Dublin club seeking players and lads for training

Started by fearsiuil, January 25, 2009, 04:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearsiuil

Hi all,

We are a junior club in south county Dublin with a very successful underage setup and are about to undergo development of our existing facilities in the near future. Our adult team has suffered from the gap between the underage teams our present players were on and the absence of underage teams for a number of years afterwards. We have the core of a good team but need players to back this up.

Our first training session is on this Wednesday night at 8.0 pm and all are welcome, whether with the aim of joining the club or just to use the facilities to train for your team at home etc. Footballers of all abilities are welcome, lads that have not played in a while or who want to get back and enjoy the craic whilst getting fit in the process too. If you have any queries ask away here, PM me or contact Paul on (086) 815 6018.

Thanks.

Bud Wiser

Best of luck with your new club.  Can I ask is this another Dublin Club that is restricted to football only or are you looking for players to play hurling as well?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

fearsiuil

Thanks Bud, we are an amalgamation from years ago of a few local clubs, hurling and football were played in the day but the hurling unfortunately is no longer played. Our football side was heading the same way up till some dedicated lads got together and started up the underage setup again. This has been a massive success, playing in 'A' level we have beat neighbouring nationally recognised clubs who would be fielding a few teams at each age group. This is the future for us and all clubs really, starting with the youth, it's a great lift for the whole club.

Zulu

Although I'm a confirmed supporter of dual code clubs I think new clubs are better off concentrating on one code only, especially in Dublin. The population in Dublin is large enough to accommodate a separate football and hurling club in the one area, any dual player can play for both clubs but if choices need to be made it will be up to those dual players individually rather than behind the scenes conflict between the football and hurling sides of the one club.

fearsiuil

That's all good and well lads but the fact is that we are an old club and with all the work being done behind the scenes  a bright future is ahead of us as well. It is a pity that hurling isn't being played anymore in the club but from what I gather it was mainly country lads that kept it going for years and that few locals participated. The neighbouring large clubs field very successful hurling teams at underage and senior. It can be difficult enough to carve into the bigger clubs areas as they are very reluctant to give up any ground, even when you consider that vast areas around here that have little or no clubs serving them.

Bud Wiser

That's fair enough and I understand what you are trying to achieve. However, it is becoming more and more usual that when someone mentions a GAA club now, or GAA in general that we are talking exclusively about football.  Even look at this board, you do not have "Football Discussion" and "Hurling Discussion" but instead, "GAA Discusssion" and "hurling discussion" as if football was the GAA and hurling was/is the poor relation.

What is the name of your club?  Have ye got pitch/club house and all that set up? I can understand if you do not want to say on the board but 'southside' could be in Killiney to Lucan.   Not by any chance Erins Hope that is up beside Johnny Fox's pub !!!!!
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

fearsiuil

I'm from a football county in as much as that can be true, there are a 7/8 hurling clubs in Mayo and great work is being done to promote the game but it is not being supported and encouraged as it should be. Look back to the disgraceful situation a few years ago when the Mayo senior hurlers were making the step up to the next level and the county board stymied this progress by making a huge issue with them training TOO often, purely based on them spending too much money and over stepping their station. My home club do not play the small ball game.

I'm up here in the big smoke for close on 20 years and I've never seen as many young lads going to school with hurls and helmets as in the last few years. Sure there can be much more done, but equally a lot more can be done to promote football in areas where the GAA has little to no impact. Our little club if nurtured has great potential to blossom, it's great to see the young lads playing up in the field where 7/8 years ago no underage teams togged out. When these lads are old enough to play adult football it will help to secure the future of the club and bring it on to the next stage. Another encouraging thing is that there is an interest locally that has to be tapped into.

Bud Wiser, I've sent you a PM with club details.

fearsiuil

Bump up the volume...

Great opportunity to all you lads to shed some weight and have a bit of craic in the process.

fearsiuil

Training to commence Tuesday 18/1/2011

We are a junior club celebrating our 125th anniversary this year and are hoping to celebrate it in style ! We will be training once weeky and are hoping to add to our current squad to add depth and introduce freshness to the set-up. Also by having a few non-club players train with us we hope to add to the training experience.
We have a ball based approach to our training night with players turning up at 7.45, training from 8-9 and out by 9.15.

Feel free to ask questions here or by PM

fearsiuil

Good turnouts so far for training, need more lads as games will be coming thick and fast from now on. Any lads interested are most welcome to come along !

fearsiuil

That time of the year again, any lads interested in playing junior football next year in south Co. Dublin are more than welcome to come along and join us or to train with us. We are starting back at the end of January.

We are a small one adult team club who won our first championship in over 50 years in 2011 and fell a bit short on promotion in the league after starting the year poorly. Any questions you may have feel free to ask here or by PM.

Thanks.

Also we are having a Sports Table Quiz this Thursday the 8th in the Magic Carpet, Cornelscourt. A good night guaranteed. See here for info. http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=20733.0

fearsiuil

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 25, 2009, 05:53:58 PM
Best of luck with your new club.  Can I ask is this another Dublin Club that is restricted to football only or are you looking for players to play hurling as well?

The club started u-8s training this year, was great to see the young lads training across from us on Thursday nights.

Jimmy14

Where do you guys train?

Have a cousin coming up from Kerry in the coming weeks looking for a base South Side?

fearsiuil

Quote from: Jimmy14 on December 07, 2011, 05:15:55 PM
Where do you guys train?

Have a cousin coming up from Kerry in the coming weeks looking for a base South Side?
We normally train on our pitch next door to Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt, will be training at a venue yet to be decided locally for first month or so of year, an all weather facility has been delayed due to construction issues.
We have another Kerry lad on board so he'll be in good company.

fearsiuil

Training starting this Monday the 9th of January, anyone interested can PM me here or post comments etc. Join the county champions in our quest for promotion. Good mix of local and country guys in a friendly atmosphere.