The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

England will be in final six this time tomorrow. Inching closer.

If they win v Sweden, they will be in Russia for the final week as there is a 3rd/4th place playoff.

Milltown Row2

Jesus England had one decent game, hammered Panama, struggled  v Tunisia and needed penalties v Columbia! In between got duffed by Belgium! Regardless of the draw England will get caught out..

The difference between previous England teams is obvious, no individual taking the limelight, but unfortunately passion and pride in playing for your country is still missing from their performances.. winning one set of penalties can be lucky, winning two? (hopefully) impossible!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

DrinkingHarp

Do the Neymar!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_7JskPDjWY

Seriously, lets go Uruguay!!! I have 100 on them at 16 to 1.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: lenny on July 05, 2018, 08:40:32 AM
The world cup needs some kind of more robust seeding because this year the final will totally be devalued with a very weak team in it. One of england, sweden, croatia or russia will make the final. On the other side of the draw there are 4 very strong teams all of whom would be worthy fianlists. It would've been great to see a final of Brazil/belgium v Uruguay/France.
England in this tournament have reached the qf and the only teams they have beaten are tunisia and panama. I can see their game v sweden going to pens but if they come through that they will most likely be beaten by croatia who are technically far superior.

It does have a seeding system, it's called the group stages!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

lenny

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 06, 2018, 12:01:42 AM
Jesus England had one decent game, hammered Panama, struggled  v Tunisia and needed penalties v Columbia! In between got duffed by Belgium! Regardless of the draw England will get caught out..

The difference between previous England teams is obvious, no individual taking the limelight, but unfortunately passion and pride in playing for your country is still missing from their performances.. winning one set of penalties can be lucky, winning two? (hopefully) impossible!

I can see the sweden match ending 0-0 or 1-1 and going to penalties. Neither team has much creativity but both are well organised so there won't be many chances. England could win another shootout because they have prepared well for that scenario. They could reach a world cup semi with their only victories being against panama and tunisia.

quit yo jibbajabba

And only goals thus far via pens and corners i think....

square_ball

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 06, 2018, 11:45:51 AM

Lingard and a deflection of Harry Kane's heel are the only ones from open play so far.

NAG1

Quote from: square_ball on July 06, 2018, 12:05:06 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 06, 2018, 11:45:51 AM

Lingard and a deflection of Harry Kane's heel are the only ones from open play so far.

Yeah they dont create massive amounts of chances but I think this more European type match will play into their hands.

Most of the time in the Colombian game Harry Kane ended up playing in a deeper number 10 type role. In this game I would imagine he will be pushed right up the pitch and they will have runners all around him.

Sweden are a bit light going forward and hard to see where a goal comes from.

Insane Bolt

Drink flying off the shelves here in Blighty, met a bunch of lads this morning in Asda, they had 3 large trolleys full of booze....I asked when does the party start? .....they said 12 today and hopefully all weekend 😜. I said good luck though gritted teeth😂. Can't blame them, imagine if Ireland were in QF of a World Cup, there would be some partying😎

Mayo4Sam

Anyone seen the "its coming home" page on FB

I chuckled
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

sid waddell

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 06, 2018, 01:47:07 PM
Anyone seen the "its coming home" page on FB

I chuckled
I bet you didn't chuckle half as hard as England fans would have chuckled at all the "Mayo For Sam" Facebook pages and flags and all the rest over the last six years, if they knew anything about Gaelic football of course.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: gallsman on July 05, 2018, 09:41:43 PM
This world cup has been entertaining, that's for sure. Has it even been better than 2014 though? Not in my book.
I don't think any World Cup will come near 1982 in my opinion.
Careful now

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: hardstation on July 03, 2018, 10:34:28 PM
I'll be honest, the current England team & the media plays little to no part in me hoping they get stuffed in every game they play.
So I assume it's Uruguay this afternoon if only because their Air Traffic Controllers aren't holding the rest of their continent to ransom
Careful now

AZOffaly

Quote from: Insane Bolt on July 06, 2018, 12:15:37 PM
Drink flying off the shelves here in Blighty, met a bunch of lads this morning in Asda, they had 3 large trolleys full of booze....I asked when does the party start? .....they said 12 today and hopefully all weekend 😜. I said good luck though gritted teeth😂. Can't blame them, imagine if Ireland were in QF of a World Cup, there would be some partying😎

Ireland were, and there was.

Boycey

Absolutely mental times.. It's hard to relate to someone who is too young to remember it how batshit crazy the whole country went...

28 fecking years ago  :o