Leinster Championship 2020

Started by thejuice, November 01, 2020, 09:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 06:32:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 25, 2020, 04:51:35 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 04:12:34 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on November 25, 2020, 03:10:12 PM

Dublin U21/U20 have won 9 Leinster titles in the last 12 years compared to 7 in the previous 45 years.

They've gone on to win 5 All-Irelands [and are in the final again this year] in those 12 years, having won 1 All-Ireland in the previous 45 years of the competition.

Anyone who goes on about a golden generation of players is talking absolute codswallop, unless they can explain how one golden generation managed to win 5[and possibly 6] U21/U20 over the span of 12 years.
That's still less than Cork's six All-Ireland under-21 football titles in the 1980s

Galway won four between 2002 and 2013

Limerick won three u-21 titles in hurling from 2000 to 2002

Clare won four from 2009 to 2014

The latter three didn't capitalise hugely off those, only Clare got one senior title in 2013

It's an inexact science

Somebody mentioned ladies' football

Cork won 11 titles from 12 from 2005 to 2016 - I presume people were calling for Cork to be split up

Are RTE viewers going to watch all Ireland finals beyond 6 in a row ?
Are aserial all Ireland hammerings > 8 points  to 2030 and beyond likely to be of interest to neutrals ?
The GAA has destoyed its core product.  #Facepalm

As David Halberstam said of Robert McNamara in his book "the Best and the Brightest". - ": "they were brilliant, and they were fools."
TG4's viewing figures and the spectators at Croke Park increased hugely while Cork were winning 11 of 12 ladies' All-Irelands

I guess you could say they were good for the game

LGF is not yet a national treasure

All Ireland fuball final is

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0112/1105792-rte-shows-clinch-42-spots-in-top-50-most-watched-of-19/

Are armchair fans going to watch the Dubs massacre culchie teams beyond 6 in a row?

They won't.  It's not cricket
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Angelo

Quote from: BennyCake on November 25, 2020, 06:45:42 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on November 25, 2020, 06:28:11 PM
in the 90s  how many teams could u say had a legitimate chance of winning all ireland compared to now

8 different winners.
11 different finalists.

The highest winning margin I believe was 4 points, so 11 teams had a legitimate chance.

Plus, Roscommon, Offaly, Clare, Cavan got to semi finals, losing only by a few points each.

The 90s and 00s were the epitome of competitive football.

6 different counties won Leinster in that time (Dublin, Meath, Kildare, Laois, Westmeath, Offaly) with Louth and Wexford also going close.
All 5 Connacht counties won Connacht.
6 different counties won Ulster (Armagh, Cavan, Derry, Donegal, Down, Tyrone) and the remaining 3 counties were finalists with Monaghan and Fermanagh going very close in that time.
Munster had 3 different winners but bar Kerry Munster has always been a hurling province which is why Kerry have always had such dominance.

Counties like Fermanagh, Wexford and Sligo were making big impacts on the national stage.

Championship football was genuinely exciting then.

I think if you actually take Dublin out of it then this year's Championship really has shown the potential for it to get back that way but while GAA HQ keeps feeding the beast with their best meat then we have little chance of improving matters.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Rossfan

in the 90s  how many teams could u say had a legitimate chance of winning all ireland compared to now

8 different winners.
11 different finalists.

The highest winning margin I believe was 4 points, so 11 teams had a legitimate chance.

Plus, Roscommon, Offaly, Clare, Cavan got to semi finals, losing only by a few points each.
Laythrum got to a SF too but lost by a lot of points.
Then again Mayowestros got bet by triple scores the previous year........I know I shouldn't but fk it  :D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: restorepride on November 25, 2020, 07:25:14 PM

8 different winners.
11 different finalists.

With no back door and no Super 8s - I could live with that again.

Oh, I forgot about ourselves in 1999. Lost by 4 to Meath.

sid waddell

Quote from: Angelo on November 25, 2020, 07:39:31 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 06:28:27 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 25, 2020, 04:19:19 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 03:58:48 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 25, 2020, 03:54:36 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 03:33:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 25, 2020, 02:18:20 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 11:48:25 AM

In representative sport, the odds will generally be against one team because representative sport has inherent unfairness built into it

When England played Croatia in 2016, the odds were stacked against Croatia with their population of 3 or 4 million people against England's 55 million - in the the quarter-final they overcame Russia, population 144 million

This fact about representative sport being inherently unfair seems lost on people - it always was unfair, it always will be

If you want fairness, the logical outcome is 10 or 12 regional teams based on roughly equal population - but that would mean the end of most county teams and a glorious new era of the BMW Bandits franchise, representing Westmeath, Longford, Roscommon, Leitrim and Cavan, and the West Coast Spreadeagles franchise, representing Galway, Mayo and Clare

Ah here, we're not thick.

