Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

It feels like the GAA is at a crossroads. The disconnect between club gaels and intercounty teams is sadly growing every year and if the sight of vast swathes of empty seats at Croke Park and only 13,000 attendance between two top 6 sides yesterday in Ulster isn't enough for the GAA top brass to sit up and take notice then I don't know what is.

It shouldn't have been allowed get to this but it now feels as though the elite inter county teams are almost playing a different sport.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2019, 06:21:38 PM
It feels like the GAA is at a crossroads. The disconnect between club gaels and intercounty teams is sadly growing every year and if the sight of vast swathes of empty seats at Croke Park and only 13,000 attendance between two top 6 sides yesterday in Ulster isn't enough for the GAA top brass to sit up and take notice then I don't know what is.

It shouldn't have been allowed get to this but it now feels as though the elite inter county teams are almost playing a different sport.

What was the attendance in CP today?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hound

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 09, 2019, 07:04:50 PM

Between 36k and 37k. Can't remember the exact number

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on June 09, 2019, 07:21:53 PM

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 09, 2019, 08:48:43 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 09, 2019, 07:21:53 PM

20K tickets sold in the last few days and a lot of people paid the extra fiver on the day it seems.

FermGael

Quote from: Rossfan on June 09, 2019, 09:31:49 PM
21,192 in Clones

Was a very poor crowd I though when you had 3 well supported counties in Ulster playing in Armagh, Monaghan and Cavan.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Hound

Quote from: High Fielder on June 09, 2019, 11:34:33 AM
Kildare 14/1 to beat Dublin today. The Dublin team would need to take to the pitch mouldy drunk for Kildare to have a squeak. Those odds would probably be bigger if it was anyone else in Leinster. I'm not aware of similar odds in any sport with two teams on the pitch. This is not sport any more and people have better things to be doing than forking out good money to watch their county being humiliated.

After today, and even before it, we will talk about tiers and other solutions. Truth is, inter county is a flawed concept. Dublin are professional or semi professional, call it what you like. I read yesterday that some of them are getting 6k for guest appearances. And good luck to them. But you can't compete with that. Not what it has become. Forget what it was, because that was a different time and place. We're in a different place altogether now, and the gap is being widened by the trappings of success. We're getting towards a county not being able to field a team. If you're a Wicklow player this morning, do you go back for more next year? The GAA are trading on blind loyalty, and I hate them for that.

There are some good footballers/hurlers in Wicklow, Leitrim and every other county in Ireland. It's a sad day when there is no vehicle to allow you to play at the highest level of whatever sport you participate in. Inter county is restrictive and full of inequality and unfairness.
Jeez Louise!

You didn't read that "some of them" are getting €6k for guest appearance, you read than an unnamed source claimed that one of them once received €6k. You didn't read anything about the context behind what the event was and that it was the only time he'd ever received that much and unlikely to do so again. Instead it was written so that idiots would think all the Dubs were out every Friday doing gigs for €6k a pop!

All you have to do is think about it for a second to realise how utterly preposterous it is, but when you want to put the boot into the Dubs, "thinking" doesn't come into it. Do you really think people are going to pay James McCarthy, Niall Scully, Paul Mannion etc etc thousands of pounds to say absolutely nothing!!?? 

The current biggest earners for guest appearances who are still starting players are Aidan O'Shea and Michael Murphy. And I'd bet they turn down a lot more than they accept. The two Dubs who do a bit of it are Bernard and Philly. Bernard does it as part of his business and at this stage everyone knows Philly's motivations. Some of the other Dubs do product endorsements, as do high profile players from Kerry, Mayo, etc.

Nobody comes close to what the Gooch was earning in his last year or two from guest appearances. But he was one of the best ever players at the end of his career, with plenty of stories to tell, so was well worth the money he was getting (and still there's only handful of opportunities) 

High Fielder

Settle there. I doubt many of them ever picked up a shovel

Hound

Quote from: High Fielder on June 10, 2019, 09:08:10 AM
Settle there. I doubt many of them ever picked up a shovel
Well Paul Flynn did.

Everyone in the team either has a job or is in college. 

High Fielder

College won't kill you and the jobs they work at won't either. No begrudgery by the way and good luck to them. But Dublin players have some serious advantages. They're not alone by any means, but the playing field is far from even. I don't understand the need to defend that apart from this romantic notion that the lads are all killed working and can still do the things they do. Come on now

Hound

Quote from: High Fielder on June 10, 2019, 09:31:00 AM
College won't kill you and the jobs they work at won't either. No begrudgery by the way and good luck to them. But Dublin players have some serious advantages. They're not alone by any means, but the playing field is far from even. I don't understand the need to defend that apart from this romantic notion that the lads are all killed working and can still do the things they do. Come on now
As I've said numerous times before, Dublin players have a huge advantage in that they want to go to college in Dublin or to work in Dublin. Last I checked not a single one was in college or worked outside Dublin. So we've far less time and energy wasted to travel to train.   

But apart from distance between home county and work, there's very little difference in the jobs the Dublin lads do compared to the jobs the Kerry, Mayo, Kildare lads do.  Teachers, physios, bankers, accountants, etc.

High Fielder

Do you know how much they earn too?

Hound

Dinny Breen

Combined Semi Final Crowds

Leinster (36,126)
Dublin/Kildare/Laois/Meath

Ulster (34,771)
Cavan/Armagh/Monaghan/Fermanagh/Donegal/Tyrone

Ulster (29,995)
Cavan/Armagh/Tyrone/Donegal

Connacht (25,833)
Galway/Sligo/Mayo/Roscommon

Munster (8,165)
Cork/Limerick/Clare/Kerry

Even a shit Leinster Championship gets more people at their semi-finals.
#newbridgeornowhere