All Ireland Quarter Final;Roscommon v Mayo Sunday July 30th

Started by maigheo, July 23, 2017, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sans pessimism

Quote from: Syferus on August 08, 2017, 10:26:51 AM
Quote from: sans pessimism on August 08, 2017, 10:23:55 AM
A certain poster on here questioned the quality of Brendan Harrison...........think ya got yer answer yday Syferus.

Why did he need two minders so? Diarmuid was our best player on the day btw so I'm afraid you picked the wrong ocassion to crow. In fact you picked the only matchup yesterday that you couldn't crow about.
Its not crowin oul stock-simply stating FACT
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

PW Nally

Bad day at HQ for Ross, have been in similar situations previously and get no enjoyment seeing Mayo dishing out such a trimming. That being said great to see Mayo throw off the shackles and play with that energy and freedom that has been lacking for so long.

What was story with Ciaran Murtagh and Cregg not starting? Why did it take so long to bring on a leader such as Ian Kilbride?
Will any of last year's panel be likely to return for 2018?

Syferus

Quote from: PW Nally on August 08, 2017, 01:49:06 PM
Bad day at HQ for Ross, have been in similar situations previously and get no enjoyment seeing Mayo dishing out such a trimming. That being said great to see Mayo throw off the shackles and play with that energy and freedom that has been lacking for so long.

What was story with Ciaran Murtagh and Cregg not starting? Why did it take so long to bring on a leader such as Ian Kilbride?

With regards to your questions I haven't a clue nor does anyone. Maybe injuries, maybe not. Maybe they were being punished for scoring goals in the first game. Ian really should have started before Fitzmaurice (first ever appearance for Roscommon at senior), I'd be afraid he might call time as he's 34. I'd take him for another year in a heartbeat. I really don't want to even think about that mess maybe being Seanie's sign off after 167 appearences, it would be far from fitting.

McStay would have been in trouble had this year's championship went like last. Despite the flaking at least we're going to be able to build on this year rather than fight amongst ourselves for the off-season. We've basically got a rookie spine on this team now so there's plenty of room for them to grow.

I'd hope Collins, Cregg and at least some of the Dalys come back next year, but some of it depends on more than things the management can control. I'd pray that the empty feeling in their guts the last few weeks as the lads exceeded all expectations will help that process. I'm sure McStay will ask anyways.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on August 08, 2017, 02:06:54 PM
Quote from: PW Nally on August 08, 2017, 01:49:06 PM

With regards to your questions I haven't a clue nor does anyone. Maybe injuries, maybe not. Maybe they were being punished for scoring goals in the first game. Ian really should have started before Fitzmaurice (first ever appearance for Roscommon at senior), I'd be afraid he might call time as he's 34. I'd take him for another year in a heartbeat. I really don't want to even think about that mess maybe being Seanie's sign off after 167 appearences, it would be far from fitting.

McStay would have been in trouble had this year's championship went like last. Despite the flaking at least we're going to be able to build on this year rather than fight amongst ourselves for the spring. We've basically got a rookie spine on this team now so there's plenty of room for them to grow.

I'd hope Collins, Cregg and at least some of the Dalys come back next year, but some of it depends on more than things the management can control. I'd pray that the empty feeling in their guts the last few weeks as the lads exceeded all expectations will help that process. I'm sure McStay will ask anyways.

A week or two even a month will see a different perspective. Back to the drawing board and once again a push to win Division two should be the main focus. FBD is a rubbish competition and should only be for young emerging lads and good club lads who'd like to play for their county and fill the void so that first team players can rest, recuperate and be mentally ready for the League and Championship. The Connacht Championship draw will have a bearing on how Roscommon prepare next year. This years draw was made in heaven for them. If they meet Mayo, they'd be hoping to meet them as early as possible, when they are the most vulnerable!

For the Rossies it's been a good season, not a great Season!

thefont

Yeah a good season for Ross and solid proof that their young players are indeed very promising.

Conflicting emotions as other Mayo supporters have said here, on the one hand relieved to see us showing some form on the other hand not nice to see our neighbours season end so badly, especially with two Mayomen in charge.

People saying a one point loss last week would have been better for Ross but I disagree. Talented Mayo teams have taken similar beatings on the national stage and in part I'm sure it's made us what we are today.

Ross need to stick with McStay and be patient in general. One thing I'm sure they will work on is dealing better with disaster scenarios like the start they got on Monday. I still think you are a good team worthy of respect (and will get it if we meet next year in Connacht) but the heads did go down yesterday. Compare to how we dealt with the two own goals in last years AIF, only time can bring that big game mentality.

