Armagh "Cross Community" Team

Started by Rossfan, July 24, 2009, 08:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I saw this on Hoganstand.com .
ARMAGH CROSS COMMUNITY GAA TEAM TO TRAVEL TO USA
Ulster GAA has announced that Armagh Cúchulainns Cross Community Football Team will represent Ulster at the Continental Youth Games in San Francisco, USA from Thursday 30th July to Sunday 2nd August 2009.

The USA trip is part of Ulster GAA's Community Outreach Programme: 'The Cúchulainn Initiative', where young people from non-GAA backgrounds are given the opportunity to learn the skills of Gaelic Games and to compete in the cross community hurling tournament 'The Cúchulainn Cup', which took place in May.
The team is made up of players from four schools across Armagh City - The Royal, St Patrick's College, Armagh High School and St Brigid's.

All players had no previous experience of playing Gaelic Games up until earlier this year when they received expert coaching by Ulster GAA Coaches. The boys were initially trained in the skills of hurling to compete in the Cross Community Schools Hurling Tournament, but their focus has now switched to Gaelic Football for the Continental Youth Games. This means the boys will now have the experience of playing both hurling and Gaelic football at competition level.

The team can also boast about being mentored by one of Ireland's finest players - Armagh Legend Diarmaid Marsden. Marsden is acclaimed across the island for his years of dedication to the Armagh side and for his vital part in securing Armagh's All Ireland victory in 2002. As team manager he will now lead Armagh's first ever cross community Gaelic team to compete on the international stage.

The Mooney Hotel Group, who control Armagh City Hotel, have backed this cross community initiative and are the lead sponsor of the Armagh Cúchulainns team.
President Mary McAleese and Mayor of Armagh City and District Council Thomas O'Hanlon have also expressed their full support for this pioneering cross-community initiative by Ulster GAA. Early this month President McAleese held a reception for the team at Áras an Uachtaráin and this week Mayor O'Hanlon hosted the team at the Palace in Armagh.

Ulster GAA President Tom Daly said, "The Cúchulainn Initiative is very important for Ulster GAA as we attempt to bring Gaelic Games to those from non-GAA backgrounds. Gaelic Games is something for everyone to enjoy, regardless of race, religion, social background or ability. We are delighted that the Cúchulainn Initiative has been so successful and I believe that is a measure of the steps taken by all the schools involved, the players and their families.

"The Armagh side are about to embark on a trip of a lifetime as they travel to the Continental Youth Games in America. I wish the team, their teachers and the Ulster GAA organisers a very safe and enjoyable trip. I hope that lifelong friendships will made across the four schools and that every player will continue to be involved in Gaelic Games long after they come home."

Mayor of Armagh City and District Thomas O'Hanlon, who honoured the team on Tuesday night at a Mayoral Reception said, "These young men are about to embark upon an amazing journey. It will be full of laughter and hopefully full of cheers. But, it will be in years to come, when the Royal School or the City of Armagh High School takes on St Patrick's Grammar School in a MacRory Cup Final on a St Patrick's Day and win by a goal and three points, its then we will see the seeds of hope that this initiative has planted come to fruition."

'My theme for my year as Mayor is 'Building Stronger Communities, Building a Stronger, Vibrant and Confident New Armagh.' When I looked at this team I see that Stronger, Vibrant and Confident New Armagh emerging before me. These young men are a credit to their schools, their families, their communities and to the people Armagh City and District and I sincerely wish them every s success as the represent Ulster at the Continental Youth Games in San Francisco next week
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tony Baloney

Call me a cynic but what came first, the team or a sniff of a trip to SF?

orangeman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 24, 2009, 11:59:15 PM
Call me a cynic but what came first, the team or a sniff of a trip to SF?

Ok - you're a cynic !  ;)