Anthony Tohill - new lease of life

Started by time ticking away, June 07, 2009, 11:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

time ticking away

Just watched the sunday game and was amazed how much more relaxed everyone seems to be now that Pat isn't picking at everyone. Tohill in particular used to spend all his time defending Ulster football. The current format is much better viewing, so credit were it is due... well done RTE. (although it took awhile)
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Shortso79

totallly agree - Des is a welcome change

Canalman

Disagree a tad...... the programme has been dumbed down a bit. Too folksy for me.

Really like though seing the old timers on, a well earned (and imo much appreciated) bit of respect being accorded to these former players.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Canalman on June 07, 2009, 11:35:45 PM
Disagree a tad...... the programme has been dumbed down a bit. Too folksy for me.

Really like though seing the old timers on, a well earned (and imo much appreciated) bit of respect being accorded to these former players.

Would disagree that those interviews add anything to the program, while it's nice to accord these players the respect they deserve I'd much prefer to see the highlights of the matches on the Sunday Game. For instance, how much time was devoted to the Clare-Limerick match last night? While I can see the logic in having the Cavan-Fermanagh highlights shorter as deferred coverage was already shown on Saturday night, the Clare-Limerick match footage may as well have been from the 6.1 news report it was so short.

RTE have no preview/review program during the week where (IMHO) much of the time devoted on the Sunday Game to the analysis of the matches and the interviews with ex players already mentioned should be shown, they have the Against the Head program for the egg chasers but nothing for GAA fans. Even the much maligned TV3 have a GAA preview program on Friday evenings at 6.30pm for a half hour.

The Sunday Game is trying to be several programs at once to it's detriment. On the plus side, Des Cahill is obviously far better than Spillane as the show host, however, it has to be said that Pat was so bad that any change here was going to be a major improvement.