2014 Mayo GAA Convention

Started by Mayo Club 51, December 07, 2014, 05:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on December 11, 2014, 02:46:04 PM
Horan's weaknesses as a manager. He moulds a mentality and attitude and then picks the obviously-wrong team.

Jasus Syfín what would they have won if they'd got you into their backroom team ;D :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Quote from: maigheo on December 11, 2014, 01:00:40 AM
We can speculate all we want about what went on but the bottom line is that Mort chose to walk away himself right before the connacht final,thus causing the most disruption to the team and getting the most publicity for himself.I am sure he thought there would be lots of people calling for him to be taken back but he badly miscalculated and was pretty much forgotten about until he decided to write the book.At the time I wish he decided not to leave ,as you can never have enough good players in a squad,but once he made that decision Horan was never going to take him back and rightly so.He is definitely trying his best to force his way back into the squad but I am not sure that is going to happen

It was as close to being fucked out the door as a manager can do without telling a player to leave. That Enda Varley, a player Horan would drop from the panel in mid-season two years later, was seen as a better corner forward option than Mort tells you a lot about Horan's weaknesses as a manager. He moulds a mentality and attitude and then picks the obviously-wrong team.

Moy said it was too late to change Mort, but the biggest question for me is it too late for Horan to change his ways? He's sure to be back in the big-time in the future, Mort isn't.

I find it hard to believe you've never been f*cked out a door not to recognise that being dropped like Mort was (and subsequently asked back onto the panel) does not constitute being f*cked out the door

maigheo

Jeez syferus ,sometimes you post complete garbage.How a lad from Ros can put himself forward as an expert on Mayo football is beyond me

Lar Naparka

Quote from: maigheo on December 11, 2014, 01:00:40 AM
We can speculate all we want about what went on but the bottom line is that Mort chose to walk away himself right before the connacht final,thus causing the most disruption to the team and getting the most publicity for himself.I am sure he thought there would be lots of people calling for him to be taken back but he badly miscalculated and was pretty much forgotten about until he decided to write the book.At the time I wish he decided not to leave ,as you can never have enough good players in a squad,but once he made that decision Horan was never going to take him back and rightly so.He is definitely trying his best to force his way back into the squad but I am not sure that is going to happen

It was as close to being fucked out the door as a manager can do without telling a player to leave. That Enda Varley, a player Horan would drop from the panel in mid-season two years later, was seen as a better corner forward option than Mort tells you a lot about Horan's weaknesses as a manager. He moulds a mentality and attitude and then picks the obviously-wrong team.

Moy said it was too late to change Mort, but the biggest question for me is it too late for Horan to change his ways? He's sure to be back in the big-time in the future, Mort isn't.
Nah, it wasn't.  Conoreen didn't just throw a hissy fit and storm off in a huff. According to his book, it was a premediated action. He took time to think about it, had a talk with Horan and then walked away. This was just before the Connacht final, a game Mayo almost lost. He left the Mayo panel without a thought for the disruption to the team's preparations that it was going to cause and I don't have any sympathy for him because of this.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Quote from: maigheo on December 11, 2014, 11:59:06 PM
Jeez syferus ,sometimes you post complete garbage.
Only sometimes??? :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: rrhf on December 10, 2014, 11:14:48 PM
The Mulligans etc wouldnt have been easy managed but by God they good kick ball when it mattered.  Man management is everything in this game.

How would you rate the Mort compared to Mulligan rrhf? Better? Worse? About the same?

mayo.mick

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

rrhf

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on December 12, 2014, 08:34:47 PM
The Mulligans etc wouldnt have been easy managed but by God they good kick ball when it mattered.  Man management is everything in this game.

How would you rate the Mort compared to Mulligan rrhf? Better? Worse? About the same?
mulligan a much superior footballer. But probably was handled very well by management.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: rrhf on December 14, 2014, 07:52:34 AM

mulligan a much superior footballer. But probably was handled very well by management.

Ok. The better a player is, the more inclined a manager is to stretch rules for him. You're making an argument for Horan doing his best to keep Conor happy because Conor's so good. Why not settle how good he was?

You're saying Mulligan is a much superior footballer, but he was well down the pecking order in Tyrone - most people would rate Cavanan, O'Neill, Brian McGuigan and Dooher ahead of him in that Tyrone generation. So you're saying that Conor's worth the effort, even though Tyrone's fifth-best forward is a much superior footballer? Like, that's hardly showering Conor with high praise.

Now, that was a pretty good Tyrone team. They won three All-Irelands, none of the three Mayo teams of the past twenty-five years have won any. I'm not trying to compare Mayo to Tyrone, because Mayo lose. What I am trying to do is set the bar for what you want from a forward if you consider yourself an All-Ireland contender. You're suggesting that Conor cleared that bar, but I'm suggesting that, if Mulligan was that superior to him, there's no way Conor reaches the bar.

Of course, you could could come back and make the argument that, while Conor is shite by national standards, he's certainly good enough for those apes and knuckle-draggers in the County Mayo. But I know you won't do that rrhf, because you're a gentleman and you wouldn't want to get into that sort of a row.

Conor wasn't worth the tantrums in 2012. And, having read his book, I'm not sure he was ever worth it, scoring record or no. If he didn't kick the frees, someone else would have. If ever a man needed to drink a big glass of get-over-yourself, it's The Mort.

muppet

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on December 15, 2014, 08:15:13 PM
Quote from: rrhf on December 14, 2014, 07:52:34 AM

Ok. The better a player is, the more inclined a manager is to stretch rules for him. You're making an argument for Horan doing his best to keep Conor happy because Conor's so good. Why not settle how good he was?

You're saying Mulligan is a much superior footballer, but he was well down the pecking order in Tyrone - most people would rate Cavanan, O'Neill, Brian McGuigan and Dooher ahead of him in that Tyrone generation. So you're saying that Conor's worth the effort, even though Tyrone's fifth-best forward is a much superior footballer? Like, that's hardly showering Conor with high praise.

Now, that was a pretty good Tyrone team. They won three All-Irelands, none of the three Mayo teams of the past twenty-five years have won any. I'm not trying to compare Mayo to Tyrone, because Mayo lose. What I am trying to do is set the bar for what you want from a forward if you consider yourself an All-Ireland contender. You're suggesting that Conor cleared that bar, but I'm suggesting that, if Mulligan was that superior to him, there's no way Conor reaches the bar.

Of course, you could could come back and make the argument that, while Conor is shite by national standards, he's certainly good enough for those apes and knuckle-draggers in the County Mayo. But I know you won't do that rrhf, because you're a gentleman and you wouldn't want to get into that sort of a row.

Conor wasn't worth the tantrums in 2012. And, having read his book, I'm not sure he was ever worth it, scoring record or no. If he didn't kick the frees, someone else would have. If ever a man needed to drink a big glass of get-over-yourself, it's The Mort.

That would be a brilliant name for a wine.

Imagine meeting your boss/ex/mother-in-law and putting that on the table. ;D
MWWSI 2017