Belfast

Started by Dougal Maguire, November 25, 2018, 12:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Sphinx was great also. I worked in Benedicts for a few years and we always grabbed something from Spudz after work.

Bishops was ok, Julies Armpit was to be avoided at all costs. The KamWah was mighty. Sign of a good night.

Turns out that kinda dietary carelessness catches up with you and before you know it you're jiggling on the bus on the way home.

Therealdonald

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 26, 2018, 04:14:40 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 26, 2018, 01:54:17 PM
Is Julie's Kitchen or as we knew it Julie's Armpit still on the go? The Stinx (Sphinx) in Stranmillis was another place we frequented in our later years.

Sphinx going from strength to strength. Won NI kebab of the year recently. Biggest dort place about was the emerald. Got a few of them delivered to Palestine st in my day.

That's no lie there. Theres a chippy a few doors down from the Rose. Think its in line with Agincourt. Was always fond of their sausage supper special. The grease alone kept you fed for a week, till you got up the road for Mummys spuds

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 25, 2018, 05:21:20 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 25, 2018, 12:34:46 AM
Staying in this God Forsaken kip tonight. Wife and I have walked for over an hour, not a chip shop to be found. What sort of hole is this place

Is there nothing else you two could  be at after a night in Belfast rather than looking for a chippy..?

Nudge wink, Nudge Wink! Say no more, Say no more ,, ;D
Jesus man, I'm in my late 50s and had had a skinfull!!😂😂😂
Careful now

RedHand88

Quote from: WeeDonns on November 26, 2018, 04:49:16 PM
Kam wah! Now that's a blast from he past! Always preferred it over Temps across the road
Ate way too many Emerald Specials during my time up there

Belfast City council's "Scores on the Doors" came out when we were in final year; everywhere we ate regularly had zero

Know alot of boys about the holylands back in the day who read big into the scores on the doors, would be quite snobbish with it and their own kitchens were riddled with mould.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 26, 2018, 05:45:38 PM
Is Julie's Kitchen or as we knew it Julie's Armpit still on the go? The Stinx (Sphinx) in Stranmillis was another place we frequented in our later years.

Sphinx going from strength to strength. Won NI kebab of the year recently. Biggest dort place about was the emerald. Got a few of them delivered to Palestine st in my day.

That's no lie there. Theres a chippy a few doors down from the Rose. Think its in line with Agincourt. Was always fond of their sausage supper special. The grease alone kept you fed for a week, till you got up the road for Mummys spuds
Casa nostra??
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 26, 2018, 05:36:50 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 26, 2018, 04:06:14 PM
Yeah the sphinx gets rave reviews though not a massive fan myself. Hungry hound still going strong I think though I haven't been to it in years.

When my eldest was refusing to be born and I was stuck in the RVH all day I was starving. I asked the wee nurse for some toast but none was available. There was nothing for it other than to head over to Sphinx and get One on Chip!  Finished bit of food I ever had😂
A Donegal mate living London always makes a pilgrimage for a kebab on wan every time he's home. Hoor must have been there every year since about 1995.

Therealdonald

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 26, 2018, 08:22:19 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on November 26, 2018, 05:45:38 PM

Casa nostra??
Together - the finest traditional chippy/chinese restaurant in the land. Always heard great stories about Renshaws. Must've been a great place

markl121

Do I mind right that there was a Harry Ramsdens on botanic? Where the chip company is now? Jaysus must be 8 or 9 years ago. Was always a fan of the one at yorkgate but have memories of the one on botanic being awful.

trailer

Renshaw's was mental. Session permanently on in it. Any day. Any time. Always happy hour.
Always loads of birds. Not the sort you'd introduce to your Mammy but grand for an old curt and a fumble.
Good times.

RedHand88

Quote from: markl121 on November 26, 2018, 09:26:34 PM
Do I mind right that there was a Harry Ramsdens on botanic? Where the chip company is now? Jaysus must be 8 or 9 years ago. Was always a fan of the one at yorkgate but have memories of the one on botanic being awful.

You are absolutely right there.

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on November 26, 2018, 09:29:20 PM
Renshaw's was mental. Session permanently on in it. Any day. Any time. Always happy hour.
Always loads of birds. Not the sort you'd introduce to your Mammy but grand for an old curt and a fumble.
Good times.

It was a serious spot. 3 pints for a £5. A simpler time. Anyone remember the night club down the road from it? Behind what i think is a holiday inn? Was it called karma?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 26, 2018, 09:34:25 PM
Good times.

It was a serious spot. 3 pints for a £5. A simpler time. Anyone remember the night club down the road from it? Behind what i think is a holiday inn? Was it called karma?
It was Orpheus in my day.

RedHand88

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 26, 2018, 09:35:31 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 26, 2018, 09:34:25 PM
Good times.

It was Orpheus in my day.

Probably the same place alright, down the alley? It was always a wile carry on. Think your man lost the licence because there was that much ganching going on around it.

Milltown Row2

Renshaws was crap! (IMO)  students running around off their tits on Mad dog 20/20 starting arguments with themselves  :)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Some blasts from the past there

https://www.belfastvibe.com/big-stories/belfast/extended-by-popular-demand-belfasts-list-of-places-that-are-gone-but-not-forgotten/

1. LEISUREWORLD
2. THE VENUE
3. BOB CRATCHIT'S/STORM
4. SPUD
5. ATHENA
6. BAMBU BEACH CLUB
7. CHICAGO PIZZA PIE FACTORY
8. THE CRESCENT
9. LEGEND
10. VICO'S
11. AMERICAN MADNES
12. VIRGIN MEGASTORE