For us Kerry and Dublin should hold no fear though we will of course be written off. Tough task to beat the two of them but we're capable of it.

Rossfan

Next year Cathal Cregg will be 31, Keenan 30, Donie Shine, Collins and Kevin Higgins will be 29.
Having had a year of  normal life would any of them be prepared to go back to putting their lives on hold again to spend most of the season sitting on the bench?
The 3 Dalys will be 27, 24? and 22 and have to be spoken to. Cathal Shine will be 27 and if he can at all resolve his fitness issues should be asked back too.
Kilbride and Seànie may well be for retirement while it's hard to see Tom Featherstone or Brian Murtagh hanging around much longer.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tubberman

Quote from: thefont on August 08, 2017, 03:33:39 PM
Yeah a good season for Ross and solid proof that their young players are indeed very promising.

Conflicting emotions as other Mayo supporters have said here, on the one hand relieved to see us showing some form on the other hand not nice to see our neighbours season end so badly, especially with two Mayomen in charge.

People saying a one point loss last week would have been better for Ross but I disagree. Talented Mayo teams have taken similar beatings on the national stage and in part I'm sure it's made us what we are today.

Ross need to stick with McStay and be patient in general. One thing I'm sure they will work on is dealing better with disaster scenarios like the start they got on Monday. I still think you are a good team worthy of respect (and will get it if we meet next year in Connacht) but the heads did go down yesterday. Compare to how we dealt with the two own goals in last years AIF, only time can bring that big game mentality.

For us Kerry and Dublin should hold no fear though we will of course be written off. Tough task to beat the two of them but we're capable of it.

And you're writing off Tyrone I see ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Ballaghman

Quote from: Rossfan on August 08, 2017, 09:20:51 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 08, 2017, 07:29:37 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2017, 02:25:28 PM
Can't wait.
We started yet off on the road in the 2011 CF so would be nice if we ended ye're team next Sunday.
One part of me fears we had ONE BIG GAME in us and 9 months to hone in on it.
Hope we avoid a tanking anyway and that our young ladeens run the legs if the oul worn out Rhubarbs.
So ye did have one big game in ye
And 12 glorious minutes in Croke Park too.
After that it was Mayowestros 5-30 MostofRos 0-16.
Sobering reality as a big boy cut loose on us in the big boys'  playground.
Still can't understand what management was at dropping Fintan and Ciaráin and giving a man his first senior game in an AI QF.
A man who was spirited into the panel only a few weeks beforehand.
We had a great day in Salthill and are Connacht Champions but certainly aren't the best team in Connacht.

Hope the Rhubarbs can keep this new found level up till 5 o'clock on 17th September or it will be like our CF win.
Until you lose the inferiority complex and stop using language like mayowestros, herring chokers, wind tunnel, rhubarbs etc you're never fully going to move on and focus on your own county. I know some of it is said in jest and as a bit of a wind up but it speaks volumes for your state of mind.
Mayo and Galway fans don't use that language. Yes Ballagh Mayo's are annoyed that our town was moved out of our county but we get on with it and refer to ye as Ros or Rossies. No big deal there, we're secure enough in ourselves and worry about bigger things like winning that elusive prize I suppose.
For yours and your county men's sake it would be better if you just focus on yourselves and try not to big up your two bigger neighbours further by giving them new titles. Nicknames is one thing, we do it ourselves but never, ever referring to a county by its correct name just reinforces the belief that we're on your minds an unhealthy amount. Look I know you'll keep doing it but it's sad to watch my neighbours feel they have to do this.
On a football note, hard luck yesterday, it was actually cruel to watch by the finish. We were very good, Ros never got to the pitch of it. Any further analysis is pointless. Kerry will bring an intensity we haven't faced yet this year. It will be a different sport in less than two weeks time.

Syferus

Quote from: Ballaghman on August 08, 2017, 03:49:46 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 08, 2017, 09:20:51 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 08, 2017, 07:29:37 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2017, 02:25:28 PM
Can't wait.
We started yet off on the road in the 2011 CF so would be nice if we ended ye're team next Sunday.
One part of me fears we had ONE BIG GAME in us and 9 months to hone in on it.
Hope we avoid a tanking anyway and that our young ladeens run the legs if the oul worn out Rhubarbs.
So ye did have one big game in ye
And 12 glorious minutes in Croke Park too.
After that it was Mayowestros 5-30 MostofRos 0-16.
Sobering reality as a big boy cut loose on us in the big boys'  playground.
Still can't understand what management was at dropping Fintan and Ciaráin and giving a man his first senior game in an AI QF.
A man who was spirited into the panel only a few weeks beforehand.
We had a great day in Salthill and are Connacht Champions but certainly aren't the best team in Connacht.

