Club Membership Costs - Mens Vs Ladies

Started by bPreacher, May 21, 2014, 02:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

I was always under the impression that the differences in fees all stemmed from insurance being much higher for girls to play? Maybe LGFA have higher premiums?

screenexile

Quote from: general_lee on August 18, 2015, 09:42:20 AM
I was always under the impression that the differences in fees all stemmed from insurance being much higher for girls to play? Maybe LGFA have higher premiums?

As a smaller separate organisation I imagine they don't have the same clout for insurance premiums as the GAA as a whole. I don't understand why LGFA and Camogie are still separated from the GAA. What's the hold up? We all use the same facilities, LGFA and Camogie are all based out of the same County board offices and Croke Park surely bringing them together can't be that big of a problem!

general_lee

Quote from: screenexile on August 18, 2015, 09:56:01 AM

As a smaller separate organisation I imagine they don't have the same clout for insurance premiums as the GAA as a whole. I don't understand why LGFA and Camogie are still separated from the GAA. What's the hold up? We all use the same facilities, LGFA and Camogie are all based out of the same County board offices and Croke Park surely bringing them together can't be that big of a problem!
because that makes too much sense! My experience of GAA at every level from club to national is that although they always eventually do the thing that makes most sense, they just take fcukin ages to do it!

Canalman

Quote from: general_lee on August 18, 2015, 10:34:14 AM

because that makes too much sense! My experience of GAA at every level from club to national is that although they always eventually do the thing that makes most sense, they just take fcukin ages to do it!

Too democratic as an organization. A strength and weakness all mixed up in one.

Red eye

Quote from: general_lee on August 18, 2015, 10:34:14 AM

Agreed - nothing moves fast when seems logical. LGFA register each individual player - as do camogie at individual injury insurance levels. GAA register a team without having to identify players, though all members registered separately - means boys can play football and hurling having been registered once, while girls fees are significantly higher and they need to be registered twice to allow them to play football and camogie.
Associations should amalgamate - and prioritise this. Would lead to a loss of power among the LGFA and Camogie boards, this may be a disincentive among the top brass in those associations, but potential savings and coordination of fixtures would vastly outweigh that!

Zulu

It isn't the GAA holding this up as far as I know. At different times it's been the camogie or LGFA holding it up and I think it's the FGFA who are the main stumbling block now. The GAA definitely want this to happen.

magpie seanie

The explanation for the difference in fees is quite simple and is as follows:

For mens & boys football a club pays their insurance depending on how many teams they have. Most clubs with teams at all grades and maybe hurling and football would have to pay around €4000. To register players and members with the GAA it costs €2 per member.

LGFA include the insurance charge in their registration fee and it used to work out at €30-€60 per player (probably higher now) I think, depending on their age. So each player you register has her insurance fee built into the cost.

I always argued that we should charge the same club membership fee for males and females and that he onus was on all to help raise the insurance money. Some people didn't get it and thought the girls should pay their registration fee even if it exceeded the club membership, which it usually did.