All Ireland Quarter Final;Roscommon v Mayo Sunday July 30th

Started by maigheo, July 23, 2017, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL/MAYO

I was mid Atlantic during the game, i asked the Steward to check the final score for me, when he finslly told me I thought the crew were taking the piss. A nice surprise upon arrival 😊

dclane

Quote from: Rossfan on August 07, 2017, 07:51:59 PM
Jasus lads that was awful from us today.
We were back to our worst NFL stuff and seemed totally physically unable to perform 8 days after a big match unlike the Rhubarbs who upped things in a big way.
Leaving Fintan and Ciaráin off was very strange and while Fitzmaurice wasn't too bad it was baffling springing him from nowhere in such a major game.
Not a time for pointing fingers at individual players but fee emerged with much credit today.
A very disappointing end to a good Summer.
Back to the drawing board.
Oh dear.. back to the drawing board he says..and only yesterday ye were standing on the cusp of greatness.. .

Quote from: Rossfan on August 06, 2017, 11:49:49 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 06, 2017, 06:17:41 PM
Do I sense a nervousness from the land of stolen sheep . Aye I thought so.
When your standing on the cusp of greatness it can generate a few butterflies.
Tomorrow is a day for not taking one backward step. Look them in the eye and lave them floundering on their fat Rhubarb arses.
Even if we don't win just let  us live up to our motto be "NOT ONE STEP BACKWARDS"
Alarm set, flashkeen washed, sandwich material bought, tractor filled with dodgy diesel ...... what can possibly go wrong?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: dclane on August 07, 2017, 09:04:25 PM
We were back to our worst NFL stuff and seemed totally physically unable to perform 8 days after a big match unlike the Rhubarbs who upped things in a big way.
Leaving Fintan and Ciaráin off was very strange and while Fitzmaurice wasn't too bad it was baffling springing him from nowhere in such a major game.
Not a time for pointing fingers at individual players but fee emerged with much credit today.
Oh dear.. back to ths drawing board he says..and only yesterday he were standing on the cusp of greatness.. .

Tomorrow is a day for not taking one backward step. Look them in the eye and lave them floundering on their fat Rhubarb arses.
Even if we don't win just let  us live up to our motto be "NOT ONE STEP BACKWARDS"
Alarm set, flashkeen washed, sandwich material bought, tractor filled with dodgy diesel ...... what can possibly go wrong?
you wonder why some people over the shannon don't want ye to win an AI

just be glad yer lads played very well today and enjoy the win.

larryin89

Haha we dont gaf about who wants us to win an AI . Honestly mayo as a whole are so past sucking up the pity.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

larryin89

Bomber but Tyrone havent beaten Mayo and played them twice since 13.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: larryin89 on August 07, 2017, 09:36:09 PM
Bomber but Tyrone havent beaten Mayo and played them twice since 13.

True but what does that prove?

This Mayo team has been on the road since 2011 and have failed to beat Kerry under Fitzmaurice or Dublin under Gavin on four occasions.

Completely different Tyrone side now to 2013, I think only 8 of the 21 who played that day remain.

Rossfan

Quote from: dclane on August 07, 2017, 09:04:25 PM
Oh dear.. back to the drawing board he says..and only yesterday ye were standing on the cusp of greatness.. .

You'll note I did ask what could possibly go wrong. Well now I know.......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 07, 2017, 05:36:31 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 07, 2017, 05:33:53 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 07, 2017, 05:29:46 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 07, 2017, 05:27:34 PM
Tyrone will have to prove they belong in the conversation the next day out.  Seeing as the best Kerry or Mayo can do against Dublin is a draw, what chances Tyrone and Dublin draw?

In fact, what odds both semifinals go to replays?

The best Mayo have done is a draw.

The best Kerry have done is lose.

And thus far Tyrone have failed to qualify for the latter stages and be part of the discussion.  New territory for Tyrone.  Who knows how they will handle it.

We know Kerry haven't had it against the Dubs.

We know Mayo have had it but shot themselves in the foot.

We don't know whether Tyrone have it or have not.

The known against the unknown.

The only team to topple Dublin under Gavin have been an Ulster side who played a defend in numbers, counter attacking game - similar to Tyrone.

They had Michael Murphy, Mc fadden and Mc Brearty

You have your best inside forwards on the bench.

larryin89

Weve only played kerry once with this team (11 was only infancy) and were beaten after a replay by cormac reilly.  Im not at all sure how to predict our semi but we will give kerry their fill of it im sure, they wont like to see our buck run at them . Higgans looked like a 21 year old out there todsy, solan has them in serious condition . I really thought the zip was gone out of them but its obviously not.

It will be a belter of a battle.

Mayo4Sam

Hard luck Rossies, I know the pain of a tanning like that, '93 was one of our worst days. I can only imagine what it's like when it's your neighbour.

Don't know how anyone could question AOS as MOTM, other than they maybe think Parsons, Harrison or Higgins pipped him. All four were outstanding today
I wouldn't question the stats either, FFS there were lads taking shits that would never dream it near the end there. Likewise if Drake was in that position against Kerry we'd be looking for a goal

Today will give this team a real boost IMO, instead of the limping along we've had all summer we can now create the narrative that Mayo keep their best football for August and September and that the seven games so far will stand to us, especially our fitness
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

bennydorano

After the past two weekends I'm convinced the hidings are as much to do with superior physicality & maturity as much as tactics, when those two things are spot on playing football is a much easier game. Talent and tactics obviously have their part to play.

INDIANA

I think Dublin and Kerry would have scored 7-30 today. Ultimately that's why i don't think Mayo will win the AI.

Don't know where Roscommon go after that. I think the biggest issue was their inability to dig in and at least make it respectable. But the Connacht title means nothing after a tanking like that.

bennydorano

They're very young, they've a big enough future ahead of them if they want it bad enough and they're properly supported by their County board.

INDIANA

Quote from: bennydorano on August 07, 2017, 10:44:29 PM
They're very young, they've a big enough future ahead of them if they want it bad enough and they're properly supported by their County board.

Far too much made of a youth card . Its like using a band aid around a leaking pipe when you're beaten.

They were clueless and didn't dig in either. Not traits I'd associate with future promise.

Cunny Funt

Mayo finally woke out of their summer slumber while Roscommon after giving two good defensive displays against Galway and Mayo were at their defensive worst today.  It was total mismatch hard to believe Roscommon could be the opposite from their competitive performance last week when they flew in challenges like their lives depended on it. Worst of all they threw in the towel as soon as the first goal was scored and had no desire to even win the 2nd half. A young team with a lot to learn and McStay if he stays will need a bit more help on the sideline than McHale and a bit more strength in depth in the panel. Like i mean who starts a player in All Ireland quarter final that has never played a senior game before?

Mayos performance was very similar to the tanking Tyrone and Kerry gave to Dublin in 2008,2009 and both of those sides went on to win the All Ireland those years. Should Mayo dare to dream now?