Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Someone had this bet he or she won't be too pleased with Schmeichel.

GJL

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 27, 2020, 06:13:11 PM

LOL. Nightmare.

I think it is time for him to be moved on too. Not good enough to be a Utd player anymore.

Boycey

https://twitter.com/Fat_Tony88/status/1283873974989070337?s=19

Paddy Power paid him out on it and he in turn gave it to charity I think. Well done all round. 

BennyCake

Quote from: GJL on July 27, 2020, 06:16:19 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 27, 2020, 06:13:11 PM

LOL. Nightmare.

I think it is time for him to be moved on too. Not good enough to be a Utd player anymore.

I think it shows how much England were hyped up during the 2018 World Cup, and how poor their opponents were. Lingard was a regular in that team, and even looked good, and scored a couple if I recall.

When you also think who else was hyped up beyond madness in that team: Trippier, Young, Pickford, Maguire, Stones, Alli - all have been poor since.

Even Southgate was being tipped to take over at one of the top teams. Madness.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: BennyCake on July 27, 2020, 07:49:35 PMI think it shows how much England were hyped up during the 2018 World Cup, and how poor their opponents were. Lingard was a regular in that team, and even looked good, and scored a couple if I recall.

When you also think who else was hyped up beyond madness in that team: Trippier, Young, Pickford, Maguire, Stones, Alli - all have been poor since.

Even Southgate was being tipped to take over at one of the top teams. Madness.

Lingard was very good in 2018. He scored 13 goals for United that season, and another 4 for England. It did really look like a breakthrough for him. But it was really just an outlier.

He's almost 28 now, and there isn't another year anything like 2018 on his CV. His level is clearly lower half of the table, maybe even Championship. It would be in everyone's best interests if he moved on in the next few weeks.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

quit yo jibbajabba

Is Lingard not on crazy money tho? Ie he'd get nowhere near it if he did move..

NAG1

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 28, 2020, 01:18:35 PM

He would be on big money yeah, to be fair I think even Ole has lost confidence in him. He appeared to back him at the start citing family issues making life difficult for him, but since then he has barely played him.

Problem is who would actually want him on the kind of money he is on? Everton used to be the go to club for a sale like this but I can't see them wanting him, he would appear to be another Walcott for them.

West Ham maybe? I would say the Europa Cup will be his shop window for a move I can see him getting good game time in that.

quit yo jibbajabba

I can see a structure with Utd that hasnt been about for a few years - a core of a decent team a set midfield/defence/forward line and even an idea of backups and where they fit in. In none of these areas does Jesse fit in but given the current circumstances  could be a tough one to get rid of

Maroon Manc

A lot of nonsense talked and written about Maguire, he's had a good season. He was part of a the worst United team in terms of quality in 40 years and probably a lot longer; Its no coincidence as soon as there was genuine quality in front of him and also he was part of a settled back 4 that United have improved dramatically as a team defensively. 7 goals in the last 14 league games and 2 of them were the most ridiculous penalties you could ever concede as opposed to 29 in the first 24 games. He's had made a few mistakes which were unfortunately which were magnified by huge errors by De Gea. United in the early part of the season conceded way too many goals from set peices, at one stage for a few months every other goal we conceded was from a set piece but in the last 14 games there has only been one conceded from a set piece.

Maguire would be far better complemented with a quicker centre half, I don't think Ole will rush into buying anyone unless the right defender comes available. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Smalling return from Roma where he's had a good season. 

NAG1

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 28, 2020, 01:49:00 PM
A lot of nonsense talked and written about Maguire, he's had a good season. He was part of a the worst United team in terms of quality in 40 years and probably a lot longer; Its no coincidence as soon as there was genuine quality in front of him and also he was part of a settled back 4 that United have improved dramatically as a team defensively. 7 goals in the last 14 league games and 2 of them were the most ridiculous penalties you could ever concede as opposed to 29 in the first 24 games. He's had made a few mistakes which were unfortunately which were magnified by huge errors by De Gea. United in the early part of the season conceded way too many goals from set peices, at one stage for a few months every other goal we conceded was from a set piece but in the last 14 games there has only been one conceded from a set piece.

Maguire would be far better complemented with a quicker centre half, I don't think Ole will rush into buying anyone unless the right defender comes available. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Smalling return from Roma where he's had a good season.

Yes he has had a good season there. I don't think he is any worse but more importantly maybe not much better than the others who are still there.

He probably suffered as well not playing in a settled team and not with a partner who could lead. Maguire actually would be good for him to play along side, but I would imagine it might be difficult for him to get back in at this stage.

Ed Ricketts

His contract is up next summer, that should be the main concern for him and his agent. Especially as his next deal will likely be the last big one of his career.

He either goes and gets that next contract now, or he does so after another 12 months of benchwarming. I'd be jumping now, the way things have been shaping up for him.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: NAG1 on July 28, 2020, 02:01:28 PM

Yes he has had a good season there. I don't think he is any worse but more importantly maybe not much better than the others who are still there.

He probably suffered as well not playing in a settled team and not with a partner who could lead. Maguire actually would be good for him to play along side, but I would imagine it might be difficult for him to get back in at this stage.

I thought Smalling had been very average for a few years, just so uncomfortable on the ball and made too many mistakes defensively. He was though part of a United team that used to drop a lot deeper and that didn't suit him as he'd just panic and lauch it forward whereas this United team play further up the pitch. According to a report today it sounds like he won't be short of offers in Italy if Roma don't come up with the fee. 

BennyCake

Quote from: NAG1 on July 28, 2020, 02:01:28 PM

He is. A lot worse.

The amount of penalties he's given away, and should have given away, by wrestling with opponents and ripping the shirt off them is unbelievable. That's all he does. Like De Gea, he's an absolute liability. I don't care if he stays at Roma or goes elsewhere, as long as he doesn't come back.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 28, 2020, 02:15:10 PM

His contract is up next summer, that should be the main concern for him and his agent. Especially as his next deal will likely be the last big one of his career.

He either goes and gets that next contract now, or he does so after another 12 months of benchwarming. I'd be jumping now, the way things have been shaping up for him.

Why would you leave now on 100k a week for another 12 months. If he leaves next year, at 28, English and as a free agent? He's going to get at least 150k a week somewhere else or alternatively a big lump sum sign on to keep the wage down.

The only reason for him to move right now is if he harbours any England ambitions.

BennyCake

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 28, 2020, 03:02:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 28, 2020, 02:15:10 PM

Why would you leave now on 100k a week for another 12 months. If he leaves next year, at 28, English and as a free agent? He's going to get at least 150k a week somewhere else or alternatively a big lump sum sign on to keep the wage down.

The only reason for him to move right now is if he harbours any England ambitions.

Or to play Catweazel.