Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lenny

Quote from: illdecide on January 13, 2015, 12:41:47 PM
Ban him..lol

One of the biggest problems we have is fixture congestion. This was bad a decade or 2 ago but is much worse now. This is partly because of all the new competitions which have been introduced. Here in Ulster we have an Ulster Club minor competition which takes 5 or 6 weeks to run and an Ulster club u21 competition which runs for a similar length. These are prestigious for the clubs involved but clash badly with schools football, university football and county u21. One way to reduce the congestion would be to run these competitions either as a blitz or at least over one weekend like the Sigerson. It would still guve clubs the chance to compete at this level and win an Ulster club competition without dragging on for weeks. Forgot to mention there is also an Ulster club u16 competition which again runs for a few weeks. These are all relatively new.

Wildweasel74

Ha, Managers don't get paid, any outside manager manging a club is getting paid, hell Junior clubs in Derry were paying outside men 15-20yrs ago, so if its at the level, its prevalent at all levels.

big balla

Some lads are in serious denial! At one stage in Cavan 8/9 years ago there were 5/6 outside managers from Fermanagh alone! Cavan Gaels have had Malachy O Rourke and Peter Canavan managing them in the last few years, were they doing it for free?

ck

Quote from: big balla on January 13, 2015, 08:54:14 PM
Some lads are in serious denial! At one stage in Cavan 8/9 years ago there were 5/6 outside managers from Fermanagh alone! Cavan Gaels have had Malachy O Rourke and Peter Canavan managing them in the last few years, were they doing it for free?

My club appointed a paid manager for the first time for season ahead. It was our only option. The players wouldn't accept anything less. Anyone we approached said No they couldn't commit to the time necessary, it's a MASSIVE commitment. The man we appointed took 3 weeks to get agreement from his wife and family. He WOILD have laughed at us had we not discussed expenses from the outset.

People who believe that there are managers out there who are not at least getting basic expenses are beyond naive!

imtommygunn

Quote from: lenny on January 13, 2015, 07:39:47 PM
Quote from: illdecide on January 13, 2015, 12:41:47 PM
Ban him..lol

One of the biggest problems we have is fixture congestion. This was bad a decade or 2 ago but is much worse now. This is partly because of all the new competitions which have been introduced. Here in Ulster we have an Ulster Club minor competition which takes 5 or 6 weeks to run and an Ulster club u21 competition which runs for a similar length. These are prestigious for the clubs involved but clash badly with schools football, university football and county u21. One way to reduce the congestion would be to run these competitions either as a blitz or at least over one weekend like the Sigerson. It would still guve clubs the chance to compete at this level and win an Ulster club competition without dragging on for weeks. Forgot to mention there is also an Ulster club u16 competition which again runs for a few weeks. These are all relatively new.

Ulster minor club is going not that far of 30 years now.

LCohen

Quote from: ONeill on January 13, 2015, 12:14:19 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on January 12, 2015, 11:04:37 PM
Quote from: ck on January 12, 2015, 09:28:52 PM
Some people go out of their way to be offended by Brolly. The reality is that he speaks the truth. Truth is that most self serving GAA board officials, managers and players are happy with staus quo. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas!

I heard Brolly on radio yesterday with Niall Moyna. Moyna came across as a pompous so and so. "I deal in facts" my arse. You deal in scholarships and paying Young lads to come to your college Mr.Moyna.

Brolly genuinely is concerned were the GAA is going. Moyna is genuinely concerned about DCU pulling in more big name players on scholarships.

I only heard a bit of that yesterday but was john Galvin not saying that Brolly was over-playing the amount of pressurethat's on players? I only heard part of it though...
Exactly. I was talking to a Slaughtneil man last week and he was talking about the amount of training sessions their dual players were having - and he said they loved it (as in it's the best thing they could be at).

I don't hear many players complaining about training. Most of the complaining is from the retired.

One of Joe's points was last year's All-Ireland final in terms of the state of the game. Does he remember the semis? Can he recall the litany of dour 'big games' in the 80s and 90s. The difference was we never complained - we were happy to see a game involving the best players representing your county.

Now we have a multitude of games on TV, all with their own analysts critiquing every move (Joe Brolly in 2005 criticised a Dublin defender with the line 'He has no place being on a county team'). We now have analysts telling us that the standard of games aren't good enough for the viewing public.

Joe Brolly is a mouthpiece, knowing the more controversy he can create the more functions he'll be invited to.

No you don't but then you wouldn't expect to. Not when selection is at stake.

LCohen

Another big lie to be unravelled is "player welfare".

One of the modern school of managers was notorious when managing a university side for withholding players from the club including championship games on the basis of "player welfare". I'm reliably informed that when he became a county manager guys were discouraged form playing for their third level colleges in the name of........, yes - player welfare. He is now a county minor manager. I wonder will club and school involvement be curtailied in the name of welfare?

ck

Quote from: LCohen on January 14, 2015, 10:19:49 AM
Another big lie to be unravelled is "player welfare".

