Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 14, 2015, 11:52:01 AM
It is time the GAA and all of us who support it accept that there are 2 products each in Football and Hurling, Club and County. 8000+ at a McKenna cup game! There is a demand for county product which is greater than for the club, the county game is also more attractive to punters and TV alike. Reducing or compacting the county season will reduce revenues so is not going to happen. The future is a Rugby type situation where players recruited in to County Squads are no longer available to clubs except perhaps for Championship but even then ??? I know clubs won't like this but it is the way in other sports and GAA has gone far beyond those halcyon days when men were men and the majority of counties average 2 games a season. If this is not embraced then the GAA and ultimately all of us at club level will be the losers. Over use of players is nothing new Clubs were doing it long before the county got involved. In my day there were a couple of starlets playing U16, Minor, U21 Senior and B football. That has changed significantly if not completely eradicated. Any player worth his salt would aspire to County. I have seen my fair share of Countymen on Intermediate and Junior teams going through the motions in Division 2 and 3 league games... Just a thought, before I get lit on by the Club stalwarts on here...

I don't say this lightly but you clearly have no idea what the GAA is all about!
Of course the county game is the icing on the cake, the profile, the lauded.. but what foundations is the county game based on? It sits on solid foundations ie: The clubs. Its the clubs that supply the players, the refs, the stewards, the coaches and the managers. Rugby works as it has an international dimension which can sustain the game and support the club/provincial structures. The GAA principles are based on community upwards - not the other way around!

rrhf

I think you detach the club and county player and you will also see a huge detachment between club and county fan.  In many cases pride in the club player who has made the county team is the draw to the game.  Its probably why you get flasely inflated crowds so early in the season because guys are being tried out anf their club men are there to cheer them on.  I also appreciate there are clubless county fans as well. 
Cream the county player off and I would bet crowds will drop throughout the year by my guess 50%. 

mackers

It is time the GAA and all of us who support it accept that there are 2 products each in Football and Hurling, Club and County. 8000+ at a McKenna cup game! There is a demand for county product which is greater than for the club, the county game is also more attractive to punters and TV alike. Reducing or compacting the county season will reduce revenues so is not going to happen. The future is a Rugby type situation where players recruited in to County Squads are no longer available to clubs except perhaps for Championship but even then ??? I know clubs won't like this but it is the way in other sports and GAA has gone far beyond those halcyon days when men were men and the majority of counties average 2 games a season. If this is not embraced then the GAA and ultimately all of us at club level will be the losers. Over use of players is nothing new Clubs were doing it long before the county got involved. In my day there were a couple of starlets playing U16, Minor, U21 Senior and B football. That has changed significantly if not completely eradicated. Any player worth his salt would aspire to County. I have seen my fair share of Countymen on Intermediate and Junior teams going through the motions in Division 2 and 3 league games... Just a thought, before I get lit on by the Club stalwarts on here... 
I'd say the majority of county players would also think that this is a ridiculous statement too.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: rrhf on January 14, 2015, 01:27:48 PM
I think you detach the club and county player and you will also see a huge detachment between club and county fan.  In many cases pride in the club player who has made the county team is the draw to the game.  Its probably why you get flasely inflated crowds so early in the season because guys are being tried out anf their club men are there to cheer them on.  I also appreciate there are clubless county fans as well. 
Cream the county player off and I would bet crowds will drop throughout the year by my guess 50%.
Exactly,alot of the county loyalty stems from the club first and to separate the two would reduce the interest in the county game as well.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Applesisapples

Quote from: theskull1 on January 14, 2015, 12:42:58 PM
The future is a Rugby type situation where players recruited in to County Squads are no longer available to clubs except perhaps for Championship but even then ???   

Sounds like the opinion of someone who's no clue about how the GAA works at its roots

Do you think coaches in clubs who have a pride in their parish will be happy enough to coach youngsters and develop talent as best they can just so they can lose them to such a system?

I for one wouldn't be doing it.
Firstly I have worked all my life at no cost in those self same roots. I put forward those thoughts as a wider perspective on the issue of player management and how I believe it could be addressed in line with most other sports in the world. I didn't expect people to be happy or to agree with my opinion and if you have alternatives that satisfy TV sponsors etc... lets hear them. Oh and don't judge where people may be from or their lack of understanding or otherwise of the GAA on the basis of your own narrow view.

Applesisapples

Fcuk me does nobody read and analyze posts before attacking posters? This was an opinion for discussion, hence the question mark where I referred to a County players involvement with the club. We have to get real here. Sponsors TV etc need product. If the GAA doesn't supply it then someone else will. I agree with 90% of what Joe Brolly is saying regarding the pressures on players. If I'm wrong how would you square the circle of commerce, club and county?

macdanger2

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 14, 2015, 04:28:34 PM
Fcuk me does nobody read and analyze posts before attacking posters? This was an opinion for discussion, hence the question mark where I referred to a County players involvement with the club. We have to get real here. Sponsors TV etc need product. If the GAA doesn't supply it then someone else will. I agree with 90% of what Joe Brolly is saying regarding the pressures on players. If I'm wrong how would you square the circle of commerce, club and county?

I agree with you that that is what the TV stations would prefer but I don't think that's what would be best for the GAA. Making money shouldn't be the goal (although at times it looks like it's going that way)

In all the chat from brolly and others, the main point for me is being missed - the lack of a definite calendar for the club (and by extension, county) season

Bazil Douglas

Applesisapples
How would you propose we finance this semi or fully professional setup.

manfromdelmonte

There are barely 60 rugby clubs in the country

It is not a good comparison

Applesisapples

Quote from: Bazil Douglas on January 14, 2015, 08:20:35 PM
Where did I say it was professional? I was simply addressing the issue of players having too many demands put on them, it was some thoughts not a set in stone ideology, but there are competing pressures here.

Applesisapples
How would you propose we finance this semi or fully professional setup.

Moortown Spuds

Scrap the county. I only want to go to Dublin if there's a Garth Brooks concert on.

AZOffaly

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 14, 2015, 08:22:46 PM
There are barely 60 rugby clubs in the country

It is not a good comparison

60 Rugby Clubs? Not sure about that. Unless you mean 60 rugby clubs in the AIL.

rrhf

Unfortunately for the lad he might get hit twice as hard, twice as late this week. 

AZOffaly

Quote from: rrhf on January 15, 2015, 04:53:37 PM
Unfortunately for the lad he might get hit twice as hard, twice as late this week.

It also means the 'suspect' is now confirmed :D But surely this is not happening?