Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

This time of year Poppies go on sale. Some people buy them so as to donate money to the british security forces, while others buy them to wear as a visible badge of loyalty.

Yesterday morning I saw a chap with a poppy pinned to his baseball cap.

Have you seen poppies in unusual places?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

BerfArmagh

Mary Byrne & the young lad from west meath were wearing them on the xfactor. Shame on them

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: BerfArmagh on November 04, 2010, 12:37:26 PM
Mary Byrne & the young lad from west meath were wearing them on the xfactor. Shame on them

Good to see free choice is alive and well. If they want to wear them, so what and yes i know symbolisim etc. Plenty of Irish men in the ranks of the British Army over the years.

glens abu

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 04, 2010, 12:55:36 PM

Good to see free choice is alive and well. If they want to wear them, so what and yes i know symbolisim etc. Plenty of Irish men in the ranks of the British Army over the years.

I would say its a case of being made wear them on the X-factor.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 04, 2010, 12:55:36 PM

Money talks, all those Irish working in england wear them, its more a symbol of the irish licking the holes of brits, pandering for votes or money. I see it as selling your soul. Do they realise there supporting the comfortable retirement of all those brit soldiers who killed innocent people up North.

Is it complusary on brit tv to wear one?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

haranguerer

I think it is now. Other years there would have been plenty on tv not wearing them, now I think it must be mandatory - even the likes of the apprentice 'you're fired' last night, everyone had them pinned on (incl Dara)

supersarsfields

I thought Nadine Coyle refused to wear one on some morning tv program. But I could be wrong!

lynchbhoy

while it should be left up to the individual on the telly - I dont see too much wrong with dara o'bhrian wearing one as well as peruvian Paloma also wearing one on the 'apprentice' tv show last night.
If nadine coyle refused to wear one (I think I recall that) well that should also be up to her.

Poppy wearing wasnt that common in certain parts of England during the 70's at least but seems to have become a part of the British 'culture' now a days.

People dont want to be left out or ostracised because they are not 'joining in'.
shouldnt matter but thats the way it is.

Muzz

Quote from: haranguerer on November 04, 2010, 01:15:01 PM
I think it is now. Other years there would have been plenty on tv not wearing them, now I think it must be mandatory - even the likes of the apprentice 'you're fired' last night, everyone had them pinned on (incl Dara)

Use to be compulsary on BBC but if I remember correctly some of the newsline ladies challenged it and won.  A lot more havent wore poppies since.

I can understand people wanting to support as some people said a lot of irish in the British Army ranks and infact Irish fought in the wars with them - but what rags me is that in the North its a show of symbolism.  That you are (most likely) a protestant.  I certainly feel that people are trying to show something rather than any support it is suppose to bring.

What really rags me is Public Servants wearing them - Police etc.  Dont get it.

Donkeywalloper

I take it, with your stance on the high moral ground that youor your family  have never benefited from anything the British State offered ? I think some of you go out of your way to be offended. FFS its a different world we're living in and concerns for a lot of people at the moment are more economic rather than historical ideology.

Ireland would a one step closer to unification if the two contestents on a british television show rejected the wearing of a poppy.   ::)   The schools must be still on holidays.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 04, 2010, 01:23:16 PM
while it should be left up to the individual on the telly - I dont see too much wrong with dara o'bhrian wearing one as well as peruvian Paloma also wearing one on the 'apprentice' tv show last night.If nadine coyle refused to wear one (I think I recall that) well that should also be up to her.

Poppy wearing wasnt that common in certain parts of England during the 70's at least but seems to have become a part of the British 'culture' now a days.

People dont want to be left out or ostracised because they are not 'joining in'.
Wasn't her poppy that caught my eye  ;)

deiseach

Quote from: Donkeywalloper on November 04, 2010, 01:28:16 PM

I take it, with your stance on the high moral ground that youor your family  have never benefited from anything the British State offered ? I think some of you go out of your way to be offended. FFS its a different world we're living in and concerns for a lot of people at the moment are more economic rather than historical ideology.

Is the poppy a symbol of the British state? There was me thinking it was a symbol to remember those who died in ALL wars yaddyyaddayadda. I don't blame Mary Byrne et al for wearing the poppy. When in Rome and all that. But it devalues the symbolism of donning the poppy if everyone is obliged to wear it

Banana Man

QuoteQuote from: lynchbhoy on Today at 01:23:16 PM
while it should be left up to the individual on the telly - I dont see too much wrong with dara o'bhrian wearing one as well as peruvian Paloma also wearing one on the 'apprentice' tv show last night.If nadine coyle refused to wear one (I think I recall that) well that should also be up to her.

Wasn't her poppy that caught my eye   

Just read the bottom bit from you Tony and thought you were on about MAry Byrne, gave me a fright  :D

Evil Genius

Quote from: Orior on November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM
This time of year Poppies go on sale. Some people buy them so as to donate money to the british security forces, while others buy them to wear as a visible badge of loyalty.
I shall be buying one on the off-chance (no matter how remote) that I might bump into "Pints of Guinness" and be able to 'rub his face in it':
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=17732.0

Though I also like to think it honours the boys/bhoys of the Royal Irish out in Helmand, too:

Meanwhile, I see those pesky (Far) West Brits out in Canada are wearing them, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX_3y3u5Uo

And so as not to be left out, the West Frogs are in on it, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcjnqM6KQsQ&feature=related
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"