Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: tommysmith on April 05, 2013, 12:10:48 PM
QuoteU21 success hindering promotion from Division 3

Any views on this guys?

Where did the quote come from? I think it possibly did as Clarke and Mcloughlin are probably better backs than what we had but who knows. Don't really care as long as we get this Ulster u21 won.

tommysmith

It came from me.

I think we would have promotion this year if the U21 had of been let play more games.

rodney trotter

Possibly, Flanagan is playing very well with the u21's, Jack and Clarke. I think Mooney will be close to the Senior team aswell

Where did you find that quote, the Division 3 thread?

tommysmith

haha i made it up myself, just trying to get a bit of discussion going.

I see you are telling lies on the Derry thread Rodders.

rodney trotter

About the u21's not being used for the last 4 years ha. more or less? they only played in 2 games year, wouldn't expect them when they are involved with that panel

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 05, 2013, 10:25:09 PM
About the u21's not being used for the last 4 years ha. more or less? they only played in 2 games year, wouldn't expect them when they are involved with that panel

They should be playing every game !

rodney trotter

Asking a bit much, would you play them against Ross and then Donegal on Wednesday

tommysmith

Not now cos the result wont matter.

Itchy

I think the way it has been done is bang on and I think if we had done anything radically different last few years we wouldn't have won those titles.

tommysmith

I'm not sure its a good thing and don't see how it would have made any difference.

Playing game is better than any training.

mylestheslasher

Tommy I'm inclined to agree with Itchy. Its not about playing games really. Its about getting a bunch of young lads together, training and bonding as a team. Having some of them playing and training with seniors would have impacted this togetherness in my opinion. I think the results speak for themselves. Next year we should see a push for promotion from div 3 and i think that should be next years goal. This year my goal was for an improvement in the seniors and for further glory for the U21's. The seniors have certainly improved and hopefully the U21's will win on Wednesday and maybe go even further.

Next year the seniors should have 4 successful u21 panels to cherry pick a senior panel and add the 2/3 players from over 25 yrs old and that should look like a damn decent panel and then I think the county board should shift focus a little more onto the seniors.

I'm happy enough the way things are running at the moment.

tommysmith

I would be happy enough myself but i just think that the Senior team should be a step further up the ladder at this stage and be playing a better standard of football next year in Division 2.  We have been in Division 3 for long enough now and at this stage promotion should be the only thing on the Senior managements minds next year.

rodney trotter

2011 and 2012 Cavan narrowly avoided Relegation to Division 4. We would have taken where we are now at the start of the league, next year the likes of Fergal Flanagan and Jack Brady, Mooney,will have no u21 commitments and we will have more options.

The likes of Mackey, Clarke, Martin Reilly, James McEnroe plus others are only back this year after being out for a year or more. Takes time for it to all to gel together, I would be fairly confident of going up next year.

Westside

Minors hammered by Monaghan in Breffni. We should be careful not to take for granted that we will keep producing good underage sides. We may well be just going through a golden generation at the moment which could be drying up further down the line.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on April 06, 2013, 03:42:51 PM
Minors hammered by Monaghan in Breffni. We should be careful not to take for granted that we will keep producing good underage sides. We may well be just going through a golden generation at the moment which could be drying up further down the line.

Your point is right but a bad loss or two in what is effectively a pre season tournament is nothing to be overly worried about in my opinion. It was only 6-5 at half time and Monaghan got a few goals early in the 2nd half. No point showing our hands yet, thats what we use to do and ended up getting bet in Ulster championship then.