Tablets

Started by lurganblue, July 16, 2011, 08:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: redzone on March 05, 2017, 06:07:30 PM
99/100 u wouldn't be giving them one. This is different
We bought the iPad mini for our eldest who is 5 and who has additional needs. It's really been great for him as there are some really good apps that are specifically designed for kids like him.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

DickyRock

Eldest is 6. He got a Kids fire tablet. Great job. He loves it. Has a 1 yr sub for loads of app/videos plus great parental controls. It even has a 2 yr breakage guarantee - even if the kid drops it.

lurganblue

Just realised that Apple are no longer supporting the IPad that i have and it will no longer receive updates.  Would i be best to try and jailbreak it now? If so, any tips on how to do that? The tablet works perfectly well and i would have had no intention of upgrading it.

Jim Bob

Quote from: lurganblue on April 24, 2018, 10:30:34 AM
Just realised that Apple are no longer supporting the IPad that i have and it will no longer receive updates.  Would i be best to try and jailbreak it now? If so, any tips on how to do that? The tablet works perfectly well and i would have had no intention of upgrading it.

What iPad have you got?

lurganblue

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 24, 2018, 12:40:24 PM

What iPad have you got?

4th generation

DuffleKing

Opened this thread for the first time. Depressing.

Main Street

Quote from: lurganblue on April 24, 2018, 01:00:18 PM

What iPad have you got?

4th generation
Why try and fix a working iPad and by breaking it? What positive outcome do you expect to happen from that action?
You'll be able to use this iPad for years to come, it has 4G WiFi and IOS 10.
It's the ipad's 4 hardware that's the problem, not Apple's absent support in it's latest ios release.
IOS 11 is designed to run on the latest iPads, those newer ipads have much more memory, processor speed, graphics ability and the operating system  adjusts to make better use of that hardware for applications and general usage.

thewobbler

I'd an iPad 2 that suffered a similar fate.

What you'll find is that over the course of the next year or two, any apps you use become unsupported, and then officially no longer available for that version of iOS.

Once YouTube stopped allowing videos to be played on it, it wasn't much more useful than having the front and back cover of a book, but no pages inside.

Minder

Yeah I have a third generation IPad, bought it in 2012, and is no longer supported by updates. It's on its last legs, so slow.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lurganblue

Quote from: Main Street on April 24, 2018, 10:36:10 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on April 24, 2018, 01:00:18 PM

What iPad have you got?

4th generation
Why try and fix a working iPad and by breaking it? What positive outcome do you expect to happen from that action?
You'll be able to use this iPad for years to come, it has 4G WiFi and IOS 10.
It's the ipad's 4 hardware that's the problem, not Apple's absent support in it's latest ios release.
IOS 11 is designed to run on the latest iPads, those newer ipads have much more memory, processor speed, graphics ability and the operating system  adjusts to make better use of that hardware for applications and general usage.

Why would jailbreaking it be breaking it? My interest is to see would that action allow me to still download currently unsupported apps? or is the tablet now just a dead duck?

The CCCC

Anyone aware of any good sales on iPads now in January? Would be using it to watch things online mainly so wouldn't need much storage for photos, videos or apps.

gallsman

Quote from: The CCCC on December 31, 2018, 02:49:57 PM
Anyone aware of any good sales on iPads now in January? Would be using it to watch things online mainly so wouldn't need much storage for photos, videos or apps.

If that's all you really need it for, you don't need an iPad for it at all. Much cheaper options out there.

The CCCC

Quote from: gallsman on December 31, 2018, 03:08:02 PM

If that's all you really need it for, you don't need an iPad for it at all. Much cheaper options out there.

What like gallsman? Something as quick as an iPad?

Rois

My Kindle Fire HD does a perfect job for Netflix, skyGo etc.

gallsman

Quote from: The CCCC on December 31, 2018, 04:16:08 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 31, 2018, 03:08:02 PM

What like gallsman? Something as quick as an iPad?

No, it'll not match an iPad's processor but the Fire HD 10 is a great tablet for the price.

You said all you wanted it for was streaming, so it would be absolutely fine. If you subsequently then try to overwork it, of course you might run into problems