Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

As long as they don't touch the McKenna Cup
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

Quote from: rrhf on February 25, 2017, 07:18:15 AM
The big question is: if they change the name. Could a team like Mayo actually win a super 8 final?

They'd have to change Mayo's name as well.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Esmarelda

Well if nothing else, let's hope the anger that it's generated spurs those against it into action. The CPA has existed for how long? Why haven't the club players revolted years ago instead of now when an actual shortening of the inter-county season is put in place?

Clubs will get their players earlier in the next three summers. The Super 8 will mean nothing either good or bad to clubs compared to this year. So let's all see what the next step will be.

And three years is a short time when you consider how long there's been a general dissatisfaction with this issue.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on February 25, 2017, 12:50:54 PM
Quote from: rrhf on February 25, 2017, 07:18:15 AM
The big question is: if they change the name. Could a team like Mayo actually win a super 8 final?

They'd have to change Mayo's name as well.

Was thinking the same with Meath. Maybe they should have a super 4 Leinster title for them to have a chance of winning one instead of a the tarnished one they won 7 years ago! :)

BennyCake

Presumably these 3 games will be played weekly.

So, let's say Donegal win Ulster. Then 3 games, let's say Kerry A, Galway H, Kildare in Croke Park. That's an Ulster final, a trip to Kerry and Dublin all within about 3 weeks. If they progress, another trip to Croke Park for a semi final. 5 big games in 6 weeks? At €25+ for a ticket, who's going to afford that?

P Duffy says there's big turnouts for QFs. Yeah, as a one off match! If Donegal lost their first 2 games and are already out before they travel to Croke Park, who the hell's gonna go to that?!

From the Bunker

This year is the last year of my Season ticket renewal! This smacks of feeding the Croke park and the Dublin supporter. The weaker counties who voted for this will gain nothing and deserve to stay where they are for their short sightedness.

THE GRAB ALL ASSOCIATION is definitely living up to its name!

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 25, 2017, 01:11:30 PM
This year is the last year of my Season ticket renewal! This smacks of feeding the Croke park and the Dublin supporter. The weaker counties who voted for this will gain nothing and deserve to stay where they are for their short sightedness.

THE GRAB ALL ASSOCIATION is definitely living up to its name!
You honestly think they could afford to voted against it? The G could also stand for greed.

Jinxy

I wouldn't be a big fan of this 'players good, officials bad' narrative in the context of this vote.
The officials are the ones who see the accounts and have to keep the show on the road.
If Duffy & Co. dangled a nice juicy carrot in front of them for supporting this, I'd find it hard to blame them for taking a bite of it.
Maybe it won't be the end of the world, we'll have to wait and see how it works in practice.
A lot of hysterical stuff being spouted online this morning.

seafoid

Michael Duignan‏@DuignanMichael  18 mi

Congress & its delegates are detached from reality. They're being conned by the commercial arm that now runs the GAA. So sad.  #elitism
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Quote from: Jinxy on February 25, 2017, 01:21:18 PM
I wouldn't be a big fan of this 'players good, officials bad' narrative in the context of this vote.
The officials are the ones who see the accounts and have to keep the show on the road.
If Duffy & Co. dangled a nice juicy carrot in front of them for supporting this, I'd find it hard to blame them for taking a bite of it.
Maybe it won't be the end of the world, we'll have to wait and see how it works in practice.
A lot of hysterical stuff being spouted online this morning.

Therein lies the problem.

Maroon Manc

I'm not a fan but this is the start of the experiment which if works will see a Champions League type format brought in for everyone which I'd be happy with.

Going to be a very busy July & August for the 2 counties who reach the final next year with 6 games to be played over 8 or 9 weekends. The county with the biggest squad is really going to benefit here, can't think who that is!

Jinxy

Lads, is this the long con that explains the ongoing relationship with SKY?
Hard to see why they'd be bothered otherwise.
Multiple games running concurrently at the business end of the championship.
They'll be given a big chunk of them to cover, probably with first refusal once they see the match-ups.

omagh_gael

Overall, this appears to be farce. However, it will throw up some deadly fixtures. Think Dublin v Kerry in Kilarney on a warm summers evening or Tyrone v Mayo up in Healy Park. Provincial grounds packed to the rafters for real do-or-die style games.

Doesn't outweigh all the negatives though.

Jinxy

Meath vs. Kildare in the redeveloped Pairc Tailteann.

criostlinn

Quote from: seafoid on February 25, 2017, 01:26:09 PM
Michael Duignan‏@DuignanMichael  18 mi

Congress & its delegates are detached from reality. They're being conned by the commercial arm that now runs the GAA. So sad.  #elitism

Did Donald Trump hack into Michael Duignan's twitter account or something