Ball in play time

Started by Rossfan, October 11, 2011, 11:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Not stats on the hurling games?

The ball in play in hurling obviously is longer.

;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jell 0 Biafra

Can't tell us much without similar stats from previous seasons.  Maybe it was also lower than other sports.

Would be in favor of  basketball style time keeping, where the clock stops when the ball is not in play.  From the stats the author gives, 40-42 minutes of play would sound like the right amount of time for a game (as it would take 70 minutes or so of real time to play).

Can't see that happening though.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

tommysmith

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 11, 2011, 04:31:40 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 11, 2011, 11:54:39 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/ballinplay-stats-worry-for-football-2901528.html

Time to  have a clock independent of the referee ?
Countdown clock they have in Ladies football should be used.

It would stop lads strolling up the field in the last few seconds to kick frees anyway.

Eamonnca1

Yeah right. Let's slow it down to American Football style stop-and-go.

Leave the bloody games alone.

Rossfan

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 11, 2011, 06:02:02 PM
Yeah right. Let's slow it down to American Football style stop-and-go.

It already is FFS. That's what the bloody article was all about  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LeoMc

I remember keeping a stop-watch on a Junior championship. For the first half I stopped the watch every time a free was given and re-started when the ball was kicked. The ball was in play for 21 minutes out of 30.
For the second half I stopped the watch every time the ball went out of play, kick out, 45, side-line kick or free kick. The ball was in play for 12 minutes out of 32.

Magicsponge

"The most action, as defined by Carroll, was seen in the Leinster football final between Dublin and Wexford in July, when the ball remained in play for 41 minutes and 55 seconds. This was the only game where the 40-minute barrier was passed"

That's a lot of time missing for a 70 minute game. I doesn't seem so long when your watching or playing the match but I suppose the stoppages add up. I always thought the referee should stop the clock for stoppages, but now apparently that could add upwards of half an hour on to a match, which would be very testing on the players. You hardly ever see refs add more than 2 or 3 minutes injury time at the end of a match, 5 is maybe the most I've seen. Maybe they should add more time on, somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes