the lower divisions of the league and you don't make your provincial final, it's fair to surmise that you're not an All-Ireland contender. Why bother with the charade of the qualifiers when you can have a competition that you've a chance of winning? I really don't get the opposition to this.

imtommygunn

I would say so too with the tv thing and the red  herring. Variously teams get on tv and get a hammering. I doubt players want to do that.

I would say outside the top four or five there is quite a lot of drop offs and definitely way more than there used to be. There's just too much commitment for too little reward.

You only have to look round most local threads to see a lot of counties bemoaning the fact various players who could arguably be their best aren't playing.

I think second tier competitions could be successful on a compressed schedule then players could go to states, play club etc. Also they should be incentivised right with winners getting team holidays and stuff.

Rossfan

Quote from: oliverkelly on November 18, 2019, 09:49:15 AM
Darren O'Malley
Colm Lavin
Colin Compton
May be 1 or 2 others.

Diarmuid Murtagh
I was hoping that rumour wasnt true :-\
His brother obviously not coming back so I take it?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

oliverkelly

Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2019, 11:34:59 AM
Darren O'Malley
Colm Lavin
Colin Compton
May be 1 or 2 others.

Diarmuid Murtagh

As of now neither will be involved next year unless Anthony can change their minds. Ciaran plans on going to Boston again next summer and Diarmuid just wants a break after a number of injury plagued years. Wouldnt surprise me if Diarmuid followed Ciaran across the water for the summer.

thejuice

Graham Reilly, Mickey Burke, Marcus Brennan, Darragh McGovern, Thomas McGovern and Sean Curran won't be involved with Meath in 2020 for various reasons.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Cunny Funt

Quote from: oliverkelly on November 18, 2019, 12:33:54 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2019, 11:34:59 AM
Darren O'Malley
Colm Lavin
Colin Compton
May be 1 or 2 others.

Diarmuid Murtagh

As of now neither will be involved next year unless Anthony can change their minds. Ciaran plans on going to Boston again next summer and Diarmuid just wants a break after a number of injury plagued years. Wouldnt surprise me if Diarmuid followed Ciaran across the water for the summer.
The loss of players/forwards of that quality can't be underestimated. Agurably Roscommon would have reached the All Ireland semi final if CiarĂ¡n Murtagh was available this year and might not have won the Connacht final back in June without Diarmuid Murtagh. Which new or newish forward is capable of making an impact like Conor Cox did this summer?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: thejuice on November 18, 2019, 02:00:42 PM
Graham Reilly, Mickey Burke, Marcus Brennan, Darragh McGovern, Thomas McGovern and Sean Curran won't be involved with Meath in 2020 for various reasons.

Surprised those two didn't stick around after finally getting back to division 1 but I suppose life gets in the way sometimes.

rodney trotter

A few returnees to County football next year, Daniel Flynn with Kildare and Ciaran Sheehan back training with Cork, after being in Australia for the past 3 or 4 years.
I'd say Odhran McNeilis will be back with Donegal next year too.

thejuice

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 18, 2019, 02:38:03 PM
Quote from: thejuice on November 18, 2019, 02:00:42 PM

Surprised those two didn't stick around after finally getting back to division 1 but I suppose life gets in the way sometimes.

Reilly has been on the senior panel since 2007 (at 17yrs old) and he wasn't getting as much game time this year despite putting in a lot of work. He struggled to make an impact against the top teams this year and not as much as both I'd say he and Andy would have hoped. There was talk that he walked away after the Donegal S8 game but I don't know if that's true. It's a strange one with Graham because he carried us for a few years and often our only consistently creative player but yet things never really happened for him either. Not much silverware and no big scalps taken.

Burke has been around since 2004 but managed to stay a regular on the first team until McEntee took charge.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Dinny Breen

Mickey Burke, honest as the day is long, always came across as a good egg.
#newbridgeornowhere

johnnycool

Tyrdub

marty34