Started by Mossy Bruce, March 20, 2018, 11:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy Bruce

Laois 3-23
Meath 0-14

Phew! That's more like it.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mossy Bruce

So this statement is from yesterday on rte.ie, "Laois could avoid the play-off and finish fourth if Antrim were to lose to Kerry,...".

Antrim did lose to Kerry but we're still fifth on the table. This article probably should have said "... if Kerry beats the living sh!te out of Antrim."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/results/gaa/2018/6136/tables/

So I guess we will be playing the winner of the Christy Ring to avoid relegation. I hope we get as good of scoring as we did today. :)
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Joeythelips

Don Draper

Hurling out of the way for the CB. It's up to the players and clubs to make sure this isn't brushed under the carpet now. Changes needed. Urgently.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Joeythelips on June 09, 2018, 08:29:53 PM
Nope, Meath go down and Antrim playoff against Christy Ring Cup winners.
http://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/ring-rackard-and-meagher-cup-finals-details-165803/

Great news! Though I don't understand why if we're below Antrim on the tables. Anyway, great news.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

drici

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on June 09, 2018, 09:31:18 PM

Quote from: Joeythelips on June 09, 2018, 08:29:53 PM
Nope, Meath go down and Antrim playoff against Christy Ring Cup winners.
http://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/ring-rackard-and-meagher-cup-finals-details-165803/

Great news! Though I don't understand why if we're below Antrim on the tables. Anyway, great news.

http://www.gaa.ie/the-gaa/rules-regulations/

In a scenario whereby two teams vying for promotion or battling to avoid relegation are level on points, here is how a tie-break is determined.

• The team that won the head-to-head match is ranked first

• If this game was a draw, scoring difference is used to rank the teams

• If scoring difference is identical, the total scores is used to rank the teams

• If this is still identical, a play-off is required

If three or more teams are level on points, then the head to head rule no longer applies and scoring difference is used to rank the teams.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: drici on June 09, 2018, 10:08:11 PM
• The team that won the head-to-head match is ranked first

Ahh. That clears it up for me. Thanks, Drici!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Tobias

So what now? Everythings ok? Nothing changes.
Meath win merely papers over the cracks until another year of despair in 2019!

merman

Quote from: Tobias on June 10, 2018, 04:18:33 AM

Take the win. Be grateful that results worked in our favour.
There's no one with any cop-on going to let that result paper over any cracks.

Kelly's a goner; he knows it, players know it.
The key now is to get the right people in place to find his successor.

Tobias

Quote from: merman on June 10, 2018, 09:27:38 AM
Quote from: Tobias on June 10, 2018, 04:18:33 AM

Take the win. Be grateful that results worked in our favour.
There's no one with any cop-on going to let that result paper over any cracks.

Kelly's a goner; he knows it, players know it.
The key now is to get the right people in place to find his successor.

We have the players to win the Joe McDonagh cup in the next couple of years but how much can we improve in reality. While it would have been great to win the McDonagh cup final this year, If we had we would end up playing Wexford, Clare or Cork and would have been annihilated. A long term plan is required to have more kids playing the game and improve the standards of hurling across the County. Kelly successor isn't hugely relevant in my opinion.

portlaoisekid

So Kelly is gone, please god the cb see sense and get cheddar back in and let him implement his plan for laois hurling.

Don Draper

LooseCannon

Quote from: Don Draper on June 11, 2018, 08:26:32 PM
Arien surely?
He won a Leinster league final by 5 points v St Rynagh's. Shinrone were short 2 players.
Rynagh's were short 5 starters.

Goku

Think Arien has to be the favorite, Highly rated up in Camross, passionate Laois man and might even get a few of the Camross lads back on board.

Tobias

I think Cheddar should certainly be heading up the hunt for a new Manager but I don't think he should be the new manager. He was there for a few years and he was with the minors before that so someone with a slightly different approach and a new voice might be a wiser option.
Id love to see him try again with his blueprint for Laois hurling and for the Co board to realize their mistake and support Cheddars long term plan. He could also form part of the backroom team for the senior hurlers surveying things in the background, he would pick up on things and think outside the box in terms of drumming up interest in hurling, promoting it, planning the financial side of things.

This probably sounds harsh or unfair but I don't think the current panel are good enough to get us to where we want to go - that being able to compete in the leinster championship proper against Kilkenny and Wexford etc. They are good enough to win the McDonagh cup alright but are we happy with that? No is the answer to that so that's why I feel a long term plan should be foremost for the County board to develop Laois hurling.