Will Breheny ever give it a rest ?

Started by Rossfan, April 13, 2011, 10:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

He's at it again ...
" MICKEY Harte continues to argue for change, so that provincial football champions who lose All-Ireland quarter-finals get a second chance. But why the silence from so many of his fellow managers? Most of them believe the current system is unfair but aren't nearly as vocal as Harte. Do they not realise the power they are capable of exerting? Some can wipe out club fixture programmes for months during the summer; if they got together on a national issue one suspects it wouldn't be long before change emerged.

Harte's case has unchallengeable logic. But having lost out amid a flood of spurious counter-arguments at Congress last year, there seems no great appetite to re-visit it, which is odd. Surely, history shows that persistence is the key to getting change in the GAA."

Can this floot ever get it into his head that this nonsense is a non runner?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Denn Forever

Quote from: Rossfan on April 13, 2011, 10:45:25 AM
He's at it again ...
" MICKEY Harte continues to argue for change, so that provincial football champions who lose All-Ireland quarter-finals get a second chance. But why the silence from so many of his fellow managers? Most of them believe the current system is unfair but aren't nearly as vocal as Harte. Do they not realise the power they are capable of exerting? Some can wipe out club fixture programmes for months during the summer; if they got together on a national issue one suspects it wouldn't be long before change emerged.

Harte's case has unchallengeable logic. But having lost out amid a flood of spurious counter-arguments at Congress last year, there seems no great appetite to re-visit it, which is odd. Surely, history shows that persistence is the key to getting change in the GAA."
Can this floot ever get it into his head that this nonsense is a non runner?

May be non runner but Mickey is following the percieved wisdom of getting change.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Jinxy

I was more annoyed with the rest of his article.
Huge excitement on the last day of the league and he's still griping about the system being unfair.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

And of course if Score difference was used he'd be spoutin crap about it being unfair as some teams might have played weakened teams and so on etc blah blah bullshit.

Will he have his usual middle of the most exciting part of the championship season exclusive about the lack of goals being scored in the modern day championship ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

Lads, it's called creative writing, if you can't appreciate his genius just leave it be. I love the way he can turn a complete non-event or even something good into a dour/hellish epic that would rival The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

It's amazing how he can do that with such little analysis of what actually happens. Few can can create such stale banquet out of so few crumbs.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

galwayman

Has Breheny ever written a decent article in the Indo? Jesus he doesn't half write some rubbish articles.
Just seems to be trying to fill space.
Top 100 footballers at the moment, top 100 hurlers at the moment, every football team ranked by how good he thinks they are, every hurling team ranked by how good he thinks they are etc etc etc.
Really boring shit.

macdanger2

Quote from: galwayman on April 13, 2011, 09:01:24 PM
Has Breheny ever written a decent article in the Indo?

Surely an oxymoron!!!

Rag of a paper so no point in complaining about the content

galwayman

Which daily paper tends to have the best sports coverage?
I find the Indo to actually be decent enough on a Saturday but that's about it.
Monday to Friday which would be best for sport?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: galwayman on April 13, 2011, 11:09:41 PM
Which daily paper tends to have the best sports coverage?
I find the Indo to actually be decent enough on a Saturday but that's about it.
Monday to Friday which would be best for sport?

The Examiner has by far the best coverage of all the national dailies.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

galwayman

Must admit the Examiner is one paper I have never bought. Will give it a try. Cheers.

There's no really good Irish paper for sports coverage on Sundays either. The SIndo is crap. The Sunday Tribune had some good stuff in their sports section (though it was quite small) from Dave Hannigan, Miguel Delaney and a few more.
The Sunday Times is the one I would tend to buy.Decent sport section albeit much of it relates to UK sport.

Denn Forever

Try the Examiner.  Don't know if they have a Sunday paper.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Tubberman

Quote from: galwayman on April 13, 2011, 11:28:20 PM
Must admit the Examiner is one paper I have never bought. Will give it a try. Cheers.

There's no really good Irish paper for sports coverage on Sundays either. The SIndo is crap. The Sunday Tribune had some good stuff in their sports section (though it was quite small) from Dave Hannigan, Miguel Delaney and a few more.
The Sunday Times is the one I would tend to buy.Decent sport section albeit much of it relates to UK sport.

I used to enjoy reading the Sunday papers, but I can't anymore.
I can't abide the Sindo, but there is very little else to buy. I used to get the Tribune, but that's gone under.
The Sunday Times is the English paper with a few Irish pages thrown in.
The Sunday World is..... well, you wouldn't want to be relying on it for much apart from following the Dundons et al
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Jinxy

Yeah the Tribune was a huge loss for sport.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Rossfan on April 13, 2011, 03:24:27 PM
And of course if Score difference was used he'd be spoutin crap about it being unfair as some teams might have played weakened teams and so on etc blah blah bullshit.

I thought his column was pretty reasonable. He is 100% correct to say that using head to head to separate teams level on points goes against the essence of league competition. The previous system was fairer.

Regarding Harte's suggestion he doesn't tackle the problem that it still doesn't give every beaten provincial champion a second chance. You have to draw the line somewhere or you could be giving beaten AI finalists a second chance ;D. The system as it stands is fair enough IMO, everybody knows there is no safety netonce you reach the AI series.

under the bar

QuoteCan this floot ever get it into his head that this nonsense is a non runner?

Can you explain why you are so convinced that it's a non-runner?