Dida

Started by tyroneboi, October 03, 2007, 10:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Am amazed Dida got a ban but naturally delighted as its somewhere approaching the correct punishment for his idiocy and dishonesty. Credit to UEFA for once, didn't think they would have the balls. AC Milan's statement was a disgrace and has changed my opinion of them. I had a certain amount of admiration for them and their achievements but if they condone this type of crap well then, my opinion changes.

Celtic are a tad fortunate the fine wasn't higher though their past good record can explain this. It would have been a huge over reaction to make them play a game behind closed doors as they had no previous.

Bogball XV

Whilst I'm delighted Dida got a ban, it's hardly fair that he receive a bigger punishment than Celtic, Celtic were culpable in the first instance here, if they had been doing what they're supposed to, ie protect the players on the pitch, then Dida would never have engaged in his histrionics (well, probably wouldn't have anyway, but you never know!!).
It's a tough one, because I don't think Celtic deserve much more punishment than they got, maybe a couple of matches behind closed doors, suspended for a year or so?

lynchbhoy

Uefa are using dida as a scapegoat - and you know what, its sad for the guy - but Uefa had to do something
it wouldnt have happened dida if he hadnt previous and he hadnt hit the deck as if shot last week.
so he will think twice about that in future, so will other play actors

Celtic on the other hand couldnt have been luckier
a small fine, has to be down to prev good behaviour by fans.

Square Ball

Absolute disgrace

From the Beeb

AC Milan goalkeeper Dida has had his ban following the Champions League game with Celtic in Glasgow halved by Uefa to one match.
He had been found to have breached Uefa's principles of "sportsmanship and integrity" for over-reacting to minimal contact by a fan on the pitch.

But Dida will miss only Wednesday's game against Shakhtar Donetsk.

Milan had appealed against the original two-match ban. Celtic were fined £12,500 following the incident.

A statement on Milan's official website read: "Uefa has partially accepted Milan's appeal by reducing from two to one the match ban given to Nelson Dida following the episodes in Glasgow.

"The Rossoneri goalkeeper will not be available for Wednesday's game at the San Siro against Shakhtar Donetsk, but he will be available to play in Donetsk on 6 November."

The 34-year-old Dida was tapped by the fan who had invaded the playing area but then slumped to the ground dramatically and was stretchered off.

Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani was satisfied with Uefa's ruling.

"I believe it is fair - I was against the two-game suspension but one seems OK," he said.

"Dida has made a mistake but his error did not hinder anyone, not Celtic, nor any player."

Dida stood in the centre circle and bowed to each corner of the ground before Sunday's 1-0 defeat by Empoli to say sorry for the incident.

The Celtic fan who ran on to the field was banned for life by the Scottish champions.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid