Frank in Tyrone
Jigger in Roscommon
Jinking Joe in Mayo
Man with the hat in Meath

ardtole

Quote from: weareros on March 21, 2020, 10:39:38 PM
Since it's cult hero, in my own county would be Jigger O'Connor
Outside - Gaelic: Paidi  Hurling: Sylvie
And when you can use one name to summon them up, they've achieve cult status.

In down just mention Benny, and everyone knows who you mean. Carried Down on his own fir a long time, no matter who you were playing we thought we had a chance if we could get it into Benny Coulter. Class act.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Estimator on March 22, 2020, 12:17:34 AM
For me the cult hero's aren't the lads who were the teams the best player, or regularly voted the best in the county, or the fellas who had long successful careers, or the popular players.

It's those fellas who were talented, a bit wild, and on any given day could do a bit of damage on the pitch, but who maybe weren't reliable or not as commited as you would want them to be. Enjoyed themselves on and off the pitch. The likes of Geoffrey McGonigle would be my example of a Cult Hero in Derry.

Sambo in Antrim.

Noel O'Leary. Or. Maybe or maybe not lol.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 22, 2020, 10:03:58 AM
Quote from: Estimator on March 22, 2020, 12:17:34 AM
For me the cult hero's aren't the lads who were the teams the best player, or regularly voted the best in the county, or the fellas who had long successful careers, or the popular players.

It's those fellas who were talented, a bit wild, and on any given day could do a bit of damage on the pitch, but who maybe weren't reliable or not as commited as you would want them to be. Enjoyed themselves on and off the pitch. The likes of Geoffrey McGonigle would be my example of a Cult Hero in Derry.

Sambo in Antrim.

Noel O'Leary. Or. Maybe or maybe not lol.

The Galway team of the 80's had plenty hearts to look up to, Brendan Lynskey Ger McInerery being the main two.. football wise Jack O'Shea, and more modern Tohill

From within my own county we'd  Olcan Clute McFetridge or just Clute and being of an age when you actually got to try and mark him in games was a joy!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

whitey

larryin89

Quote from: whitey on March 22, 2020, 11:43:03 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 22, 2020, 11:41:13 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on March 22, 2020, 01:26:03 AM
Pádraig Brogan, unfulfilled genius

So true .

At his prime he was as good as David Clifford

I was still under 10 in 85/86/87/88 , I remember that 0-8 to 0-7 loss to Galway in 87 very well for some reason and brogans scoring  a lot in 85/86/87 , I also remember asking the aul fella where is padraig brogan when we played Meath in 88 and him telling me about the curse of drink . I was a very disappointed Gasun that day . 

If I'm honest I can't really remember his comeback then in the 90s (he played v cork in that hammering ) what year did he play for Donegal ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

bannside

Be hard to top that....What a player!

whitey

Quote from: larryin89 on March 22, 2020, 12:17:01 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 22, 2020, 11:43:03 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 22, 2020, 11:41:13 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on March 22, 2020, 01:26:03 AM
Pádraig Brogan, unfulfilled genius

So true .

At his prime he was as good as David Clifford

I was still under 10 in 85/86/87/88 , I remember that 0-8 to 0-7 loss to Galway in 87 very well for some reason and brogans scoring  a lot in 85/86/87 , I also remember asking the aul fella where is padraig brogan when we played Meath in 88 and him telling me about the curse of drink . I was a very disappointed Gasun that day . 

If I'm honest I can't really remember his comeback then in the 90s (he played v cork in that hammering ) what year did he play for Donegal ?

Think he played for Donegal in 91, and then played for Mayo against Donegal in the 92 AISF

I remember being at a Mayo/Galway U21 match in Claremorris in the early 80s and Brogan got red carded. Straight up to the bar in the club house drinking pints before the game was even over

Found it in Willie Joes archive-1984

UNDER 21 FOOTBALL RESULTS
Connacht Championship
SEMI-FINAL: Mayo 2-8 0-3 Sligo (James Stephens Park, Ballina, 22/4/1984). MAYO: G Irwin; C Dever, J Reidy, E Gibbons (0-1); J McNabb, N Loftus, J Finn; K Reilly (0-2), S Maher; A McGarry, P Brogan (0-1), N Durcan (1-0); B Kilkelly (1-3), T Pidgeon, P Reilly. Subs: P Duffy (0-1) for Brogan, T Morgan for K Reilly, J Gavin for Pidgeon.

FINAL: Mayo 2-7 Galway 2-4 (Claremorris, 10/6/1984). MAYO: G Irwin; C Dever, J Gilmore, E Gibbons; A McGarry (0-1), J McNabb, J Finn; K Reilly, S Maher; J Dooley (0-1), P Brogan, N Durcan (1-2); B Kilkelly (0-2), T Morgan (1-0), P Duffy (0-1). Subs: P Reilly for K Reilly, P Corcoran for Durcan.

illdecide

Armagh would be Jimmy Smyth, Com McKinstry & Jim McKerr. Jimmy and Colm would have been quite modest but Jim (Tidsy) McKerr would remind you of how good he was...lol.

Was looking up some players i remembered from when i was a kid and didn't realise that Shea Fahy was actually a Kildare man as him and Larry Tompkins were two men i always remember standing out for Cork in the 80's & 90's
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

LooseCannon

Ethan Tremblay

Ciaran McDonald for me.  Socks up, long hair, not pretentious, always played with flair. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Ball Hopper

Jack O'Shea...never took a day off.