Broadband

Started by Arthur_Friend, October 07, 2013, 04:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 20, 2020, 12:01:14 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 18, 2020, 06:05:46 PM
That map looks suspiciously like a map of the Potestant proportion of the population, which is no doubt what Dodds would prefer.
However, the main partners in the this venture are Taigs.
Rumbled. It's a distribution by religion map from Wiki.

Must try harder. You should have used the Covid map!

However, the broadband thing is a bit unclear
https://www.economy-ni.gov.uk/consultations/extending-broadband-across-northern-ireland-project-stratum

the list of postcodes includes one at the Forestside shopping centre in Belfast.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tintin25

Anyone moved to Sky broadband from BT mid contract?  Currently have rolling Sky contract for basic tv and took a 18/24 month contract with BT for the broadband about a year ago I think.  Wanted to incorporate the broadband into the sky ages ago but for some reason the network was only accessible to BT when I bought my house.  Sky saying they can take ownership of the broadband but conscious how it works with cancelling the BT?  Assume there would be cancellation charge also?

Dar31

Give them a call there is usually a cancellation fee . You could also tell sky you  are in a contract with bt for broadband you never know they might give you a better deal to move which will make up the cost of the cancellation fee

bennydorano

Looking about a new Broadband deal but when I went to select an upgrade they pretty much said my line is rubbish and won't hold a better quality fibre. Anything that can be done about that??

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on January 31, 2021, 07:00:57 PM
Looking about a new Broadband deal but when I went to select an upgrade they pretty much said my line is rubbish and won't hold a better quality fibre. Anything that can be done about that??
What is your current download speed?

bennydorano

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on January 31, 2021, 07:45:33 PM
Up to 38mb
Until your cable can be upgraded,
if that's 38 megabits, then you could consider 4G modem  with an ext antenna if necessary. It uses the same card as your phone.
One subscription, unlimited download  with  2 sim cards usually works out very reasonable.
4G modem speeds could /should be around 100megabits/sec.

bennydorano

Quote from: Main Street on January 31, 2021, 08:10:47 PM
Up to 38mb
if that's 38 megabits, then you could consider 4G modem  with an ext antenna if necessary. It uses the same card as your phone.
One subscription, unlimited download  with  2 sim cards usually works out very reasonable.
Cheers, bearing in mind I'm clueless here is  that a self-sort situation or is there a package from a provider? Last time I changed provider I wanted Virgin wireless and it wasn't compatible with my set up either.

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on January 31, 2021, 08:18:46 PM
Quote from: Main Street on January 31, 2021, 08:10:47 PM
Up to 38mb
Cheers, bearing in mind I'm clueless here is  that a self-sort situation or is there a package from a provider? Last time I changed provider I wanted Virgin wireless and it wasn't compatible with my set up either.
Vodafone  have what they call a GigaCube 4G/5G modem. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/gigacube/ But I don't know what they charge for a 2nd  sim card  A sim card is inserted into the 4G modem, turn it on and it automatically connects to the nearest cell tower. Your computing devices  connect to the 4g modem in the same manner as with any modem, by ethernet cable - automatically,  by WIFI  - with WIFI code input. 
But 4G coverage may not be good where you live, just talk with the saleperson for advice. https://www.4g.co.uk/home-broadband/

In house, the 4G modem is usually located in the best reception location (by a window?). I test for the best location with my mobile phone  connected by wifi to the 4G modem and do speed tests on the phone.  A uni-directional external antenna with a  5m cable  could make a big  speed difference and allow more flexibility  in locating the modem in a more suitable plce in the  the house.

bennydorano

Thank you, much appreciated.

Tony Baloney

What are the real world advantages of download speeds above 38Mb in a domestic setting? My line is up to about 24Mb and since the wains have been at home we usually have 2 laptops, a PS4 and more than likely a couple of phones on the go simultaneously, with no issues.

bennydorano

I would say mine is never anywhere near 38mb tbh, pretty similar to your own at around 24 and we have way too many teenagers and devices on the go. I'm being totally self interested about an upgrade as I want it for Zwift (indoor interactive cycling) which is a power hungry hoor.

I found out I can get Virgin (assume cabled) as they were making a mess around here last year. There's an offer for 100mb download speeds, broadand only for £28 pm for 18mths with no set up fees.

imtommygunn

A mesh network makes a massive difference. (I guess it also depends on where in the house you are looking to get signal reception).

At the start of lockdown it was only me working from home whereas now it's me and the wife. I was really struggling in video conferencing calls as it kept dropping out. I got a mesh network(BT whole home) and I've never had any issues since and there is the two of us with her flat out on zoom calls all day.

I have zwift going no bother off this too.

(Initally my broadband was 29 and I'd no bother from this - there must have been some work done somewhere as it's now up to ~36).

laoislad

Quote from: bennydorano on February 01, 2021, 09:20:45 AM
I would say mine is never anywhere near 38mb tbh, pretty similar to your own at around 24 and we have way too many teenagers and devices on the go. I'm being totally self interested about an upgrade as I want it for Zwift (indoor interactive cycling) which is a power hungry hoor.

I found out I can get Virgin (assume cabled) as they were making a mess around here last year. There's an offer for 100mb download speeds, broadand only for £28 pm for 18mths with no set up fees.
People often complain about Virgin but I find them great. I have 500mb broadband with them.
Runs Zwift no problem but as you know with Zwift it's more about the hardware you run it on but the broadband will of course help.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 01, 2021, 09:03:32 AM
What are the real world advantages of download speeds above 38Mb in a domestic setting? My line is up to about 24Mb and since the wains have been at home we usually have 2 laptops, a PS4 and more than likely a couple of phones on the go simultaneously, with no issues.
It's about having enough bandwidth  for the household usage including the heavy duty -  teens, tv streaming.  We get 80 -  100Mbs with 4G  and after a while you get comfortably used to waiting 5 seconds for a download and not 5 minutes.