Everyone accepted the consequences of the imbalances in the county structure. Dublin averaged an AI every 5 or 6 years for the first 120 years of the GAA. That was fine, because other counties could still have their odd day in the sun.

But 7 out of 9, soon to be 8 from 10, is a problem. The consequence of this sort of dominance is hopelessness.

Smaller teams don't need to match the output of the big boys, we all know the demographics won't allow it. But it's important to feel that there is real hope of catching them out every once in a while. That hope is now dead across most of the country. Dublin have set the bar far beyond what will ever be possible for most counties, and people in those counties know it.
But Dublin's dominance is not unprecendented

It has existed before

If Dublin win 15 or 20 in a row and are routinely winning All-Ireland finals by 10-15 points plus, we might talk then about a split

But this is not the case

I don't know how there cannot be real hope of "catching out" Dublin once in a while given their five in a row All-Ireland finals had margins of 3, 0 (1), 1, 6 and 0 (6) points

Defending the indefensible with falsehoods as usual.

No county had won 10 Leinster Football titles on trot before - unprecedented.
14 of 15 Leinster Football titles - unprecedented
5 All Ireland titles on the trot - unprecedented

As much as you dislike the truth, maybe try and stick with it next time.
You might address my point about the Scottish Premier League and Serie A

You're a big fan of both these leagues - yet Celtic and Juventus have consistently strolled to facile league titles in the same time that Dublin have been dominating Leinster

Both are on nine in a row now and it seems to be a huge to deal to you that Celtic get that vital tenth title in a row

This simply doesn't tally with what you say about Dublin

If dominance by one team was such a turn off for you, you'd have no interest in those leagues - but you do

You're now comparing professional sports with ones that are supposedly amateur.

That's your problem here with defending the indefensible, you don't have enough smarts or integrity to debate the issue, you have to fabricate lies and spin to deflect.

We know quite clearly now that you are incapable of putting up a solid defence without insulting the intelligence of all the posters on this board.

You told us it was not unprecedented at intercounty football level, when the facts prove you wrong you then try to deflect to other sports. The issue here is Dublin GAA and no amount of spoofing on Scottish football or Italian football will detract us from that.
Whether sports are amateur or professional is totally irrelevant

In the Scottish Premier League and Serie A, teams have won nine in a row and yet you are huge fans of these leagues and desperate for Celtic to win 10 in a row against the might of Caley Thistle and Hamilton Accies, and, apparently, a club which has only existed since 2012 and has never won anything of note - at least say Celtic supporters

This does not compute

As was pre-empted. You're trying to muddy the waters and deflect. This isn't a thread about association football, Celtic or Scottish football.

Why are you doing this? Because you support capitalist greed.
You gave the exact answer I expected you to give

A pig ignorant grunt

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on November 25, 2020, 08:24:15 PM

8 different winners.
11 different finalists.

Then again Mayowestros got bet by triple scores the previous year........I know I shouldn't but fk it  :D ;D

Leitrim lost by 12. Yes Mayo lost heavily in 93, but I included them already as one of the 11 finalists.

sid waddell

Quote from: caprea on November 25, 2020, 07:24:22 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 06:42:00 PM
Quote from: caprea on November 25, 2020, 05:13:16 PM

Dublin U21/U20 have won 9 Leinster titles in the last 12 years compared to 7 in the previous 45 years.

They've gone on to win 5 All-Irelands [and are in the final again this year] in those 12 years, having won 1 All-Ireland in the previous 45 years of the competition.

Anyone who goes on about a golden generation of players is talking absolute codswallop, unless they can explain how one golden generation managed to win 5[and possibly 6] U21/U20 over the span of 12 years.
That's still less than Cork's six All-Ireland under-21 football titles in the 1980s

The latter three didn't capitalise hugely off those, only Clare got one senior title in 2013

It's an inexact science

Cork won 11 titles from 12 from 2005 to 2016 - I presume people were calling for Cork to be split up

Are aserial all Ireland hammerings > 8 points  to 2030 and beyond likely to be of interest to neutrals ?

As David Halberstam said of Robert McNamara in his book "the Best and the Brightest". - ": "they were brilliant, and they were fools."

It's possible this would have happened without the money. Dublin are Barcelona, Milan, Munich. The rest are IFK Gothenburg, Basel, Bruges.

History will probably say it was the money but I'm not so sure.

