Dublin v Kerry 2023 Senior All Ireland final

Started by Blowitupref, July 16, 2023, 07:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2023, 07:39:17 PM
Has there ever been do few posts about an AI Final?
I thought this being "the Final that everyone wanted(sic)".....we'd be 20 pages in by now ::)
Can't call this game. I've thought long and hard about it, but can't see a clear winner...

Redhand Santa

It's certainly a very intriguing final between two teams with some of best players of their generation. I'm sure come Sunday everyone with an interest in football will want to see it and I've no doubt it'll make for a good final.

But from a neutral point of view it's probably the worst final possible. It's always nice to have a clear preference for one team in a final (usually the underdog) but in this case it's hard to really get behind either team given their success. A few years ago I was delighted to see Dublin make their breakthrough beating Kerry but they've been so dominant for a long spell since.

I'd have much preferred a Dublin Derry final and would have been more than happy for Derry to win.

Redhand Santa

Given Kerry won it last year and they're very very hard to listen to about football I think I'll narrowly favour the Dubs. It does leave you with that bit of fear of more domination given what has happened so recently but hopefully this will be a goodbye all Ireland for lots of their key men.

AustinPowers

The only thing  is it's great to see  the best players  play on All Ireland final day , ie, David Clifford.  I've come to appreciate  how good James McCarthy is as well, but I still won't  be cheering for Dublin

So I suppose  I'll be hoping Kerry win and  the greatest player  of this generation to lift Sam would probably be fitting.

rrhf

Who have Dublin played anyone mayo excepted of potential? V handy route to a final one could argue.. Kerry have played many better teams. Could this be a deciding factor?

BuzzCagney

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2023, 07:39:17 PM
Has there ever been so few posts about an AI Final?
I thought this being "the Final that everyone wanted(sic)".....we'd be 20 pages in by now ::)

It be as one sided as last Sunday when Kerry forwards click. Dubs haven't been tested. The Kerry and Derry game was all Ireland to me as kerry won't be as poor in final.

Rossfan

Quote from: rrhf on July 25, 2023, 10:23:18 PM
Who have Dublin played anyone mayo excepted of potential? V handy route to a final one could argue.. Kerry have played many better teams. Could this be a deciding factor?
Dublin played and bet
Laois, Kildare x2, Louth, Sligo, Mayowestros  and Monaghan. Hekd Ros to a draw.
Kerry bet Tipp, Clare, Cork, Louth, Tyrone and Derry.
Lost to Mayowestros.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

There's not much out there for Kerry and Dublin to feel threatened by. Especially the Quarter Finals which were heavily advantaged to the team finishing top of the Round-Robin Group.

Galway would have been a threat if they did not have tsunami of injuries.

But we have the final we all wanted..........so we should be happy with that.

Milltown Row2

Do people want the worst teams in the finals or the best? People are strange
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 25, 2023, 11:47:28 PM
Do people want the worst teams in the finals or the best? People are strange

Nah, don't mind who is in the Final.
Don't like the assumption that this is what everyone wanted.
Of course you want to see the best play each other in a Final.
Just the Dublin media and the Kerry entitlement that get on one's wick.

Hoping Dublin win this one.

Jell 0 Biafra

It's obviously not the final that everybody wanted, that's just silly talk.  People would naturally  want their own county in the final instead, and failing that, a lot of neutrals would want to see someone new/less successful breaking through.    But, it is the best two teams in the country at the moment, and it should be a close run game (as they almost always have been over the past decade or so).  So it has the makings of a good final.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: weareros on July 25, 2023, 01:21:34 PM
Quote from: BuzzCagney on July 25, 2023, 08:52:09 AM
Clifford  could put up a big Tally Sunday as dubs fullback line is very loose. Wouldn't be surprised to see him score 2-6.

And yet Cluxton has not conceded a goal yet this championship (though EOD should have scored an open goal for Mayo).

McLaughlin
Hasta la victoria siempre

Estimator

There was a picture of the 2011 AI minor programme on twitter yesterday. Dublin team included: Robert McDaid, Eric Lowndes, John Small, Jack McCaffrey, Cormac Costello, Ciaran Kilkenny and Paul Mannion. Davy Byrne was on the bench and Niall Scully was on the wider panel, not the match day squad.

I think 7 of those are in contention to start on Sunday, which is not only a serious amount to bring through from minors, but to still have them around 12 years later is some going.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Estimator on July 26, 2023, 08:43:37 AM
There was a picture of the 2011 AI minor programme on twitter yesterday. Dublin team included: Robert McDaid, Eric Lowndes, John Small, Jack McCaffrey, Cormac Costello, Ciaran Kilkenny and Paul Mannion. Davy Byrne was on the bench and Niall Scully was on the wider panel, not the match day squad.

I think 7 of those are in contention to start on Sunday, which is not only a serious amount to bring through from minors, but to still have them around 12 years later is some going.

And did they not lose that final to Tipp? Just shows you winning the minor final isn't always the answer.

Hound

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 26, 2023, 10:10:40 AM
Quote from: Estimator on July 26, 2023, 08:43:37 AM

And did they not lose that final to Tipp? Just shows you winning the minor final isn't always the answer.
Never heard any of them talk about this, but I'd imagine the huge personal disappointment of losing an AI final where they were favs (notwithstanding that was an excellent Tipp team) but then to witness at so close hand the joy of the senior team who finally won an All Ireland later that day, must have acted as tremendous motivation for them.