The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Sweden are a very dour team. Organised certainly, but dreadfully dour.

Lovers of the beautiful game such as myself will certainly be supporting England.

I like the World Cup final to be between two of the great powers of the game. For that to happen this time, England have to be involved.

An England v Brazil final is an absolutely mouthwatering prospect.

This England team are also a very likeable bunch of chaps indeed.

BennyCake

Capt Pat

Quote from: sid waddell on July 03, 2018, 11:33:24 PM

Lovers of the beautiful game such as myself will certainly be supporting England.

I like the World Cup final to be between two of the great powers of the game. For that to happen this time, England have to be involved.

You maybe didn't see the Sweden v Switzerland game today where Sweden made more chances in their 90 minute game than England did in 120 minutes. So lovers of the beautiful game will be more likely to support Sweden.

ONeill

Quote from: sid waddell on July 03, 2018, 11:25:01 PM
The England penalty was a stonewaller.

And the Colombian chap's headbutt on Jordan Henderson was a stonewall red card.

Like fook was it a red card. And like fook was it a butt.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thewobbler

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 03, 2018, 11:45:20 PM

You maybe didn't see the Sweden v Switzerland game today where Sweden made more chances in their 90 minute game than England did in 120 minutes. So lovers of the beautiful game will be more likely to support Sweden.

They are quite a likeable bunch though.

The two Harrys seem unusually civilised blokes for footballers. Them, plus likes of Henderson, Trippier, Rose, seem willing to make the most out of a little talent, which again isn't normal behaviour for an English professional in recent years. Even the more showy ones like Alii, Sterling, Lingard and Stones aren't that punchable.

England played tidy but mostly ineffective football for 70 mins and then looked shattered. Never in my life have I had sympathy for mollycoddled pros, but it would appear that the premiership season might take its toll.

sid waddell

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 03, 2018, 11:45:20 PM

I did see it. It was a dreadfully boring match. Credit to Sweden for winning it but one feels that had Lichtsteiner and Schaer been available to the Swiss, the result may well have been different.

Not one Swedish player would get into the England first XI.

England have more than enough firepower to prevail, with Harry Kane now standing on 6 goals and an unbackable favourite to win the Golden Boot.

sid waddell

Quote from: ONeill on July 03, 2018, 11:50:19 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 03, 2018, 11:25:01 PM
The England penalty was a stonewaller.

And the Colombian chap's headbutt on Jordan Henderson was a stonewall red card.

Like fook was it a red card. And like fook was it a butt.
It was much more of a headbutt than Charlie Redmond's in 1995, that's for sure.

Solo_run

I can't believe they won't meet a top 10 team until the final. Then they have a chance to fluke a WC

ONeill

A World Cup is never fluked.

You could argue Denmark and Greece in the Euros but no way is a side in that bottom half winning it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Harold Disgracey

For those worrying about England winning, fear not, I have them in a sweep and I never win these things.

Syferus

Some of you lads need to look at Croatia's teamsheet before you say no one in that half is capable of winning it.

Capt Pat

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the yobbo England fans have stayed home from this world cup after the battering they received from the Russians in France. They are missing out on all the fun. There has been no reported trouble from anyone at this tournament.

gawa316

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 03, 2018, 10:57:17 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 03, 2018, 10:42:22 PM
Typical the Liverpool player bottled his peno
Needed the Everton goalie to bail him out

Pretty much confirms the bitters are the number 1 team in Liverpool now

Insane Bolt

Two shots on target against Colombia🙄, goals conceded against world giants Tunisia, pub team Panama, beaten by Belgium reserves, and yet they are in the Quarterfinals. The standard has been very poor. Away to see if I can get a Sweden top😎