Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Yeah, I've always thought of them as 'rangy' but it might just be the jersies, which somehow make the players look either tall & wiry or short & stocky.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 28, 2018, 12:47:46 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 28, 2018, 12:34:55 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 28, 2018, 12:29:36 PM
The smaller pitch is probably worth a few points to Kildare and has certainly appeared to hinder Mayo in recent years.

Kildare are a tall team and with Mayo missing SOS & Parsons you'd imagine Kildare will press the Mayo kickout, having a quick think I can't imagine any of the top teams will have a smaller middle 8 then Mayo will have this summer after been one of the tallest for the last 3 or 4 years;I know they might play Coen in their or in the half back line but I just don't think he should be anywhere near a team thats been so close to winning an AI.

Are this Kildare team actually a tall team? Their kit is brilliant for making them look tall. A single colour, on jersey, togs and socks, always makes you look taller. Bill Shankly did the same think with Liverpool when he went to all red, rather than white togs.  I always seem to think Kildare are tall, and then when you stand beside them, they're just normal. Tall lads, short lads and medium lads.

Nearly a constant about Kildare down the years is that they are nearly always described as being very big and fit looking. I have wondered is this actually true or just an optical illusion from the all white kit.

In my experience a lot of times it is the latter. Yes they have tall players, but so does every other county. Side by side comparisons rarely mark Kildare out as being 'unusually' taller or bigger. Except Willie Heffernan.

Cunny Funt

Athletic and physical is more important than height nowadays.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 28, 2018, 12:56:47 PM
Athletic and physical is more important than height nowadays.

True. Irrelevant, but true :)

Dinny Breen

The smaller pitch is probably worth a few points to Kildare and has certainly appeared to hinder Mayo in recent years.

Kildare are a tall team and with Mayo missing SOS & Parsons you'd imagine Kildare will press the Mayo kickout, having a quick think I can't imagine any of the top teams will have a smaller middle 8 then Mayo will have this summer after been one of the tallest for the last 3 or 4 years;I know they might play Coen in their or in the half back line but I just don't think he should be anywhere near a team thats been so close to winning an AI.

Are this Kildare team actually a tall team? Their kit is brilliant for making them look tall. A single colour, on jersey, togs and socks, always makes you look taller. Bill Shankly did the same think with Liverpool when he went to all red, rather than white togs.  I always seem to think Kildare are tall, and then when you stand beside them, they're just normal. Tall lads, short lads and medium lads.

Our middle 8 players

Moolick 6'5
Feeley  6'3
P Cribben 6'3
Conway 6'2
K Cribben 6'0
J Murray 6'2
K Flynn 6'0
Brophy 6'2 will drop out as well while N Kelly 5'8 will push in

Dan Flynn, Hyland, Kelly, Donellan and O'Grady all 6 foot plus

just checked even Neil Flynn is marked as 6'0

So not a small team not Galway Hurlers big though, just not playing well enough to win this.

A Kildare jersey makes everyone look taller, just a beautiful jersey. 
#newbridgeornowhere

DuffleKing

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 12:14:28 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 27, 2018, 07:24:16 PM
Milton being pretty antagonistic.
Reinforcing everything I believe about the attitude of HQ.

Comical Alan, kept speaking over Joe, very unprofessional. Bad couple of days PR wise for the GAA. They are still getting hammered on Twitter.

The two appearances on Off the Ball from Comical Alan and Ned in the know were car crash stuff.

I hope noone from a professional PR background was listening in and assuming these two were typical of the GAA

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 12:58:41 PM

Our middle 8 players

Moolick 6'5
Feeley  6'3
P Cribben 6'3
Conway 6'2
K Cribben 6'0
J Murray 6'2
K Flynn 6'0

So not a small team not Galway Hurlers big though, just not playing well enough to win this.

Again in my experience, a lot of those heights are a bit inflated as well. It doesn't take a lot for a 5'10'' guy to get tagged as a 6' 0'' in the program :) Paudie Maher is tagged at 6' 1''. I'm  a genuine 6' 1'', and I'm taller than him.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on June 28, 2018, 10:09:25 AM
Milton lost his cool, which you should never do as an official spokesman.
Dave McIntyre actually stepped in to try and calm him down.
Paradise lost. Certainly coherence lost.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

Will Bradys be firing out the ham sandwiches Saturday evening, Dinny?
Great marketing opportunity in front of a global audience.

oakleaflad

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 28, 2018, 01:00:46 PM

Our middle 8 players

Moolick 6'5
Feeley  6'3
P Cribben 6'3
Conway 6'2
K Cribben 6'0
J Murray 6'2
K Flynn 6'0

Again in my experience, a lot of those heights are a bit inflated as well. It doesn't take a lot for a 5'10'' guy to get tagged as a 6' 0'' in the program :) Paudie Maher is tagged at 6' 1''. I'm  a genuine 6' 1'', and I'm taller than him.
I watched them play against Derry, not much inflated about it (though in general there is a lot of 5ft 10's listed as 6ft in programs). They are a big side, especially in the forwards, bar Niall Kelly.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Jinxy on June 28, 2018, 01:02:21 PM
Will Bradys be firing out the ham sandwiches Saturday evening, Dinny?
Great marketing opportunity in front of a global audience.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

I'd say Micko went back to Waterville with a boot full of ham that day.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 28, 2018, 01:00:46 PM

Our middle 8 players

Moolick 6'5
Feeley  6'3
P Cribben 6'3
Conway 6'2
K Cribben 6'0
J Murray 6'2
K Flynn 6'0

Even so they'll be a fair bit taller than Mayo whether they can use that to their advantage is another discussion.

Donnellys Hollow

Our middle 8 players

Moolick 6'5
Feeley  6'3
P Cribben 6'3
Conway 6'2
K Cribben 6'0
J Murray 6'2
K Flynn 6'0

That won't do. Time to recall big Willie Heff and Jason Phillips. Roli might as well tog out too given the amount of time he is spending on the field these days. Is that Broughal guy from Towers still around?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 25, 2018, 09:45:13 AM

The GAA will try and move this to Portlaoise or Tullamore. The Kildare CB are jellyfish so it will be moved.

What a mad week
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU