The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 06, 2018, 07:51:26 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 06, 2018, 07:23:52 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 06, 2018, 07:18:51 PM
Captain Obvious' prediction is going for bad to worse.
But why do you feel a need to make a comment like that?

Because he's a massive ar$ehole
LMAO

Best thing about any cup competition is the underdog winning. Delighted for Belgium.

Wildweasel74

But are they a real underdog? Just look at the players they have!@

Cunny Funt

Apart from boring old England its a mostly enjoyable World cup so far.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Syferus on July 06, 2018, 08:42:30 PM
It might help if Belgium, y'know, mark Neymar.

Edit: I guess we're not getting a World Cup final this year.

Fellaini had him in his pocket.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 06, 2018, 09:13:37 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 06, 2018, 07:51:26 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 06, 2018, 07:23:52 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 06, 2018, 07:18:51 PM
Captain Obvious' prediction is going for bad to worse.
But why do you feel a need to make a comment like that?

Because he's a massive ar$ehole
LMAO

Best thing about any cup competition is the underdog winning. Delighted for Belgium.

My commiserations.

thejuice

Funny how subdued it is here in England. If we got this far we'd have painted every wall, every car, cat, dog and small child green. They really don't go in for wearing the colours. There's the odd house with a flag but it's not that many.

That said there's a good few now thinking they'll win the thing but honestly they're behind Belgium, France, Croatia and not much better than Sweden if at all. They would probably beat Russia but i wouldn't bet in that either.

Still if they win fair play to them but I think just reaching a semi would be a huge achievement for the quality they have.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

mrdeeds

Quote from: thejuice on July 06, 2018, 11:18:51 PM
Funny how subdued it is here in England. If we got this far we'd have painted every wall, every car, cat, dog and small child green. They really don't go in for wearing the colours. There's the odd house with a flag but it's not that many.

That said there's a good few now thinking they'll win the thing but honestly they're behind Belgium, France, Croatia and not much better than Sweden if at all. They would probably beat Russia but i wouldn't bet in that either.

Still if they win fair play to them but I think just reaching a semi would be a huge achievement for the quality they have.

Isn't being pro England seen as being anti British?

thejuice

I don't think it's that much of a factor more I think it's seen as a very working class thing to do.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Aaron Boone

Judgement Day.

There will be no Stockholm Syndrome for England

redcard

With only European teams left surely England will want to get the hell out of there ASAP.
Englands coming home

Wildweasel74

Just watching bbc breakfast there! These idiots have lost the run of themselves ! You literally think they are straight through to the final already 2 games out! You compare the news and shearer/ linker and co who making idiots of themselves compated to the low profile approach of the manager and the players!

Cunny Funt

Either team to qualify in extra time 11/2 or Sweden to win on penalties 8/1 is very tempting odds

Dire Ear

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 07, 2018, 09:03:18 AM
Just watching bbc breakfast there! These idiots have lost the run of themselves ! You literally think they are straight through to the final already 2 games out! You compare the news and shearer/ linker and co who making idiots of themselves compated to the low profile approach of the manager and the players!
No fan of the English,  but agree about Southgate and the players- seem likeable enough crowdahoors.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Dire Ear on July 07, 2018, 09:42:00 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 07, 2018, 09:03:18 AM
No fan of the English,  but agree about Southgate and the players- seem likeable enough crowdahoors.

I've been living in England for years and am friends with a lot of lads who are supporting England and the whole "its coming home" stuff is massively tongue in cheek. They are just genuinely excited / surprised about being in a position where the draw seems to have opened up for them - and why shouldn't they? I remember in 2002 genuinely thinking Ireland could make a semi final as South Korea were waiting in the quarter final if we had beaten Spain. I had completely lost the run of myself - and don't me started on Italia 90. If people cant get excited during the build up to a (winnable) world cup quarter final then I don't know when is acceptable. Having said that..... I hope the feckers lose.
That was never a square ball!!