Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

manfromdelmonte

Shouldn't the tickets really have been divided 70-30 In favour of the home supporters ie kildare
And then let Mayo sort out their ticket holders from their allocation?

Why does a season ticket give you the right to a ticket for an away game in the championship?

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on June 28, 2018, 11:11:18 AM
Someone put up a formal home advantage analysis re US basketball a few weeks ago.

As far as I remember, it said that players' performance was not impacted at all whether they were home or away. They did find that home teams won more, and found that was most probably a result of referee's being influenced when one team had a  big advantage in terms of crowd numbers.

I think Thomond Park is a great example of that where the crowd are super at bringing incidents to the attention of the ref! Some Mayo fans think Keegan wouldn't have got his AI final black card if the incident has happened at the Davin End rather than Hill 16 end (although Mayo are the best at putting big numbers on the Hill when playing the Dubs).

So going on that analysis Kildare footballers will have no real home advantage this weekend. Although as Dinny said it'll be far less pronounced that Croke Park would have been. I think it'll be about 60/40 Mayo, rather than more like 80/20 or worse.

Of course, home advantage is a big advantage for home fans in terms of time and money.

Also I think the controversy is bound to mean Kildare put in some kind of a performance this week. Especially if Feely is back 100%.

While losing O'Shea on top of Parsons is of course bad news for Mayo, I think a more running type midfield might not be such a bad thing overall.
Surely home/away is dependent on the sport.
Mayo wouldn't have recorded many wins in Tuam, for example. They are well able to beat Galway at home
Sport is in large part emotional/psychological, all other things being equal. And GAA is especially so.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 10:26:14 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 28, 2018, 10:19:45 AM
There is undoubtedly a disconnect between the people employed to run the association, and the people who make up the association. Sometimes I think the lads above in Croke Park see us as a massive herd of cash endowed county jersey wearing Fresians, and their job is to, in the most efficient way possible, set up the games so that they can milk as much of that cash out of us as they can.

Of course the cash is reinvested in nice barnyards and coaching of young calves, but it has become the raison d'etre, rather than letting the cows do what cows do best, even if that means a little less cash in the milking buckets.

And the disconnect rears its head when they are so surprised that the cows give out about this approach.

That calf is a bit old not to have an ear tag in it. Department will be visiting that Farmer.

AZOffaly

Quote from: trailer on June 28, 2018, 11:21:41 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 10:26:14 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 28, 2018, 10:19:45 AM
There is undoubtedly a disconnect between the people employed to run the association, and the people who make up the association. Sometimes I think the lads above in Croke Park see us as a massive herd of cash endowed county jersey wearing Fresians, and their job is to, in the most efficient way possible, set up the games so that they can milk as much of that cash out of us as they can.

Of course the cash is reinvested in nice barnyards and coaching of young calves, but it has become the raison d'etre, rather than letting the cows do what cows do best, even if that means a little less cash in the milking buckets.

And the disconnect rears its head when they are so surprised that the cows give out about this approach.

That calf is a bit old not to have an ear tag in it. Department will be visiting that Farmer.

In Clare? They have the clip on earrings for the animals out there!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on June 28, 2018, 11:17:49 AM
Who's his mother?

No idea, but he's so unloved not even his mother would follow him on twitter.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 28, 2018, 11:19:51 AM
Shouldn't the tickets really have been divided 70-30 In favour of the home supporters ie kildare

Why does a season ticket give you the right to a ticket for an away game in the championship?

Said this a number of times, if Mayo play Dublin in Castlebar it'll be 15,000 fans each so no real home advantage (apart from the few fans who still live in Mayo  ;)   )

Just like when we play Mayo in AI semis and finals, there's no real advantage to Dublin as it's 50/50 tickets!

straightred

Agreed 50:50 maybe even. However, Kildare got the venue and there's no way they have got anything else

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 10:39:11 AM

Training has intensified in Kilkenny too...
Cody's taking fairly desperate measures to try and match up with Galway physically.

Rossfan

Because it does.
T&C.
It's a sign you're a true Gael.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

The smaller pitch is probably worth a few points to Kildare and has certainly appeared to hinder Mayo in recent years.

Kildare are a tall team and with Mayo missing SOS & Parsons you'd imagine Kildare will press the Mayo kickout, having a quick think I can't imagine any of the top teams will have a smaller middle 8 then Mayo will have this summer after been one of the tallest for the last 3 or 4 years;I know they might play Coen in their or in the half back line but I just don't think he should be anywhere near a team thats been so close to winning an AI.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 28, 2018, 12:29:36 PM
The smaller pitch is probably worth a few points to Kildare and has certainly appeared to hinder Mayo in recent years.

Kildare are a tall team and with Mayo missing SOS & Parsons you'd imagine Kildare will press the Mayo kickout, having a quick think I can't imagine any of the top teams will have a smaller middle 8 then Mayo will have this summer after been one of the tallest for the last 3 or 4 years;I know they might play Coen in their or in the half back line but I just don't think he should be anywhere near a team thats been so close to winning an AI.

I think the more athletic midfield approach with AOS dropping in to provide height could work out well for us though
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

AZOffaly

Are this Kildare team actually a tall team? Their kit is brilliant for making them look tall. A single colour, on jersey, togs and socks, always makes you look taller. Bill Shankly did the same think with Liverpool when he went to all red, rather than white togs.  I always seem to think Kildare are tall, and then when you stand beside them, they're just normal. Tall lads, short lads and medium lads.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 28, 2018, 12:34:55 PM

Are this Kildare team actually a tall team? Their kit is brilliant for making them look tall. A single colour, on jersey, togs and socks, always makes you look taller. Bill Shankly did the same think with Liverpool when he went to all red, rather than white togs.  I always seem to think Kildare are tall, and then when you stand beside them, they're just normal. Tall lads, short lads and medium lads.

Nearly a constant about Kildare down the years is that they are nearly always described as being very big and fit looking. I have wondered is this actually true or just an optical illusion from the all white kit.