Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatpoint

What are all of these slanderous rumours supposedly doing the rounds about Jim Gavin?

Angelo

Quote from: greatpoint on January 17, 2020, 11:30:48 PM
What are all of these slanderous rumours supposedly doing the rounds about Jim Gavin?

I wouldn't say there is much to them.

If there is, it might be another reddener for screenexile though.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

J70

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 17, 2020, 08:50:39 PM
Joe will be really p!ssed off that the thread has moved away from him. Could we all just refocus.

I enjoyed his OTB interview.

The four month intercounty season was an interesting proposal, although as he conceded, one with zero chance of being implemented.

greatpoint

Quote from: Angelo on January 18, 2020, 10:56:18 AM
Quote from: greatpoint on January 17, 2020, 11:30:48 PM

I wouldn't say there is much to them.

If there is, it might be another reddener for screenexile though.

I'd say you're right. Fairly tenuous it seems.

pbat

I see twitter in uproar over Colm O Rourke's pansy boy comment last night. Wonder how RTE will react to this. David Gough outraged. Will Colm see the axe, if it was Joe the fake outrage would be unreal.

five points

Quote from: pbat on February 03, 2020, 02:31:40 PM
I see twitter in uproar over Colm O Rourke's pansy boy comment last night. Wonder how RTE will react to this. David Gough outraged. Will Colm see the axe, if it was Joe the fake outrage would be unreal.

Gough tagged RTE Head of Sport into his tweet accusing O'Rourke of homophobia. The only possible inference is that he's trying to get Colm sacked. I can't see this playing out well in Meath.

Taylor

Quote from: pbat on February 03, 2020, 02:31:40 PM

Not that I would like to see it but if Colm doesnt get the road serious questions have to be asked at RTE.

While it is an old school/ignorant/disgraceful comment (delete as applicable) in this day an age its hard to see how he gets away from it.

If the 'outrage' continues his media career as a whole could be in trouble

highorlow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBl-vRWV8QU

O'Rourke is taken out of context. Back in his day there were only frees for such tackle. For once I agreed with Charlie Redmond at the weekend, he said the Jordan Flynn's tackle wasn't a red. The game is going soft as shit.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

BennyCake

I've never linked the word pansy with someone who is gay.

A pansy to me is like a weakling, mummy's boy or a watery wee shite.

Hound

Quote from: highorlow on February 03, 2020, 03:30:06 PM

O'Rourke is taken out of context. Back in his day there were only frees for such tackle. For once I agreed with Charlie Redmond at the weekend, he said the Jordan Flynn's tackle wasn't a red. The game is going soft as shit.
We all know what he meant, but he should be clever enough to know that we can't use that type of phrase.
Very interesting that Gough has called him out, and it's a right mess now for RTE. I don't think they've much choice but to fire him.

Another thing though is that O'Rourke's analysis was completely wrong and actually misleading.
These fellas are not throwing themselves on the ground or exaggerating their falls because they are "pansys" or "unmanly" or whatever similar phrase you want to use.
You'll last no time at all at intercounty if you're actually soft.

They're going down because they are trying to con the ref into giving them a free, and if it results in a card to the opponent, then that's a bonus. It's pure cynicism and even cheating in some cases and it should be called out for what it is, without the need to compare said players to women or gay people!

five points

If David Gough really thinks that the term pansy is synonymous with being gay, he's not fit to be an elite referee.

befair

Always liked O'Rourke, but that was vulgar at best, homophobic at worst

five points

Quote from: Hound on February 03, 2020, 03:45:16 PM
Quote from: highorlow on February 03, 2020, 03:30:06 PM

We all know what he meant, but he should be clever enough to know that we can't use that type of phrase.
Very interesting that Gough has called him out, and it's a right mess now for RTE. I don't think they've much choice but to fire him.

Another thing though is that O'Rourke's analysis was completely wrong and actually misleading.
These fellas are not throwing themselves on the ground or exaggerating their falls because they are "pansys" or "unmanly" or whatever similar phrase you want to use.
You'll last no time at all at intercounty if you're actually soft.

They're going down because they are trying to con the ref into giving them a free, and if it results in a card to the opponent, then that's a bonus. It's pure cynicism and even cheating in some cases and it should be called out for what it is, without the need to compare said players to women or gay people!

Now you're comparing pansies to gay people. See where this leads.

five points

Quote from: befair on February 03, 2020, 03:59:34 PM
Always liked O'Rourke, but that was vulgar at best, homophobic at worst

Ditto.

Hound

No we're not.
Feigning ignorance is no defence.