The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Quote from: bennydorano on July 03, 2018, 10:28:24 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 03, 2018, 10:21:42 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 03, 2018, 10:14:23 PM
Underestimate the Swedes at their peril as well, a very honest hardworking team - the type of team who England would take for granted that they're going to beat because they're not all at glamorous clubs.

Why do we think this England team is underestimating anyone? I don't get that sense from them at all. I think they know they are not the most talented bunch and will have to work hard to beat anybody.

Just because the S*n says they are winning it doesn't mean the players are.
Not the angle I'm coming from as I have England backed, so i sure as f**k hope they don't underestimate them!
I have them in a pub sweepstakes

Solo_run

If ex players are thinking England should be beating the likes of Colombia then I be would say it would be the same with the players.
From an outside perspective this is Englands easiest run to a final, everything has fallen into place for them. However, they never scored a goal against Colombia in open play, Sweden will be a step up, I think they will get past them but after that they aren't going to do much. I fe**ing hope!

manfromdelmonte

Typical the Liverpool player bottled his peno
Needed the Everton goalie to bail him out

RedHand88

Quote from: HiMucker on July 03, 2018, 10:03:04 PM
Jesus anyone see the reaction of the pundits on itv.   Embarrassing stuff  ;D they were in tears  ;D

Just imagine if it was Ireland. Imagine.

Dash83

For all their good players, England don't really have a system or style of play. As poor as Colombia were I can't think of too many England chances.

AZOffaly

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 03, 2018, 10:42:22 PM

Ara he should have caught the long range shot and it wouldn't have even gone to penalties. He does seem to be a decent keeper  but I suppose he gets a lot of practice at Everton.

sid waddell

Quote from: sid waddell on June 30, 2018, 12:42:43 AM
France v Argentina: France should win this at a canter, but I don't trust them - the Aussies and Peru troubled them. Argentina are so shapeless that I think France will get there, but on a narrow scoreline, maybe 2-1.

Uruguay v Portugal: 0-0 and penalties. Uruguay to win that with it not reaching the final Portuguese penalty.

Spain v Russia: Think there's a reasonable chance of a shock here. Spain have looked less impressive by the game and the departure of their manager may be beginning to show. I'll go with Russia to win on penalties after a 1-1 draw.

Crotia v Denmark: Croatia have been impressive so far, but I sense a shock here. The Danes are dogged and organised, have not yet conceded a goal from play, and have Christian Eriksen. 1-0 to Denmark.

Brazil v Mexico: I suspect Mexico have shot their load and Brazil will brush them aside. 3-0.

Belgium v Japan: Workmanlike victory for Belgium. 2-0.

Sweden v Switzerland: Sweden have wreaked a trail of destruction, beating France in qualification and eliminating Italy and Germany. I think this may be as far as they go. They'll meet a team who are every bit as organised as they are, and have a touch more class. 1-0 to the Swiss.

Colombia v England: I think this could be a classic in the vein of Argentina v England 1998. Fascinating clash of styles. I expect England to have trouble with Colombia's passing style and I'd be very surprised if they don't concede. But in turn I expect Colombia to have a lot of problems with England's physicality. 2-2. England to finally slay their penalties bogey.

Which would leave the quarter-finals as:
Uruguay v France
Brazil v Belgium
Russia v Denmark
Switzerland v England
A reasonably good effort even if I may say so myself.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 03, 2018, 10:42:22 PM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on July 03, 2018, 10:57:01 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 30, 2018, 12:42:43 AM
France v Argentina: France should win this at a canter, but I don't trust them - the Aussies and Peru troubled them. Argentina are so shapeless that I think France will get there, but on a narrow scoreline, maybe 2-1.

Uruguay v Portugal: 0-0 and penalties. Uruguay to win that with it not reaching the final Portuguese penalty.

Spain v Russia: Think there's a reasonable chance of a shock here. Spain have looked less impressive by the game and the departure of their manager may be beginning to show. I'll go with Russia to win on penalties after a 1-1 draw.

Crotia v Denmark: Croatia have been impressive so far, but I sense a shock here. The Danes are dogged and organised, have not yet conceded a goal from play, and have Christian Eriksen. 1-0 to Denmark.

Brazil v Mexico: I suspect Mexico have shot their load and Brazil will brush them aside. 3-0.

Belgium v Japan: Workmanlike victory for Belgium. 2-0.

Sweden v Switzerland: Sweden have wreaked a trail of destruction, beating France in qualification and eliminating Italy and Germany. I think this may be as far as they go. They'll meet a team who are every bit as organised as they are, and have a touch more class. 1-0 to the Swiss.

Colombia v England: I think this could be a classic in the vein of Argentina v England 1998. Fascinating clash of styles. I expect England to have trouble with Colombia's passing style and I'd be very surprised if they don't concede. But in turn I expect Colombia to have a lot of problems with England's physicality. 2-2. England to finally slay their penalties bogey.

Which would leave the quarter-finals as:
Uruguay v France
Brazil v Belgium
Russia v Denmark
Switzerland v England
A reasonably good effort even if I may say so myself.

Good effort?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

Sweden will be  well able to play against England. They will match up well against England at set peices. As that is Englands only real route to scoring goals in this tournament, it gives Sweden a good chance. I can see this one going to penalties as well.

Kane dived for the penalty he was awarded or he went down too easily.

Wildweasel74

Ffs the defender was hanging of him with both arms round him! The blame is with the player marking him@

sid waddell

The England penalty was a stonewaller.

And the Colombian chap's headbutt on Jordan Henderson was a stonewall red card.

Colombia disgraced themselves for most of the match. They were on top for probably 30 minutes (the last 15 of normal time and the first half of extra-time) but England were the better team for the other 90.

Justice was certainly done with England going through.

An Watcher

All defenders are at it ffs.  Could easily pick incidents in the English penalty box that were pens

Solo_run

England landed a few headbutts themselves and were diving all over the place

However Colombia were doing it throughout. There was a period where they were more interested in winding England up more than playing football

BennyCake

Right, Sweden... It's over to you.

These wankers are too close to the final for my liking.