FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

INDIANA

uefa site has nothing up yet. Platini and Blatter on the phone I'd say.

Tony Baloney

With the lack of firepower up front I wouldn't fancy the chances against any of those teams. You could say that at any stage in the past decade.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 11, 2011, 10:59:17 PM
With the lack of firepower up front I wouldn't fancy the chances against any of those teams. You could say that at any stage in the past decade.

The fun and games are over for Ireland now. Slovakia and Armenia shit the bed. Russia were streets ahead Whoever we get we are going to need to perform a lot better than we did tonight.

laoislad

Hard luck against Italy tonight.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on October 11, 2011, 11:05:37 PM

Hard luck against Italy tonight.
Come on Laoislad you know you're going to have to do better than that! Try Nally Stand.

Main Street

For those of us who had watched Armenia carefully in their games against Russia  Slovakia and Macedonia, we knew they were a very skillful and attack minded team.
Slovakia didn't take them serious enough and in doing so, their qual campaign imploded in the 2nd half.
Tonight Armenia were closed down far more effectively that in all their previous games.
They had only one 1/2 chance in the first half and scored a goal when the Ireland let the "we're in the play offs now" stun them into a paralytic state. Apart from those few minutes of madness, Ireland were comfortable enough tonight.
We can't play a passing games, that's evident even when we do pass it around.
Not Trap's fault, every team we have, from youth level up, play with fear and get through a game with energy and one or two skillful players. Then most of our better players go to the graveyard of modern football, England, to develop their art.
Our best central ball playing midfielder atm is Fahy and he plays out wide for his club.

We play a typical british game, that's how Johnny foreigner sees us for the last 25 years,  thats how we have played since we last had a decent midfield, around 1980 1981,  a midfield that could hold its own against any class ball playing team.
Trap & co have done very well with such a backward football culture.

Shamrock Shore

I liked Something Happens. They were a good band. Tom Dunne was a good singer. I hated 'Parachute' but I remember a gig in the National Stadium in 1990 that was ace.

Fast fwd to 2011.

Tom Dunne running around Aviva like a muppet getting up close with 'de fans'. His radio show is putrid and now this.

That said

(i) Ireland at times were rancid
(ii) Atmosphere in Aviva was great all through. Dah best ......
(iii) Felt sorry for Armenia goalie who bawled at the end
(iv) McGeady was a waste of space
(v) Walters remined me of Joe Sheridan, except
(vi) Dunne's goal was akin to ...ah, ye know the rest.

Main Street

Unlike ye begrudgers, McGeady did not waste his space though all the game,
He set up the 2nd goal, laid it to land right on Dunne´s mighty pecker, a sublime piece of football from McGeady.
He was better when he moved to the right side and Armenia were slower to get the 2nd marker onto him.

Leo

Dunphy & his lick-ar*e cronies beforeand were alarmed at selection of Cox...
Then Cox gets man of the match..
At least Dunphy has the wit to accept that but nil-wit O'Herlihy refers to Cox as a fool - even questions wheteher he is a cheat - after he suggested hand-ball against their goalie was dubious...
Based it seems on Cox's immediate natural reacion at the time to appeal to the referee  - compared to his thoughtful reflection at the final whistle.
You can bet that no such question has ever been asked of the constant "arms in the air" appealing Saint Robbie Keane in EVERY game he plays.
Disgraceful Dublin bias.
Fierce tame altogether

Leo

Quote from: Main Street on October 12, 2011, 12:09:30 AM
Unlike ye begrudgers, McGeady did not waste his space though all the game,
He set up the 2nd goal, laid it to land right on Dunne´s mighty pecker, a sublime piece of football from McGeady.
He was better when he moved to the right side and Armenia were slower to get the 2nd marker onto him.

Infuriating player and I would have had him off earlier but this team has so many so-so players - Trappatoni is in fact performing miracles:

Given - couldnt get a game at Man City -  and a slack goal against him tonight
O'Shea - Man Utd reject
Dunne - hero - the one shining light
St Ledger - struggling to get a game at Leicester in mid-table Championship
Kelly - Fulham sub
Duff - living off a reputation of years ago
Whelan - journeyman in-and-out at Stoke
Andrews - not good enough for lowly Blackburn, off on loan to Ipswich
McGeady - ????
Doyle - highly rated but couldn't buy a goal with a lotto win for some time now
Cox - ok for a WBA sub

As for Dunphy & Co. squealing for Coleman & Long, it's not so long that the big ant-Trapp lament was for Andy Reid, who at the time couldn't get a game at Sunderland  - and is now wasting more space than McGeady - as an occasional player for Nottingham Forest at the lower end of the Championship.

Do Irish soccer followers have any idea how limited our players and resources are?

To have qualified with this squad is some achievement. And of course it is ugly because  of those very limitations.
Fierce tame altogether

Main Street

I thought Andrews was actually decent out there, it was Whelan who was out of sorts.
Duff was our best player, after Dunne.
Fahey in his short stint made a few nice passes to feet.
Walters is a made man now. He should have a part in the squad. Unfortunate for Best, who would be his competitor for the spot.

Doyle, Long, Cox, Keane, Walters and one must go, but who?

nrico2006

Why do the like of Coleman, Long and McCarthy not get a chance?  Better players than what was starting last night.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Billys Boots

Quote from: Main Street on October 11, 2011, 11:38:22 PM
For those of us who had watched Armenia carefully in their games against Russia  Slovakia and Macedonia, we knew they were a very skillful and attack minded team.
Slovakia didn't take them serious enough and in doing so, their qual campaign imploded in the 2nd half.
Tonight Armenia were closed down far more effectively that in all their previous games.
They had only one 1/2 chance in the first half and scored a goal when the Ireland let the "we're in the play offs now" stun them into a paralytic state. Apart from those few minutes of madness, Ireland were comfortable enough tonight.
Not Trap's fault, every team we have, from youth level up, play with fear and get through a game with energy and one or two skillful players. Then most of our better players go to the graveyard of modern football, England, to develop their art.
Our best central ball playing midfielder atm is Fahy and he plays out wide for his club.

We play a typical british game, that's how Johnny foreigner sees us for the last 25 years,  thats how we have played since we last had a decent midfield, around 1980 1981,  a midfield that could hold its own against any class ball playing team.

Well said, wouldn't disagree with much of that - I thought we were very comfortable last night, and that the way the team was set-up and played was correct for the occasion.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Bingo

Quote from: Main Street on October 11, 2011, 11:38:22 PM

All very much spot on. Bigger and more skillful teams went out last night without even making the playoffs. We are horrid to watch and arguments could be made for other players to be included but the reality is Trap system is all to get results and make life difficult for other teams, he has done that with great effective. Dunphy et al will never be happy end of.