As I've probably said before, Dublins population INCREASE since 1990 is larger than the present TOTAL population of Kildare or Meath.

Demographics.
How many of this population increase are eligible to play for Dublin?

I don't think Wayne from Basildon who is living in Dublin and fixing Sky boxes for a living, or Deepak from Mohali who is fixing computers, or Frida from Odense who is at Google, or Jasmine from Quezon City who is working as a child minder, or Ricardo from Belo Horizonte who is Deliverooing will make much of a difference to Dublin's prospects

Maybe their kids will - or maybe their kids will make a difference to the prospects of Meath or Kildare

But of course Sid. It's only Dublin where the new population increase is all foreign immigrants. You'll never see a black person or polish person in Kildare. We actually only allow people in who can trace their lineage to an all Ireland winner.

Key point.. Dublins population INCREASE since 1990 is larger than the present TOTAL population of Kildare or Meath.

That's the crux of the domination. The funding has a affect but is largely a red herring.

Culchies moving to Dublins suburbs after getting work in Dublin and taking their traditions of GAA with them.

It's economic more than sport.
The crux of the domination is people who aren't playing and have no interest in playing for Dublin, or playing Gaelic Games at all?

How so?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: BennyCake on November 25, 2020, 09:35:31 PM

8 different winners.
11 different finalists.

Leitrim lost by 12. Yes Mayo lost heavily in 93, but I included them already as one of the 11 finalists.
Imagine Leitrim have been in a semi final since Ros were. Now that's something to smile at.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Angelo

Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 09:35:12 PM

You gave the exact answer I expected you to give

A pig ignorant grunt

You're the one trying to frame a debate about Dublin GAA on association football.

Don't project your shortcomings.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

BennyCake

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 25, 2020, 09:43:01 PM

8 different winners.
11 different finalists.

Imagine Leitrim have been in a semi final since Ros were. Now that's something to smile at.

Oh I see what's going on here. Where's me popcorn? :D

sid waddell

8 different winners.
11 different finalists.

The 2000s had seven different finalists and four different winners - the exact same as the 2010s and the 1970s

1969-1990 had just five different winners

Cavan and Tipperary have already reached semi-finals in the 2020s

caprea

Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 09:40:17 PM
Quote from: caprea on November 25, 2020, 07:24:22 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 06:42:00 PM
Quote from: caprea on November 25, 2020, 05:13:16 PM

It's an inexact science

It's possible this would have happened without the money. Dublin are Barcelona, Milan, Munich. The rest are IFK Gothenburg, Basel, Bruges.

History will probably say it was the money but I'm not so sure.

As I've probably said before, Dublins population INCREASE since 1990 is larger than the present TOTAL population of Kildare or Meath.

Demographics.
How many of this population increase are eligible to play for Dublin?

I don't think Wayne from Basildon who is living in Dublin and fixing Sky boxes for a living, or Deepak from Mohali who is fixing computers, or Frida from Odense who is at Google, or Jasmine from Quezon City who is working as a child minder, or Ricardo from Belo Horizonte who is Deliverooing will make much of a difference to Dublin's prospects

Maybe their kids will - or maybe their kids will make a difference to the prospects of Meath or Kildare

But of course Sid. It's only Dublin where the new population increase is all foreign immigrants. You'll never see a black person or polish person in Kildare. We actually only allow people in who can trace their lineage to an all Ireland winner.

Key point.. Dublins population INCREASE since 1990 is larger than the present TOTAL population of Kildare or Meath.

That's the crux of the domination. The funding has a affect but is largely a red herring.

Culchies moving to Dublins suburbs after getting work in Dublin and taking their traditions of GAA with them.

It's economic more than sport.
The crux of the domination is people who aren't playing and have no interest in playing for Dublin, or playing Gaelic Games at all?

How so?

Census Sid I think I'll call you from now on.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 25, 2020, 09:43:01 PM

8 different winners.
11 different finalists.

Touche oul pal.
Bet you have fond memories of Laythrum's Connacht Final win in '94.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Which dublin team is the greatest of all time , 2011 , 2013 or 2020 ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

dublin7

Quote from: larryin89 on November 26, 2020, 01:15:06 PM
Which dublin team is the greatest of all time , 2011 , 2013 or 2020 ?

Hard to say. 2020 team have only won a Leinster title so you'd automatically discount them. 2011 side were the first team to win the All Ireland so they have a special place in Dublin folklore.

2013 is probably my favourite. Their all out attacking philosophy was great to watch and the semi final against Kerry that year was one of the best games and atmospheres I can remember.