Portrush gets the Open

Started by stew, October 21, 2015, 12:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

T Fearon

You cannot get parked in Portrush on a half decent summer's day as it is.

omaghjoe

Great news

Golf is shite but should bring some much needed revenue to the area as well as positive coverage.

pullhard

Quote from: T Fearon on October 22, 2015, 06:20:43 AM

I agree this event as it is today will a logistical nightmare. Public transport is poor. lack of accommodation

NAG1

Quote from: pullhard on October 22, 2015, 01:48:19 PM

I agree this event as it is today will a logistical nightmare. Public transport is poor. lack of accommodation

3 1/2 years to plan it and I am sure it will be fine. The experience of the Irish Open will stand to the organisers and I am sure the Open Committee has more than enough experience in handling such events.

Most locals who will be attending will take advantage of the shuttle bus system plus there will be more trains laid on etc.

Hotels might be a problem but there are quite a number in that area within a 20/30 minute drive.

pullhard

Quote from: NAG1 on October 22, 2015, 02:00:16 PM

3 1/2 years to plan it and I am sure it will be fine. The experience of the Irish Open will stand to the organisers and I am sure the Open Committee has more than enough experience in handling such events.

Most locals who will be attending will take advantage of the shuttle bus system plus there will be more trains laid on etc.

Hotels might be a problem but there are quite a number in that area within a 20/30 minute drive.

like i said on the golf thread i lived by hoylake for years, well connected by road and rail, that was still a nightmare when the open was on.
If I was a local i'd be concerned about the visitors coming in for the golf and leaving without spending in the local shops.

That said Kellys will should be buzzing on the wednesday before!

thewobbler

The funny thing is that even though the Irish Open was a sellout (there genuinely won't be an awful lot more people at the Open Championship, as the course isn't that extensible), the much feared traffic problems never arose. Unlike the average summer Sunday, the Open will have stewarding, park and rides, one-way systems, plus extended public transport routes. I'm not saying it won't be bad; just not as bad as normal Sunday.

I doubt there'll be that much of a kick-back for the Portush economy itself. It's not like these visitors will have anywhere to stay in the town unless they fact a caravan, so they'll have little reason to venture into it. Belfast will enjoy a considerable boom I reckon.

Minder

I remember the local businesses in Portrush complaining that spectators weren't going near the town centre in 2012. Mind you there could be people looking for those wee handgun lighters or glow sticks so they might do ok
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rois

I went to the Ryder Cup in Gleneagles last year.  One train line into the place, and still an hour outside of Edinburgh.  It was so well organised that it coped without too many problems (mad train queues on the way home excepted).  No local accommodation so everyone stayed in Edinburgh/Glasgow. 
Quite similar to the Open being up at Portrush - there's a train line and whilst it may not be as high quality, I'm sure they can increase frequency from Belfast and Derry.
I thought the Irish Open at Newcastle worked really well too.  It can be done!

armaghniac

Quote from: Rois on October 22, 2015, 05:21:02 PM
I went to the Ryder Cup in Gleneagles last year.  One train line into the place, and still an hour outside of Edinburgh.  It was so well organised that it coped without too many problems (mad train queues on the way home excepted).  No local accommodation so everyone stayed in Edinburgh/Glasgow. 
Quite similar to the Open being up at Portrush - there's a train line and whilst it may not be as high quality, I'm sure they can increase frequency from Belfast and Derry.
I thought the Irish Open at Newcastle worked really well too.  It can be done!

The problem in Ireland is that there isn't the rolling stick to offer extra trains. NIR have a regular train or two that potter back and forth to Derry, they don't necessarily have a couple more to lay on as specials and even if they did the single track line would be quite limiting. But I'm sure plans will be put in place.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

stew

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

deiseach

I went to the Ryder Cup in Gleneagles last year.

Going off on a tangent here, but how did you find the crowd? I read suggestions that the concentrated nature of the action - there would only be four matches on the course at any one time, and no expectation that matches would finish at the 18th where lots of people usually congregate - made for a combustible mix.

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on October 23, 2015, 02:02:45 PM

Going off on a tangent here, but how did you find the crowd? I read suggestions that the concentrated nature of the action - there would only be four matches on the course at any one time, and no expectation that matches would finish at the 18th where lots of people usually congregate - made for a combustible mix.

She just turned around, and there they were.

Boom Boom. I'll get my coat.

Boycey

What do you mean by combustible??

Rois

It never felt too congested, apart from at the green.  We picked a hole and stayed there till each game came through, then went on another six or so holes and did the same again.  Meant we had to wait a while in between but that was fine, especially where you managed to get a seat in one of the grandstands.  The first hole on Thursday was mental but made for a brilliant atmosphere.
We applied for tickets for next year but didn't get them  :(