Leinster Senior Football Championship 2020

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 07, 2020, 12:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Excellent post blueandwhite. It seems Brennan and Quirke have to hold their hand out for the very basics

Chrimtain

I know it's only half time in the Leinster final, but it's hard to see things getting much better for Meath.

Surely the GAA must see now, how big a problem they have in Leinster.

yellowcard

Hopes were raised with Donegal's last 2 performances that they had emerged as genuine contenders to Dublin. Unfortunately on tonight's performance I think Dublin are in a different League. That said I think Donegal are the only hope left of providing Dublin with a competitive game.

Butch Cassidy

The only solution to the Leinster problem is splitting Dublin. Until the inevitable 10 All Irelands in a row, nothing will change for the forseeable

Downtheroad

I think the empty stadium tonight may well be a sign for the future. No neutral in their right mind will watch this on TV never mind go to matches. I agree it will be at least a 10 in a row before the powers to be realise that they have a problem.

High Fielder

Talk of splitting Dublin is pointless. Never going to happen, or nor in my opinion should it. Dublin are semi professional these days, so that's what it's going to take to compete with them. Even allowing for the same resources and incentives, most counties would never be able to compete. It will take professionalism of sorts, and the dismantling of the inter county system, to make Gaelic football in any way interesting again. You can't keep entering a race you are never going to win

RedHand88

Did that game really need to be in Croke Park?

Tubberman

Quote from: High Fielder on November 22, 2020, 12:28:52 AM
Talk of splitting Dublin is pointless. Never going to happen, or nor in my opinion should it. Dublin are semi professional these days, so that's what it's going to take to compete with them. Even allowing for the same resources and incentives, most counties would never be able to compete. It will take professionalism of sorts, and the dismantling of the inter county system, to make Gaelic football in any way interesting again. You can't keep entering a race you are never going to win

So rather than split dublin, the intercounty game should be dismantled and replaced by a small number of professional teams?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

clonadmad

Splitting Dublin in two would only mean Dublin 1 plays Dublin 2 in every Leinster final

imtommygunn

There is absolutely no chance Dublin will be split in two. I don't know why it is talked about like it is a possibility.

Games with no fans aren't even taken out of their home stadium.

High Fielder

Quote from: Tubberman on November 22, 2020, 08:54:34 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on November 22, 2020, 12:28:52 AM

So rather than split dublin, the intercounty game should be dismantled and replaced by a small number of professional teams?

In al probability, yes. There has always been a need to ensure the best players in every county have a platform for their talent. That doesn't exist right now, and never will as long as intercounty is in place. The level of a person's progression in any sport should not be prescribed by their birthplace. The whole thing needs a rethink in my opinion. It is quite boring mostly

Keyser Söze

I think just dump the provincials? I'd have always been in favour of keeping them. But in reality now what's the point. In industry you'd use times of serious disruption to evaluate your systems and make brave changes that you'd probably never have broached in times of smooth operations.
In both the GAA and society in general this time is now. There is talk of a changing calendar etc. If making serious structural changes like that you'd be mad not to address the problem areas like the uncompetitive provincial championships.
Play the provincials as the O Byrne Cup is played now.
Use the summer months for our 8 team Divisions.
Dublin playing the other top 7 (Tyrone, Mayo, Cork, Kerry, Donegal, Galway, plus another) home or away over 10-12 weeks with the top 4 making the semis may not dominate forever more.
Dublin, being able to sleepwalk through Leinster and peak for a few games in August probably will.

This is not like the 60s/70s/80s or even 90s when you a Dublin/Kerry/Cork/Galway were delighted to get a good team together, picked it, left it as it was unless a fella retired or died, thanked the Lord for their current riches and roundly accepted that it wouldn't last forever.
Things are a hell of a lot more scientific now.
The top teams are constantly evolving in terms of both personnel and approach.
There is huge energy and resource going into ensuring that there is a constant supply line coming behind.
They are there to stay.

To remain an attractive proposition the GAA must change.
Laois be better off trying to win a Division 2 championship. If able to do so, you'd fear for the following year in Division 1, but that's another days work.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

High Fielder

Great proposals as ever Keyser. Would it be enough to keep players interested though? And guarantee the all important revenue. I personally think intercounty is largely dead. A few hurling games in Munster is not the tide that lifts all boats. We play this thing every year, and for the reasons you outlined, it's getting more uncompetitive. Scrap it and be done. Give every player a chance to be in the big time. Somehow

Keyser Söze

Nothing in the least bit new in what I said (others have suggested it a thousand times). Would have always wanted to preserve the provincials, but sure there really is no point.
The biggest stumbling block could be those with ambitions to scale the heights of the provincial councils at admin level. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
And like the resistance to merging from the Camogie & LGFA I'd say it's primarily from those not too far away from the top in the succession game.
If you had worked diligently for 20 years scaling the heights and were within touching distance of Leinster chairmanship would you support a major downgrading in the role, importance & profile of the Leinster Council? Ultimately that's the kind of thing that decides what changes happen in the GAA (and other organizations!)
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

High Fielder

You're probably right there. Wouldn't be for me so. I'd be the sort that would always want more for Laois than myself.