Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: David McKeown on June 19, 2023, 05:32:13 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on June 19, 2023, 05:11:13 PM
It was a punch.

A punch or two ?

The first one you perhaps could make an argument for it being accidental.
The 2nd one for me was blatant.

David McKeown

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 19, 2023, 06:39:54 PM
It was a punch.

A punch or two ?

Don't get me wrong I think both were punches but I'm not sure there's enough evidence there that would stand up to scrutiny were retrospective action be taken. I think the first it's too difficult to say conclusively that was anything other than accidental.

On the second one I don't think it's clear he makes contact so I'd not be surprised if no further action is taken because attempted strikes are much harder to prove than actual strikes because you have to demonstrate intent.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Milltown Row2

Next match I do, some player will say "ffs ref, I was just trying to stop myself from face planting and doubled jab the man so I didn't hurt myself"

;D ;D

Like I said if the shoe was on the other foot the gurning you'd hear from the Armagh ones would be hard to listen too
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: David McKeown on June 19, 2023, 07:42:50 PM
It was a punch.

A punch or two ?

Don't get me wrong I think both were punches but I'm not sure there's enough evidence there that would stand up to scrutiny were retrospective action be taken. I think the first it's too difficult to say conclusively that was anything other than accidental.

On the second one I don't think it's clear he makes contact so I'd not be surprised if no further action is taken because attempted strikes are much harder to prove than actual strikes because you have to demonstrate intent.
Disagree entirely that the first punch is a difficult call, it's very clear for all to see the intent there, I honestly can't believe the usage of the word accidental in relation to it, it's not going to put Galway up or down at this point if nothing is done so I don't care but the denial of what is obvious is an absurdity.

David McKeown

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 19, 2023, 09:12:19 PM
It was a punch.

A punch or two ?

Disagree entirely that the first punch is a difficult call, it's very clear for all to see the intent there, I honestly can't believe the usage of the word accidental in relation to it, it's not going to put Galway up or down at this point if nothing is done so I don't care but the denial of what is obvious is an absurdity.

Im not denying its a punch what I am saying is that I would be surprised if there was retrospective action given the limited quality of the video and lack of angles etc and it will likely be excused off as potentially accidental.

seafoid

Quote from: David McKeown on June 19, 2023, 09:37:43 PM
It was a punch.

A punch or two ?

Im not denying its a punch what I am saying is that I would be surprised if there was retrospective action given the limited quality of the video and lack of angles etc and it will likely be excused off as potentially accidental.

It depends on how the GAA see it. There seems to be a precedent.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/06/04/today-wasnt-about-champagne-football-jack-oconnor-admits-kerry-still-a-work-in-progress/The otherwise excellent Seán Powter was turned over in centrefield, and 30 seconds later he brought down Paul Geaney as the Kerry forward was driving at the Cork goal from an angle.

Even though the offence had taken place outside the square, referee David Gough deemed that it had been a goalscoring opportunity, and because the foul had taken place inside the 21 he was bound to award a penalty.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/06/20/jim-mcguinness-in-the-blink-of-an-eye-my-dark-horse-galway-became-a-shade-darker/Armagh asked Joyce's side a lot of questions, they ran at them aggressively, were more expansive and their kicking game started to come to the fore, really testing the Galway full-back line.

Armagh went long with their kick-outs and if they won possession they would immediately go long again. They also continued to squeeze Conor Gleeson's kick-outs and that was an area Armagh did exceptionally well in all afternoon, getting that press on early.

There was a real honesty about Armagh in that second period of the game, they hunted in packs and as a result the game became chaotic.

rrhf

Quote from: David McKeown on June 19, 2023, 09:37:43 PM
It was a punch.

A punch or two ?
David with the greatest respect after every game you seem to want irrefutable evidence on every Armagh incident. I get that from a legal perspective but if you keep defending your players like this it's going to continue and will be the reason why Armagh football cannot move on. A county of bullshit narrative, blame and excuses...

Orior

Nonsense. Why would you punch a player lying on his back? Makes no sense. It looked to me like he was trying to punch the ball out of Kelly's hands but he himself got shoved.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

An Fhairche Abu

Is all notion of people just accepting what their county players do on the pitch at face value gone and is it all going to just be partisan bias and see what we want to see at this stage?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on June 20, 2023, 10:18:35 AM
Nonsense. Why would you punch a player lying on his back? Makes no sense. It looked to me like he was trying to punch the ball out of Kelly's hands but he himself got shoved.

Did you see where the ball actually was? Maybe the ball of his throat he was aiming for  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Terrible attempt at punching. Forker wouldn't be much use if things kicked off outside Tomneys.

square_ball

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 20, 2023, 10:24:05 AM
Is all notion of people just accepting what their county players do on the pitch at face value gone and is it all going to just be partisan bias and see what we want to see at this stage?

This is it exactly. Its gone like the Premier League supporters. Players in our own team are incapable of doing anything bad and if something goes against them its a conspiracy from the GAA and/or referees.

blanketattack

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on June 19, 2023, 04:11:40 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 19, 2023, 04:06:48 PM
Great day of football - few thoughts:
We were not good and still arent firing on all cylilnders. We are wide open at the back and Westmeath were unfortunate not to take anything from the game
Canavan was excellent - if McCurry & him gel in a game we will outscore most teams
I am still uncertain about our management - we dont seem to be able to change anything during the game - if we win we win. If we are playing shit we will play shit until the end of the game
Armagh player punching a Kelly once he fell after the penalty incident has to be reviewed - if Cavan Joe had saw that he would have given a red
Armagh free was questionable at the end - no more than that as we have all seen them given
Galway free was a certainty after a brain fart by the Armagh defender but the whistle should have been blown before then

Last point - how did no one on the entire Mayo backroom team get a message to Aidan to kick the ball over the bar to guarantee second place? Do the players even know what the possible outcomes are? Madness and one which will probably put Mayo out of the race for Sam
I'm fairly certain O'Shea went for a point.

Yeah, two aspects tell me he was going for a point.
1. If they were needing a goal surely O'Shea would be in the square
2. Players and coaches surely know at this stage that kicks into the square from a free give you virtually no chance of a goal - you should play a quick pass and then fire it in (or have some other plan).

Can anyone from Mayo, particularly on the coaching staff say with a straight face that O'Shea is a good candidate to take a vital free from 35 yards out with time almost up?
I thought he was on free taking duties for the easy ones just to boost his confidence. There's about 10 players better at taking frees than Aidan O'Shea on that Mayo squad, no? He's scored 44 points in 14 years of playing with Mayo, he's clearly not a point scorer of note.

David McKeown

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 20, 2023, 10:24:05 AM

Strange I was thinking the exact opposite with a complete refusal from many posters (not all) to accept that there may be an alternative point of view with some even attacking the poster rather than debating the merits. I suppose this is the other side of the same coin and likely just as influenced by county loyalties and bias.