The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 17, 2018, 10:50:08 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 17, 2018, 10:41:35 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 17, 2018, 10:39:42 AM
There's not much time to talk about the game when you have Brolly ranting, Brolly's time on the TSG is up. We all know what's he going to say and its boring and most of us are tried of listening to him.

The game has moved on and its time to hear more from players who've recently retired or from those who are still coaching. There's easily room for a guest appearance each week from a manager who's still active.

Also, just to say I watched that game Sunday night as I taped it and watched it when I came back from Portlaoise. It wasn't the best game ever, and Galway were certainly cautious, but it wasn't the horror show people were saying either.

I watched it again and you're right, clearly not a classic their were some good moments from both teams they could have talked about at half time and after the match but once again they prefer to rant and run down the game.

In a 2-3 minute period in the second half there were a couple of great scores - first from Mayo where AOS broke the kickout to COC, long kick to Andy who just about got to it ahead of two backs and popped it over. From the kickout, Galway won it, couple of passes and a long kick to Walsh who took on Durcan before kicking a nice point. Great to watch but it's a pity it doesn't happen more frequently.

joemamas

Quote from: Beffs on May 17, 2018, 12:55:17 PM
Quote from: Seany on May 17, 2018, 10:17:09 AM
I think he's excellent.  Much better also on podcasts when he can talk more freely.  RTE gives you about 20 seconds max to answer a question.

Then why does he waste half that time by starting very single sentence with "Ah sure, d'ya know Des, lookit, I suppose sure I think I suppose...."

The man can not give a straight answer to a simple question to save his life. Comes across as a bit too vague for my liking, as if he's waiting for the producers to tell him what to say into his earpiece. He's not, but that's how he comes across.

+1, this "look I suppose" BS has gotten old quickly. Mind you he has a lot of company.

Is there some agent or other that facilities these guys getting the Sunday games gigs and also some of the radio slots.
A lot of spoofers and self promoting clowns if you ask me, making sure they get a sound bite here a sound bite there, "I was talking to a panel member and he told me......."

Other than Whealan, McStay, O Rourke and occasionally Brolly, the rest are absolutely useless and predictable and more often than not ill prepared.

BennyCake

Pause/rewind/record options on TVs are rendering punditry meaningless. People I think tend to just watch the games, or have bite size footage. Attention spans ain't what they were, and fewer people want to listen to pundits talking (sense or crap), regardless of who they are.

I think that's why TG4's Monday night highlights are very good. No bullshit, show me the matches, goodnight.

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 16, 2018, 10:33:12 AM
Quote from: Targetman on May 15, 2018, 07:18:04 PM
Tomas O Shea is a complete bluffer, he hadn't a clue what he was waffling about at half time, was a great player but talks pure shite!!

This. He comes across as pretty dumb.

Yerra lookit Dinny, I suppose there's a fine line between a fella being 'dumb' and a fella being 'cute'.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

When was the last time anyone got a straight answer from a Kerrymen?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: tintin25 on May 14, 2018, 08:00:44 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 14, 2018, 07:31:26 PM
Quote from: longballin on May 13, 2018, 10:09:51 PM
Wicklow manager - "if Dublin want to beat us by 10 or 20 points they can" Is ridiculous this non tiered system...
You are mad for a tiered system. How much interest or coverage did you see of the Joe McDonagh,Christy ring,Nicky Rackard cups this weekend?

Wicklow manager has a name John Evans and he said "If Dublin want to beat us by 10, 20, 30 or 40 points they can do that, but we'll play our football and we'll develop our football over the next three years and that's what I'm looking at, not only one game."

I really cant understand the strength of feeling against a  tiered system.
Surely its a much better system for everyone involved?

Exactly.  Tiered system will not work and numbers going to games would reduce dramatically imo.  Wouldn't be surprised if players even went on strike because of it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

trailer

These junior teams need constantly bate. They don't want the tiered championship. That's fine. Then take your 30 point beating. Watch as players drop out and leave. They'll get what they want.

AZOffaly

One reason is that players, if they are going to be bursting a gut for several months, want to at least have the recognition of playing for their county in the Senior Championship. We have a tiered competition, and it's a good one, the National League. But players want, and are entitled to, their moment in the sun.

How many people knew on Monday morning that Wicklow beat Offaly and Carlow beat Louth? Now how many people can even name the Joe McDonagh Cup hurling matches on the same weekend?
I would wager a fair sum that more knew about the former, and read about the Wicklow goalie, or Carlow's great performance, than the latter.

That's one reason why.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 17, 2018, 03:42:34 PM
One reason is that players, if they are going to be bursting a gut for several months, want to at least have the recognition of playing for their county in the Senior Championship. We have a tiered competition, and it's a good one, the National League. But players want, and are entitled to, their moment in the sun.

How many people knew on Monday morning that Wicklow beat Offaly and Carlow beat Louth? Now how many people can even name the Joe McDonagh Cup hurling matches on the same weekend?
I would wager a fair sum that more knew about the former, and read about the Wicklow goalie, or Carlow's great performance, than the latter.

That's one reason why.

Maybe the answer is system similar0 to the FA cup, where the 'bigger' seeded counties can enter the competition at round 3.

Still gives everyone the chance to play in the main event, but there is justa couple of qualifying agmes to play first before you get into the competition proper.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Yeah, I'd have no problem with that. I think I suggested something similar before.

Syferus

Tiered systems don't work for promoting the game. Anyone who says they do is willfully ignoring the absolutely shambles that is the elitist tiered system in hurling, where no one even pays any attention to the lower grades. It didn't improve anyone's lot or suddenly stop lads fûcking off to America for the summer.

trailer

That's one reason why.

They should earn the right, by becoming good. I never watched weaker counties in hurling before the tiered championship and I wont watch it now.
All this championship has done for Offaly is make them an even bigger laughing stock than they already were.

Neutrals want to watch the best players, in the best teams in the Summer. Not Offaly or Louth imploding against Wicklow or Carlow.

AZOffaly

Quote from: trailer on May 17, 2018, 03:58:06 PM

That's one reason why.

They should earn the right, by becoming good. I never watched weaker counties in hurling before the tiered championship and I wont watch it now.
All this championship has done for Offaly is make them an even bigger laughing stock than they already were.

Neutrals want to watch the best players, in the best teams in the Summer. Not Offaly or Louth imploding against Wicklow or Carlow.

Fair enough, that's your right. At least you're honest about it, and not pretending it's some sort of egalitarian utopia you're looking for. Basically you just don't want to waste your time with teams who have no chance to win the All Ireland.

But you don't get to dictate to players who are actually putting in the effort.

Where are you from by the way?

Rossfan

People are talking about Offaly alright😁
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on May 17, 2018, 04:24:00 PM
People are talking about Offaly alright😁

Big deal. So we're in trouble. Ye've never been in trouble, or playing naked pool or anything like that.