Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: BennyCake on October 28, 2020, 05:35:27 PM
The annual James McClean bashing will be starting any minute.

There'll be no taking the knee or similar in support of him though.

Of course there will be no support. The double standards by the English FA and their players is laughable. They are quick to point the finger at the Bulgarians etc but wouldn't think twice about walking off to any anti Catholic bigotry from their own supporters

qwerty123

Paul O'Connell...I never thought I would see the day
:(

Rossfan

What else would ya expect from rugger types?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: qwerty123 on October 31, 2020, 11:18:40 PM

w**ker.. pity

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on October 31, 2020, 11:37:05 PM

I was just going to ask who he was.

What did he do anyway?

BennyCake

Quote from: hardstation on October 31, 2020, 11:52:41 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 31, 2020, 11:43:33 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 31, 2020, 11:37:05 PM

I was just going to ask who he was.

What did he do anyway?
Leading figure in Catholic emancipation. They named a prominent Dublin street after him.
Huge blow this.

Deary me. Was he good at throwball then?

marty34

The same people who are giving out out about O'Connell are the same people who use 'northern ireland' or 'ni' in their terminology on here.

How ironic?

6th sam

Quote from: marty34 on November 01, 2020, 09:48:55 AM
The same people who are giving out out about O'Connell are the same people who use 'northern ireland' or 'ni' in their terminology on here.

How ironic?

Why do people confuse separate issues and put them under 1 banner.. Many prefer to use "north of ireland" but will refer to NI on occasions , for convenience and whether we like it or not that's established nomenclature for this place in international law. Opinions on wearing a poppy are hardly tied up in terminology around politics here.
I totally respect anyone's right to wear a poppy and admire many of my friends who choose to wear one each year . However I think the valid principle behind choosing to wear a poppy is totally undermined by the expectation , promoted by the BBC (to whom we have to pay a licence fee, and according to the GFA should equally respect both identities here) , that everybody should wear one on TV, and therefore leaving those that don't , exposed to racist abuse. If Paul O'Connell walks about limerick every November wearing a poppy , for family reasons for example , I'll totally support him . However if he succumbs to the default expectation by the BBC and others that he wears one on TV, then he is actually isolating James McClean's principled stance. It could be argued also that he is disrespecting the poppy by effectively only wearing one  because his paymasters basically insist on it.

BennyCake

The BBC are the British government's propaganda machine, and they have created a poppy fascism which has led to people like John Snow being abused for not wearing one. The FA have adapted this position too, which has led to McClean being continually abused and insulted since 2011, and not just around Remembrance Day neither. Poppies should be nowhere near football shirts, nor should there be poppy wreaths/bugles/minute silences etc at football matches either.

It all reminds me of GWB's statement "you're either with us, or you're with the terrorists". It's basically the same with the poppy.

BennyCake

I wonder will Sidey, Oisin and Marty have their poppies on today, them working for the BBC and all that?

Rossfan

Seems that the BRITISH BC Northern Ireland don't insist on poppy wearing.
For Marty and other Shinners who negotiated and support the GFA   How many times is the term "Northern Ireland" used in that agreement?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LCohen

Quote from: qwerty123 on October 31, 2020, 11:18:40 PM

I have have no problem with POC choosing to wear a poppy.
I would have a problem with the BBC if they insisted on him wearing it.

LCohen

Quote from: BennyCake on November 01, 2020, 11:01:18 AM
I wonder will Sidey, Oisin and Marty have their poppies on today, them working for the BBC and all that?

Who really cares??

If they wear them there will be assholes with their twitter accounts primed to give them abuse.
If they don't wear them there will be assholes with their twitter accounts primed to give them abuse.

Most people will just get in with their lives

LCohen

Quote from: Rossfan on November 01, 2020, 11:20:22 AM
Seems that the BRITISH BC Northern Ireland don't insist on poppy wearing.
For Marty and other Shinners who negotiated and support the GFA   How many times is the term "Northern Ireland" used in that agreement?

You want someone to count the number of times the term Northern Ireland is used in the Agreement? To what end?

Unbelievable that people get their knickers in a twist over people using the term Northern Ireland to refer to Northern Ireland

restorepride

Quote from: LCohen on November 01, 2020, 12:37:08 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 01, 2020, 11:01:18 AM

Who really cares??

If they wear them there will be assholes with their twitter accounts primed to give them abuse.
If they don't wear them there will be assholes with their twitter accounts primed to give them abuse.

Most people will just get in with their lives
[/qu
Leonard Cohen does!  That is why he recorded Kevin Barry.  100 years today - less we forget and all that.  The British killed many innocent people in recent times, poppy donations also go to the soldiers who pulled the triggers - there should be no poppies.