Ros v Donegal 19th July

Started by Rossfan, July 02, 2008, 09:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I suppose we might as well turn up for it but we probably haven't a hope in Hell.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tatler Jack

Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2008, 09:06:04 PM
I suppose we might as well turn up for it but we probably haven't a hope in Hell.

Paddy Power certainly does not think so :'(

J70

Assuming Donegal approach this game in the correct manner, they should win with a few points to spare. However, even my stating that opinion reflects the danger in this match for Donegal. We've been caught out by complacency far too many times in the past to render this game a formality. I'd actually be less concerned about Donegal raising their game if this match was on in Hyde Park. Roscommon are going into this match with absolutely nothing to lose, which is makes me a little nervous. You only have to cast your mind back to Breffni in 2005 when Cavan, after a 20 point hammering at the hands of Tyrone and with a similar air of apathy and resignation among their support (wasn't it something like 2000 home supporters present on the day?), tore a complacent Donegal to shreds in the first half, building up a ten point lead. That Donegal fought back and would have won the game except for a last minute penalty miss only serves to highlight how vulnerable Donegal teams can be to complacency. Ros may travel with zero expectations, but that does not mean that they haven't a hope. Donegal have a few injury worries at the moment as well, but hopefully they'll be cleared up by July 19th. Again, I expect to win with a few points to spare, as I think there is little doubt that we currently have a better group of players than Roscommon, but bitter experience has taught me to always be prepared for the worst.  

The Voice Of Reason

I agree 100% with you J70 ... I still think we can get a good run in the qualifiers ... but Donegal football and any level of expectation aren't happy partners, as we've learned over and over and over again!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

This games got a 5pm throw-in doesn't it?
Tbc....

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 03, 2008, 11:26:04 AM
This games got a 5pm throw-in doesn't it?

It is a 5pm throw in alright.

Hard to have any confidence going up to Donegal for this one. In fact alot of Roscommon people possibly wont make the journey at all. I'd say the lads will give it everything and as they often do when cut loose from the shackles of connaugh put in a decent performace. Ultimately I don't think we have enough class to pull this one off.

In saying that a few of our lads need to stand up and be counted now - time for Mannion, Dolan and Cox to show if they should hang around next year. Personally I would like to see Shine, Kenny and O'Gara all start.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

I think that Donegals performance will depend greatly on how much celebrating there was at Cass's wedding!

I still believe that we were kinda unlucky and under performed against Derry, but I think that we will be just too strong for the Rossies.
Tbc....

rosnarun

my 2 favorite counties . anyway both can loose?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: rosnarun on July 04, 2008, 10:11:26 AM

Think 'lose' is the word your looking for - good lad.

Rossfan

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on July 04, 2008, 10:32:58 AM

And him calling himself after us and all  :D

rosnarun

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on July 04, 2008, 10:32:58 AM

yet another teacher with two much thyme on her hands.

yes my name is a lament for the great days when it was a pleasure to beat the sheepstealers not a mercy killing like it is now though i wouldnt rule out a win as give donegal long enough and they'll beat themselves anyway
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

the green man

This game should be a shoe in. Ros always fall apart, but so do Tir Connall. Donegal have the potintial to go far this year. Youse need BD. Even without Brendan, Donegal to win by 4

heineken_on_tap

Any word from Ros on how are things going within the camp? Never seen such a low key build up to a game within the county. Will any Rossies make the journey at all?

Rossfan

Ah sure there'll be a few of us anyway. The usual clowns  although one or two I know aren't bothered as they feel that this year ended back St Patrick's weekend in Crossmaglen.
I believe the lads are training away but whether it's with any sense of purpose or just to make sure the Govt dont try to stop the grants I dont know.
Not sure if O'Neill will be available as he got a facial injury in a hot tempered O'Rourke game v Elphin a few  weeks ago. Stephen Lohan also sustained an eye injury in that outing.
Anyway I think the team will be - Claffey/O'Connor Casey McDermott/Hoey ???Rogers/ O'Neill Finneran/ Mannion O'Gara Cregg/Kilbride Dunning Heneghan.
If  we can keep the margin under 6 we'll be doing well. :-[

Tatler Jack

QuoteIf  we can keep the margin under 6 we'll be doing well

Assume that is 6 goals you mean Rosfan!!!

Suppose we have to fulfil the fixture but thats about it. No doubt Donegal will feel short changed that they did not get a proper game.