What's your relationship with alcohol?

Started by Boycey, October 12, 2018, 11:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Bottle wine every weekend usually . Maybe bottle and wee extra glass at most. Trying to go every second weekend since Christmas. Love a drink but doesn't suit me next day, get very anxious . Having drink atm. And before anyone says it I won't mebtion sinn Féin, oops I've done it again

An Watcher

Was a serious drinker back in the day. Hardly sobered doing A-levels and uni. Can't handle the hangovers now so I feel like I'm a bit of a bore. On the plus side I'm not anxious or nervous, can function the next day and kids don't have to look at their drunken da. Don't think it was ever a problem but it could have gone that way. Enjoy an odd beer now eg one a week and then go and get absolutely hammered every three or four months. Great!!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: An Watcher on February 05, 2021, 10:51:28 PM
Was a serious drinker back in the day. Hardly sobered doing A-levels and uni. Can't handle the hangovers now so I feel like I'm a bit of a bore. On the plus side I'm not anxious or nervous, can function the next day and kids don't have to look at their drunken da. Don't think it was ever a problem but it could have gone that way. Enjoy an odd beer now eg one a week and then go and get absolutely hammered every three or four months. Great!!

I can sit drinking to 4 and rise at 7. The stomach and head bes ok, but anxiety awful if I drink too much

restorepride

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 05, 2021, 10:53:32 PM

I can sit drinking to 4 and rise at 7. The stomach and head bes ok, but anxiety awful if I drink too much
Same - anxiety is the killer for me.   Over Christmas and New Year drank too much, presents of whiskey and poteen (even clove-rock poteen, which I had never heard of!!).  From 3 weeks ago, I stick to a Friday and Monday (for personal reasons!) and feel better for it.  Even look forward more to a Friday again!!!  As I spout, I have drunk a bottle of wine and now started on a glass of Powers but I'm grand because I'm allowed on a Friday!!!
Overall however, actually drinking less as the years go on - or at least less liquid volume.  Pints are now a 'wet-the-bed' scenario!!!!  A return to my youth!!

Ball Hopper

Can't handle the volume any more due to the bag - might as well be pouring it straight into it when it comes to beer or cider. 

Instead I've resorted to wine, which I've always liked.  Struggling to finish a third glass though - which is fine by me - so we share a bottle late at night on Friday and Saturday only. 

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: restorepride on February 05, 2021, 11:04:14 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 05, 2021, 10:53:32 PM

Same - anxiety is the killer for me.   Over Christmas and New Year drank too much, presents of whiskey and poteen (even clove-rock poteen, which I had never heard of!!).  From 3 weeks ago, I stick to a Friday and Monday (for personal reasons!) and feel better for it.  Even look forward more to a Friday again!!!  As I spout, I have drunk a bottle of wine and now started on a glass of Powers but I'm grand because I'm allowed on a Friday!!!
Overall however, actually drinking less as the years go on - or at least less liquid volume.  Pints are now a 'wet-the-bed' scenario!!!!  A return to my youth!!

Lol hi, sounds familiar, good post

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Ball Hopper on February 05, 2021, 11:15:05 PM
Can't handle the volume any more due to the bag - might as well be pouring it straight into it when it comes to beer or cider. 

Instead I've resorted to wine, which I've always liked.  Struggling to finish a third glass though - which is fine by me - so we share a bottle late at night on Friday and Saturday only.

Enjoy a chara , good balance there

Tony Baloney

Weekender myself and quantity massively reduced. Rarely drink lager at home - wine mostly, the odd gin, maybe bottles of MacIvors cider or cans of Guinness (bought some 440ml glasses so it looks like a proper (almost) pint).

Itchy

Haven't drank in 3 months, including the whole of Christmas.  The highs are great but the lows were getting too low. The idea of drinking now makes me immediately think of the next day and then I just don't.

restorepride

Quote from: Itchy on February 05, 2021, 11:29:28 PM
Haven't drank in 3 months, including the whole of Christmas.  The highs are great but the lows were getting too low. The idea of drinking now makes me immediately think of the next day and then I just don't.
Honest post with which I can relate.

From the Bunker

Quote from: restorepride on February 05, 2021, 11:35:20 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 05, 2021, 11:29:28 PM
Honest post with which I can relate.

+1

Milltown Row2

I've a mate that has that same view of anxiety with drink, only ever experienced it once on a stag weekend in Spain. Would never push anyone into the idea of "Ah sure go on ya eejit"

I really enjoy it, I suppose never having hangovers always helps, or doesn't, depending on how you view it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

pbat

Haven't drunk since 10th October, longest period since I was 17 and I miss it everyday.

brokencrossbar1

I enjoy my drink. No point denying it. We had a nice dinner last night, 3 bottles of wine and a few gins.  Would do that every 2-3 weeks but would drink most Friday and Saturday nights. Rarely drink Sunday to Thursday though. Maybe a few beers if I'm watching a game or on Thursday night as she is in work till late. I'm lucky though, don't hangover and would be up handy enough. Up today at 7.30 with the baby and she stayed in bed as she was busted. I work bloody hard and try to keep myself active. I don't do anyone else any harm and would not be an awkward person but from drunk, though I don't generally get drunk, just merry.

Drinking habits haven't changed too much though would have drank a bit more at the start of the first lock down 

johnnycool

Interesting read in the IN about the young lad from Watty Grahams, Ciaran McCloy;

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2021/02/15/news/ciaran-mccloy-2220581/

It's a pretty common story in Ireland sadly as we culturally have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol especially at too young of an age. Most come through those years unscathed but a lot don't.