One of the modern school of managers was notorious when managing a university side for withholding players from the club including championship games on the basis of "player welfare". I'm reliably informed that when he became a county manager guys were discouraged form playing for their third level colleges in the name of........, yes - player welfare. He is now a county minor manager. I wonder will club and school involvement be curtailied in the name of welfare?

Now we are getting to the heart of all of this. Bottom line, managers are self serving. They only care about the team they manage. They present all sorts of bullsh*t as barriers and excuses why players must commit to them and that team only. Managers are th last people I would listen to when it comes to player welfare. The biggest joke of all is that GAA hierarchy constantly ask managers to communicate where they have players on 2+ teams. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

Until such time as county club seasons are split, grades are reduced and some competitions scraped, we'll get egotistical managers hiding behind terms such as player welfare for their own gain.

Walter Cronc

Applesisapples

It is time the GAA and all of us who support it accept that there are 2 products each in Football and Hurling, Club and County. 8000+ at a McKenna cup game! There is a demand for county product which is greater than for the club, the county game is also more attractive to punters and TV alike. Reducing or compacting the county season will reduce revenues so is not going to happen. The future is a Rugby type situation where players recruited in to County Squads are no longer available to clubs except perhaps for Championship but even then ??? I know clubs won't like this but it is the way in other sports and GAA has gone far beyond those halcyon days when men were men and the majority of counties average 2 games a season. If this is not embraced then the GAA and ultimately all of us at club level will be the losers. Over use of players is nothing new Clubs were doing it long before the county got involved. In my day there were a couple of starlets playing U16, Minor, U21 Senior and B football. That has changed significantly if not completely eradicated. Any player worth his salt would aspire to County. I have seen my fair share of Countymen on Intermediate and Junior teams going through the motions in Division 2 and 3 league games... Just a thought, before I get lit on by the Club stalwarts on here... 

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 14, 2015, 11:52:01 AM
It is time the GAA and all of us who support it accept that there are 2 products each in Football and Hurling, Club and County. 8000+ at a McKenna cup game! There is a demand for county product which is greater than for the club, the county game is also more attractive to punters and TV alike. Reducing or compacting the county season will reduce revenues so is not going to happen. The future is a Rugby type situation where players recruited in to County Squads are no longer available to clubs except perhaps for Championship but even then ??? I know clubs won't like this but it is the way in other sports and GAA has gone far beyond those halcyon days when men were men and the majority of counties average 2 games a season. If this is not embraced then the GAA and ultimately all of us at club level will be the losers. Over use of players is nothing new Clubs were doing it long before the county got involved. In my day there were a couple of starlets playing U16, Minor, U21 Senior and B football. That has changed significantly if not completely eradicated. Any player worth his salt would aspire to County. I have seen my fair share of Countymen on Intermediate and Junior teams going through the motions in Division 2 and 3 league games... Just a thought, before I get lit on by the Club stalwarts on here...

You sure your from Armagh and not Tyrone!!

theskull1

The future is a Rugby type situation where players recruited in to County Squads are no longer available to clubs except perhaps for Championship but even then ???   

Sounds like the opinion of someone who's no clue about how the GAA works at its roots

Do you think coaches in clubs who have a pride in their parish will be happy enough to coach youngsters and develop talent as best they can just so they can lose them to such a system?

I for one wouldn't be doing it.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

muppet

Quote from: theskull1 on January 14, 2015, 12:42:58 PM
The future is a Rugby type situation where players recruited in to County Squads are no longer available to clubs except perhaps for Championship but even then ???   

Sounds like the opinion of someone who's no clue about how the GAA works at its roots

Do you think coaches in clubs who have a pride in their parish will be happy enough to coach youngsters and develop talent as best they can just so they can lose them to such a system?

I for one wouldn't be doing it.

This happens in just about every other sport.
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

The GAA is a different animal, tradition and all that.

Rugby is the most obvious comparison and their transition to the current professional format. Was a lot of talk about the impact on clubs and how they now struggle. Not sure what the finer detail on this is or if its remained the same.

But look at the pronvincal game and its very clear that the initial supporter levels have dropped off. Only last night Leinster where pushing very hard on social media to sell out the game this weekend in the RDS, tickets still widely available. Its very easy to be come detached from been part of a bigger body that a local one. Bandwagon, entertainment value, event junkies etc.

Also on any given day with a round of club fixtures on in my own county, I know you'll get as many attending those matches as you'd get in total is the county was playing bar a big championship match. The reality is that the championship in GAA attracts the crowds in the later stages but dilute the importance of these matches with more or irrelevant fixtures and the crowds will stay away until its meaningful. Taking club support out of this and you'll lose more people ie will people go to watch their clubs play or their county?