Hope the Rhubarbs can keep this new found level up till 5 o'clock on 17th September or it will be like our CF win.
Until you lose the inferiority complex and stop using language like mayowestros, herring chokers, wind tunnel, rhubarbs etc you're never fully going to move on and focus on your own county. I know some of it is said in jest and as a bit of a wind up but it speaks volumes for your state of mind.
Mayo and Galway fans don't use that language. Yes Ballagh Mayo's are annoyed that our town was moved out of our county but we get on with it and refer to ye as Ros or Rossies. No big deal there, we're secure enough in ourselves and worry about bigger things like winning that elusive prize I suppose.
For yours and your county men's sake it would be better if you just focus on yourselves and try not to big up your two bigger neighbours further by giving them new titles. Nicknames is one thing, we do it ourselves but never, ever referring to a county by its correct name just reinforces the belief that we're on your minds an unhealthy amount. Look I know you'll keep doing it but it's sad to watch my neighbours feel they have to do this.
On a football note, hard luck yesterday, it was actually cruel to watch by the finish. We were very good, Ros never got to the pitch of it. Any further analysis is pointless. Kerry will bring an intensity we haven't faced yet this year. It will be a different sport in less than two weeks time.

Says the Roscommon man.

Sin é.

Rossfan

That Roscommon man has it bad.
Imagine a football team not being able to win the All Ireland because I use nicknames on an Internet forum!!
I will continue to use the geographically correct term for the area covered by the Mayo GAA board and the team they pick and fail to see how that could impact on the Roscommon (minus-Ballagh) team.
Ballagh was moved to Ros long before you were born.
Thank God for lads like "weareros" and Ballagh Rossie and all those from that town who support the County they come from.
Sin é.

mrhardyannual

While I was confident of a mayo victory I can't say that I expected it to be that emphatic. McStay called it right when he said that his young team was "jumped on" by a more physical and experienced side. I always felt that Mayo's problem this season was a lack of focus and though we saw glimpses of it at times it didn't come right until yesterday. The propensity to lose that focus is always there and this was evident from the nonsense we engaged in at the time Cillian took the backward 45 instead of kicking towards goal. A couple of loose efforts followed. I was glad when half time came as it gave management a chance to sharpen the focus again.
As for Ros they have reached a place which we have seen  a couple of times. McStay suggested that a winter of S&C would bring them on greatly and that the experience would stand to them. Interestingly, listening to John Evans on the radio on the way home was the question of whither some of the players have the frame required for the bulking up. Syferus suggests that the Daly's need talking to and I would agree. Ros can't afford to be without these and other stronger, experienced players if they are to win promotion and progress. Losing heavily takes it's toll too and despite the Conn Final win I would still say that Galway are ahead in the building process.
Lastly, Ros supporters, like our own, stuck by their team to the finish and no-one should underestimate what that can mean to players in the dark days.

Ballaghman

Quote from: Rossfan on August 08, 2017, 04:26:23 PM
Imagine a football team not being able to win the All Ireland because I use nicknames on an Internet forum!!
I will continue to use the geographically correct term for the area covered by the Mayo GAA board and the team they pick and fail to see how that could impact on the Roscommon (minus-Ballagh) team.
Thank God for lads like "weareros" and Ballagh Rossie and all those from that town who support the County they come from.
Sin é.
Inferiority complex in a nutshell! Thank God I'm a Mayo man!

thefont

And you're writing off Tyrone I see ;)

Whoops sorry Tyrone :) I actually think they have a good shout against the Dubs, should be a tight game.

Rossfan

Quote from: Ballaghman on August 08, 2017, 05:40:25 PM
Sin é.
Il! Thank God I'm a Mayo man!
What part if Mayo are you from?

Ballaghman

Quote from: Rossfan on August 08, 2017, 06:36:02 PM
Quote from: Ballaghman on August 08, 2017, 05:40:25 PM
Sin é.
Il! Thank God I'm a Mayo man!
What part if Mayo are you from?
Ballagh, the clue is in the name. Just like my Tyrone and Armagh brethren are Irish, we know who and what we really are. British land re-zoning doesn't change that.
Anyway, best of luck to you, see you in the FBD next year.